• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Are Your Hopes for Zelda Wii U?

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
Now that we seen more footage and a better look at the world and map, what are your hopes?

There's tons but something I hope is lots of secret hidden places in the over world, like for example, what if you could find the Triforce? But it's optional and there is no hints to where it is, you'll just have to find it on your own, and there are only small hints from say towns people/villagers that you can find it but they don't indicate where.

And also exciting towns, Zelda 2 was made so long ago but it's the only Zelda with more then just Castle Town, Kakariko village, and maybe small places where you can buy some stuff, exciting big towns with lots to do would be amazing.

What about you guys?

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I've been really wanting Zelda to be more like The Elder Scrolls, or rather what it actually was before modern Zelda.... Ocarina of Time was a great game, but the series can't keep living off of its legacy. That's unacceptable!

Not to say modern Zelda is bad, but the direction is, because Zelda has never had great stories and so we focus on gameplay, but without decent gameplay(yes I count the overworld as gameplay), we'll just have something mediocre. Modern Zelda is not mediocre, but I felt it was moving in that direction.

I'm hoping with games like A Link Between Worlds and Zelda Wii U we can move in a better less linear direction. Thank you.

I can say right now that if the method for wandering around and finding new locations is like Skyrim or Fallout 3, then I will be very pleased. I enjoyed those games immensely, and actually playing Fallout 3 was what gave me an interest in the Elder Scrolls series. It gave me the trust to go "you know, that fully allowed wandering and ranging was really fun! It's something I've never been able to do before in a game. I want more of that!" So if there's that level of focus on traversal in the new Zelda game, I'm absolutely all for that. What's more, one of the brilliant things about F3 was that different locations gave you small clues to the existence of other locations, allowing you to find them without being directly told. At least, sometimes they'd add a waypoint to your map but that's just a blip on a map so it still counts. Knowing something is "sorta that way-ish" is better than being led there by the nose because story reasons.

I'm also hoping to see better combat. In a lot of Zelda games, I felt they squandered the opportunity to have more fun, tense and interesting combat more often. They had these cool, roughly human-shape enemies and only used them in a handful of places. They didn't fight back hard, and killing them was easy. With Skyward Sword, which to me is probably one of the most conflicting titles in the series, at least used its enemies like Lizalfos a lot more often and made them touch to fight. They're fast, deal good damage and can get fairly tricking when fought in pairs. I'd like to see more interesting and intense combats, and that fits nicely in with traversal. When you give the player more means of moving around the landscape, you also offer them more opportunities to encounter monsters in an interesting way. You provide the opportunity to allow them to use terrain to their advantage and formulate a tactical approach. When the player wins over a monster because of such an approach, they feel rewarded for it. By contrast, in Twilight Princess' Hyrule Field, you move along a flat plain and see an enemy, who only fails to notice and attack you because they're programmed to only approach you once you get close enough. There's no terrain hiding you, they could be staring right at you and just turn away. You easily run up to them and kill them. It eliminates any excitement out of doing it after about the 4th time. What's the point of having enemies like that if beating them doesn't feel like a little triumph?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
-Link to just be Link, with the green tunic, no customization or anything like that.
-A good linear story like SS or TP.
-Good complicated dungeons like SS and TP.
-A snow area.
-Items to be hidden in the dungeons or in the overworld, I don't want to buy them.
-For it to be like Zelda, and not Skyrim or anything like that.
-A start up to the story, aka an introduction, I don't want to be thrown into the world, I want context.

Salem

SICK
  1. More dungeons than ever before.
  2. Make items actually useful, not one item used for each dungeon and then it's done or only used to unlock the next area, therefore it's more of a glorified key than an item, yeah I want none of that.
  3. Don't make the over world barren or take too long between one area to another like WW and TP, the regular movement should be so fun and interesting that you don't want to warp to the next area.
  4. Skippable cutscenes from the start, actually focus less on cutscenes in general
  5. Let the actual game start as quickly as possible, don't be like TP or SS or even WW.

1) Plenty of dungeons
2) Make items useful outside of dungeons
3) Have at least a few towns to visit
4) Make a believable relationship between Link and Zelda
5) Ice dungeon
6) A dragon boss

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
- Lots of optional dungeons with neat treasures besides just rupees and Pieces of Heart.
- Lots of main dungeons, too. Preferably at least 8 or 9.
- Huge towns. The overworld is enormous, so big towns too please.
- Random super powerful enemies in the overworld that you can't beat at first until you get farther into the game.
- Being able to swim and dive. I saw an ocean on the map. It'd be cool to explore that underwater and stuff, as well as the rivers. There was also a gigantic lake on the map, too.
- Link's new design being his main design for the game.
- A cool partner character like a fairy or something.
- Lots of caves and dense forests to explore.
- A huge, labyrinth-like cave system that's easy to get lost in.
- Lots of cool NPCs and Majora's Mask-quality sidequests.
- Good character development.
- An exciting story.

Probably my biggest hopes for Zelda Wii U include more interactive, interesting NPC's and more civilization.

The reason I say this is because it has been established that this new Zelda is going to have a massive overworld - probably the biggest we've ever seen. This worries me. One of the things I appreciate most from previous Zelda titles such as Majora's Mask and even The Wind Waker is simply the amount of characters that inhabit the world, and the ability this feature has to lead to extensive and rewarding side quests. We have Clock Town, which is filled with characters from all kinds of walks of life (as well as the surrounding regions with Zora, Goron, and Gerudo villages), and the Great Sea, which includes Windfall Island, Dragon Roost Island, Outset Island, etc etc.
I love this aspect of Zelda games, however in recent titles I feel it's been lacking. Twilight Princess really disappointed me, I share the complaint many Zelda fans express of being excited about such a big world, but being ultimately let down by the emptiness of it. Even in very inhabited areas, such as Castle Town, few characters you could even talk to or interact with. And Kakariko village - who freaking lives there? Renado, his daughter, and Barnes? Unless they're inbreeding with the Gorons I don't even see how that town is even sustainable.
Skyward Sword had similar issues, we were given big areas, but with nothing in them. A few Kikwi scattered about Faron Woods, a wandering Goron . . . I mean come on, I felt so lonely.

My biggest fear with Zelda Wii U is that this huge world will be as empty as other recent titles. I am optimistic they will address the problem, but still, it would be a major let down if there was nothing to actually do in this latest version of Hyrule (or wherever this game takes place). I'm really hoping for an experience we haven't seen for quite some time in the series - a world filled with fun and interesting characters, races, and villages.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Even in very inhabited areas, such as Castle Town, few characters you could even talk to or interact with. And Kakariko village - who freaking lives there? Renado, his daughter, and Barnes? Unless they're inbreeding with the Gorons I don't even see how that town is even sustainable.

To be fair half the town was killed by shadow beasts, but I'm off topic...

...What am I hopping for in this great new game. Well many things that I would like to see have been discussed above in this thread. So the main thing I ask for from this game is that it takes advantage of the many innovations made in the sires over the years especially in the last two 3D Zeldas SS and TP these games made several great additions to the sires (despite their many short comings). My biggest problem with SS was how it dropped many great features that appeared in TP (mostly relating to story "world presentation" not "world building" both games were terrible at that). SS also dropped mechanics that I thought had become standard fare in Zelda games Like hidden caves and a proper day night cycle. ZWiiU seems to be bringing back a day night cycle, the sailcloth/deku leaf and A great horse back riding system so I'm helpful that more features from past games will continue to reappear this time around.

P.S. Feal free to ask me what I think the deference between Wold Presentation and World building is if your not sure, I don't think I was being very explanatory.

I want to see a heavily populated world, though that appears to be unlikely. Especially since the plot in Zelda usually involved saving the world from destruction, and yet traversing through the environment, I probably encounter less than 100 people total, there's a huge disconnect there. Nintendo does not have to actually have to create hundreds of characters each with their own dialogue. As long as they can achieve that sense of large scale population, for example, lots of houses in the distance that I can see but not travel to, I would be satisfied with that.

Djinn

and Tonic
I want more than one (populated) town to visit. Enough of the CastleTown, then Kakariko, and TP's little tease of that emptied out town. I want multiple towns to visit with lots of various NPCs in them. I normally do not count the Goron/Zora homes since majority of the time those include 1-2 useful NPCs and about 10-15 perfect clones of the same character. But I want a large Hyrule with lots of Hylian towns and villages spread throughout.

And things to do in the overworld other than obstacles that mostly annoy you on your way to the next dungeon. I always thought majority of the time the enemies in the oveworld only served the purpose of not having the place be completely empty. Even though an empty place that only has a few random enemies to fight and that's it is still what I would consider completely empty. At least empty of anything interesting.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
More towns, more connections, and most of all, I hope that this giant world they're planning isn't going to be extremely stretched out for no reason. From what I've heard, it's going to be a large, beautiful world, which is great, but I hope there are more locations to visit on top of that, whereas in Twilight Princess, it just seemed like they made the world bigger and didn't add more locations.

Also, back to the connections thing, I want more characters to feel attached to. They're getting better at this, but even in Skyward Sword, there was really only Zelda and maybe Groose if you like him enough. What I think they should do is give Link multiple friends around his age and have them play an extremely important role in the story, rather than only appearing every once in a while. And when I say multiple friends, I mean there's like a group of them (like, four or five including Link). I would be fine with Link having a little bit of a social life, so it doesn't always seem like he's saving the world out of his love for Zelda, or out of his tendency to be a hero for no reason.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I want to see the side quests have more of an impact on the world. Most side quests only reward is a heart piece/rupees/upgraded storage item. In Skyward Sword, the overarching side quest is collecting gratitude crystals for Beatraeux. And when finished, Skyloft becomes monster free at night. I think this is a really cool detail that can be so easily unnoticed. I want to see a few more things like this in Wii U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom