• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD Skyward Sword HD Amiibo Support

Skyward Sword HD
I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in Nintendo as a company. They have had some shady business practices in the past, but, on top of the game being a full price Switch game - significantly more money than the original Wii release despite very few if any notable changes - forcing us to spend extra money on a toy just to unlock a quality of life feature that has no business not being included to begin with is complete and utter bull****.

I thought about canceling my pre-order of the game itself, but ultimately decided not to. However, there is almost a 0% chance I will be purchasing this amiibo for any reason other than as a cool collectable, and even then I've never actually purchased one before so the chance I will this one is low. Most amiibo I don't have too much of an issue with, since usually they just contain extra stuff that's nice but not needed, but this is something that could have and should have been included from the start, especially considering the high price tag the game already has. This is an excellent example of corporate greed and I am extremely disappointed.

Except for some poor Breitbart on fringe subjects and especially CNN articles I don't think I have ever seen something so blatantly contradicting (at least they attempt to hide it to some degree) but God! These kinds of comments make me wonder about the future of humanity.

As I said before when you buy the game your telling Nintendo it's okay to keep on doing it so whatever you decide to do and you later don't like the game just remember it's on you and I won't be able to take your type seriously when complaints amount later in August how little content there is and review bashing on Youtube shows up by the usual suspects. I tried to warn you all.

Just remember: if you choose to buy shady games like this that means Nintendo see's your okay with it PERIOD. No ands/if's or butts. Nintendo views it as a whole and don't care if you don't like the Amiibo locking out part. They just know you will keep supporting whatever they throw next and I don't take this lightly.

This is the only mainstream Zelda I have skipped on both the Wii for obvious reasons and now the Wii U I mean Switch U or whatever...........oh balderdash!
YARN | 15 spotted puddles stolen? Oh, balderdash! | 101 Dalmatians (1961) Animation | Video clips by quotes | 0ee68b2b | 紗 (getyarn.io).:whistle:

frankly I thought that how amiibo were handled in twilight princess hd and metroid samus returns were worse since that's content locked behind a $40 paywall or however much those amiibo go for these days
I just don't feel it as much here, I probably used up my energy on those two
At least nobody really cares that much about Wolf Link. He's a take it or leave it Amiibo. Until I see it randomly on the web I forget that BOTW even supported him so it really doesn't impact gameplay. Frankly I am glad I didn't get him as I think he would ruin the game attacking enemies when I don't want him to.
Edit: If they had used the Guardian Amiibo to let you control one and 'register' it as a horse (somehow being rerouted from your maximum of 5) God that would be amazing!

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Here's a list of other games' amiibo functions that could be seen as a QoL improvement, gameplay boost, or more content. They are mostly taken from Nintendo's website. This is not including functions that give you in-game items whether in-game or amiibo-exclusive.
  • Detective Pikachu - allows you to see all Pika Prompts you've already collected or missed
  • Super Mario Odyssey - Gives you various gameplay assists such as invincibility or more health
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
    • Samus Aran: Tap to unlock an Aeion Energy Reserve Tank that contains 500 units of Aeion energy. Tap again after completing the game to access a gallery of art from the original Game Boy game Metroid II Return of Samus.
    • Metroid: Tap to mark the closest Metroid’s location on the map. Tap again after completing the game to access Fusion mode, the game’s hardest difficulty mode. (Note that Fusion mode is different from Hard mode, which unlocks automatically as soon as you beat the game.)
    • Zero Suit Samus™: Tap to unlock an Energy Reserve Tank that contains 299 units of energy. Tap again after completing the game to access the Sound Test, which enables you to listen to BGM tracks from the game.
    • Samus™: Tap to unlock a Missile Reserve Tank that contains 50 missiles or 10 super missiles. Tap again after completing the game to access a gallery of art from this game.
  • Splatoon 2 - Allows you to save outfits and take photos with characters.
  • Fire Emblem: Echoes - special dungeon, summon allies
  • Yoshi's Wooly World - summon Poochy, special time trial
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf - summon amiibo characters to your campsite
  • Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack/2 - special Shovel Knight fight
  • Picross3D - additional puzzles
  • Metroid: Federation Force - extra ammo
  • Star Fox: Guard - call in Calvary
  • Twilight Princess HD - Cave of Shadows
  • Mega Man Legacy Edition - 11 Bonus Levels
  • Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash - Activate Super Chibi-Robo
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Hide-and-seek challenge
Most other bonuses are cosmetics or helpful items, or are required to play a certain mode/game like in Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival.

Honestly, I have no issue with the new amiibo. The prevailing argument against it in this thread however seems to be that the ability granted should be accessible in the base game. On the contrary, I feel like the amiibo bonus is a bit lacking, and I'm surprised Nintendo didn't lock something more substantial behind it. This has not just now become a cash grab, it's always been one. Amiibos have been used for things like this since they were introduced and honestly this one just seems a bit lame; I don't see it as much different from any other amiibo simply giving you an in-game bonus that, while helpful, is not at all necessary. I think what is happening here is people are seeing that you are able to return to the sky at the bird statues and seeing this as an important QoL upgrade rather than simply a helpful unnecessary bonus. This is made especially glaring by the relative lack of other changes made to the remake. As for speedrunning, amiibo runs have existed before this and will likely continue in the future. The true argument here is whether amiibo are a cheap cash-grab or a fun collectible; while I see them as both, I don't think it is an issue that only relates to this one game or function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom