• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

Possibly controversial, but I can’t stand Phantom Hourglass. Hate it! The whole going through the same dungeon again and again under a time limit always felt so un-Zelda-ish. It was enough for me to not bother with Spirit Tracks too.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
actually ima double post cause i just thought of more, sorry bros

-just cause TP doesn't have as high a resolution as more recent games doesn't mean it has bad or eyestraining graphics
-ilia is a pretty cool character who gets a lot more hate than she deserves
-mipha is insufferable and miphink sucks

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
actually ima double post cause i just thought of more, sorry bros

-just cause TP doesn't have as high a resolution as more recent games doesn't mean it has bad or eyestraining graphics
-ilia is a pretty cool character who gets a lot more hate than she deserves
-mipha is insufferable and miphink sucks
2 out of 3, not bad

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
Kass should be in Smash ahead of any other LoZ character. (I've voiced this before, but others may yell at me for not wanting more quote-unquote, "important" characters instead, such as Impa or the Four Champions.)

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
MM's dungeons are the weakest part of the game (though I honestly don't mind because I don't like dungeons anyway).

The Triforce Quest is legit fun as far as fetch quests go.

Age of Calamity offers the best attempt at cast-wide characterization in Zelda (eggbot aside; frick that thing).

King of Red Lions is the best companion.

WW doesn't have a lot of dungeons, but the dungeons that are there are fun and well-designed.

TP is the least visually pleasing game in the series.

OoT's Water Temple is the best dungeon in that game.

Sailing is one of the best mechanics in the entire series.

Water-themed dungeons in general suck. Some just suck less.

You can be a Zelda fan regardless of how many games you've played or which one you've played.

Zelda as a series peaked as far as visual style is concerned with WW.

Dungeons would be better if they were combat-focused and not puzzle-focused. I'd much rather have to exercise my skills with weapons to progress than figure out which eye to shoot or which block to move. It ruins the pace for me.

SS has a painfully generic soundtrack.

-BotW is one of the best games in the series, and the idea that it's fundamentally that different to the other games in the series is unfounded. The game has an overworld that you traverse/explore, and it has dungeons where you navigate through and solve puzzles in to fight a boss, and upon defeating said boss you obtain a HC. It also has sidequests, etc. It follows the Zelda formula just like any other game, only focusing more on certain elements of the formula which is something most other Zelda games do. For example, MM focuses on sidequests, Zelda 2 focuses on navigation and combat, SS focuses more on dungeon content than ever before to the point where even the overworld feels like a dungeon at times, and BotW focuses more on open exploration and puzzles/riddles. In regards to the open exploration part, BotW isn't even the first game to focus on this; Zelda 1 and ALBW have open exploration as well, and there's elements of it in ALttP and TWW too. Just because Nintendo decided to focus on different elements of the Zelda formula for this game like they do for other games in the series doesn't mean that not all elements of the formula are there to some extent, nor is BotW a bad game because it doesn't focus as much on the elements you would've preferred.

-More of an unpopular fact than opinion, but the series has always followed a timeline since Zelda 2.

I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure what is necessarily popular around here. But, based on my experience, I'd say one (of many) unpopular Zelda opinions I have is that A Link Between Worlds is better than A Link to the Past. I wrestled with this for a while, as ALTTP was (and still is) one of my favorites. But I feel ALBW is better in most respects. I won't list all of my reasons why here, but if I'm looking to replay one of the games, I'm more inclined to reach for my 3DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom