• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Disappointing????

I don't really agree with 1 and 4. But there could have made more dungeons and the lack of exploration is the biggest flaw the game has imo.

This is something that I have come to learn over the years that helps [me]:

Never set your expectations too high; you'll almost always end up disappointed. There's nothing wrong with being excited for a new [Zelda] game, but take it from me: when you set your sights exceedingly high, disappointment is always sure to follow. :yes:

I completely agree with this. People have said Demise was easy and they beaten him in three minutes using the same technique, please tell me your techniques who ever you are, because I tried to attack him after shield blocking and got hit by lightning. That made me HAVE to use a lightning strike to beat him. I really don't care about difficulty like some of you, I care for a game. Thats what Skyward Sword was, a really fun game. I heard something about Skyward Sword being the anti-Ocarina of Time. I am putting that in my sig because it makes complete sense. IF you even argue that it isn't, I will tell you that OoT was too scared to give me another Lizalfos after the second dungeon ( This is from memory.) All I find are Tekites, Keese, Bubbles, Deku Scrubs. I barely find a challenging enemy, why are there no Moblins outside the Forest on normal. ( I remember seeing one in a dungeon from MQ.) In SS, I find a Bokoblin every twenty feet! That was just for anyone that was gonna go up against me and say OoT was not the opposite or something like that. Not trying to hurt anyone, or making complaints, just to stop anyone from getting into rage. A lot of you said you wanted SS to be perfect and were disappointed that it wasn't.....THERE IS NO PERFECT! If anything was perfect we wouldn't exist! ( Not even going into that. Hold on, need to go!

Last edited:

Kybyrian

Honestly, I did find Skyward Sword to be a bit displeasing. I expected really immersive combat that would sweep me off of my feet, yet what I got were finnicky controls that were too responsive or unresponsive half of the time, with more emphasis on too responsive. This really made me disappointed when it came to the 1-on-1 swordfights everyone anticipated.

I also found myself wanting more from the game. It's weird. I almost felt like I was striving for something great, something utterly fantastic in the world that would take me beyond what I've come to recognize as enjoyment. Yet there was nothing like that in Skyward Sword. The gameplay could be fun, sure, but it could also be really boring. The puzzles often times were so stacked that it took away from a dungeon. I never got that ultimate feeling I was looking for in exploration and difficulty in Skyward Sword.

The game could have definitely been better, that's for sure. There were some nice bonuses... like the new items that were introduced and some of the different concepts they applied. It just wasn't the kind of game that I was expecting, and I suppose that's really the bad thing about all the hype that comes with a game. If anything, I feel like I'll be a lot more impressed with the HD Zelda on Wii U because of its lack of publicity. I'd like it to come out as soon as possible after the Wii U. Games are just better when you don't expect as much out of them as you get.

K

Kody7

ugh, yeah i was disappointed. My biggest problem with the game, besides repetitive quest, bosses, etc, was the overworld. Personally i am a huge fan of TP for many reasons. i dont see why so many people hate it because in some ways it was very similar to OoT. both those games had amazing overworlds. and what was so similar about their overworlds is how they actually seemed like real places (plenty of towns, villages, people, etc) and the dungeons were placed in places that didnt seem too out of the ordinary. instead of SS where its just a bunch of random nothingness. Exploring is whats most important to me in a zelda adventure and i guess thats why i think OoT and TP are similar. MM is still my favorite zelda title but TP is second with OoT third. SS is not even close to the top, i had more fun playing the oracle series than this, hell even pokemon crystal ranks higher than SS and its not even a zelda game! They left a lot of good stuff outta SS. I still love the series and recomend everyone atleast gives SS a try, but for me it was just a letdown.

Honestly, I did find Skyward Sword to be a bit displeasing. I expected really immersive combat that would sweep me off of my feet, yet what I got were finnicky controls that were too responsive or unresponsive half of the time, with more emphasis on too responsive. This really made me disappointed when it came to the 1-on-1 swordfights everyone anticipated.

I also found myself wanting more from the game. It's weird. I almost felt like I was striving for something great, something utterly fantastic in the world that would take me beyond what I've come to recognize as enjoyment. Yet there was nothing like that in Skyward Sword. The gameplay could be fun, sure, but it could also be really boring. The puzzles often times were so stacked that it took away from a dungeon. I never got that ultimate feeling I was looking for in exploration and difficulty in Skyward Sword.

The game could have definitely been better, that's for sure. There were some nice bonuses... like the new items that were introduced and some of the different concepts they applied. It just wasn't the kind of game that I was expecting, and I suppose that's really the bad thing about all the hype that comes with a game. If anything, I feel like I'll be a lot more impressed with the HD Zelda on Wii U because of its lack of publicity. I'd like it to come out as soon as possible after the Wii U. Games are just better when you don't expect as much out of them as you get.
You are kidding, right? If we were to get a Zelda game at Wii U launch, it wouldn't be long. You know why? It would have glitches, lack of story, bad gameplay, ect. They should never rush a Zelda game. Also, the combat was amazing! So what if it didn't work in some dungeon, you focus too much on it over everything else! It was no where near thirty six hours of bad motion controls for me, ( I played the game seventy two hours.) Actually, it was even ten minutes in game when the controls didn't work, that i, for most people. IF it literally isn't working half the time, recenter it, and calibrate it or something.
ugh, yeah i was disappointed. My biggest problem with the game, besides repetitive quest, bosses, etc, was the overworld. Personally i am a huge fan of TP for many reasons. i dont see why so many people hate it because in some ways it was very similar to OoT. both those games had amazing overworlds. and what was so similar about their overworlds is how they actually seemed like real places (plenty of towns, villages, people, etc) and the dungeons were placed in places that didnt seem too out of the ordinary. instead of SS where its just a bunch of random nothingness. Exploring is whats most important to me in a zelda adventure and i guess thats why i think OoT and TP are similar. MM is still my favorite zelda title but TP is second with OoT third. SS is not even close to the top, i had more fun playing the oracle series than this, hell even pokemon crystal ranks higher than SS and its not even a zelda game! They left a lot of good stuff outta SS. I still love the series and recomend everyone atleast gives SS a try, but for me it was just a letdown.

Are you serious? Did you even complete it? If not, you can't say you have more fun playing anything more than it because you haven't completed it. The reason I am not sure is because you said it was beat by a Pokemon game, no Pokemon game from Game freak company is going to be good enough to beat maybe even a single Mario game! I would like to say for everybody, don't expect what you want out a Zelda game, because it isn't gonna happen probably.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Are you serious? Did you even complete it? If not, you can't say you have more fun playing anything more than it because you haven't completed it. The reason I am not sure is because you said it was beat by a Pokemon game, no Pokemon game from Game freak company is going to be good enough to beat maybe even a single Mario game! I would like to say for everybody, don't expect what you want out a Zelda game, because it isn't gonna happen probably.

And again there you go. What makes you think the poster did NOT complete the game? You seem to have troubles with ANYBODY who dislike SS. You cannot expect people to think the same as YOU So I strongly advice to stop trying to make people love SS as much as you do because that is not going to happen. That is what is called OPINION. If Kody thinks certain games like Pokemon games are better than SS it is still their own opinion whether you like it or not. To assume by saying he did not finish the game is a bit ridiculous here.

I personally think SS was not that great either. It was certainly not a bad game but it was far from perfect to me. I was also a bit disappointed but still had fun playing it though. It had flaws and it didn't give me the feeling I had with TP or even OoT. Between the time I played SS I was playing OoT on my 3DS many times just to get that feeling back.

David

But you called me here...
Honestly, I found the game disappointing, and I've made it no secret to those here that I talk to. Like Kybyrian, I just wanted more, even while I was playing it. There have been a series of Articles on Zelda Informer (oh no, not Zelda Informer) that have highlighted some of the things that have been wrong with the games, that I frankly agree with.

First, where were the enemies that I was expecting? There was such a lack of enemies in the game that would challenge me, or make me actually worry about dying. If there were either more enemies, or more challenging enemies, I would have been more satisfied. The most awesome thing about the game was the 1 to 1 combat, and they hardly made me use it to the point where I had to think. The game got so repetitive for me as I was able to use the same simple strategy on most enemies that I went up against. I rarely got hurt by the enemies in the game, and I wish that I did.

The linearity and handholding was also very unwelcome. I realize that the handholding was for newer players, but I feel like they took it pretty far at points, especially with Fi jumping in rather often. Sure Navi gave some hints at times, but they weren't awfully annoying, and she rarely told me exactly what to do. The linearity was disappointing to me. There wasn't really any way I could choose where I wanted to go nor how I wanted to go about doing the game. There were small parts where I could do different things in different orders, but it wasn't nearly as much as I've expected from games like Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past and the original Zelda (all 3 of which, are my top 3 favorites).

The difficulty was also just meh. I really wish that they had let me choose Hero Mode right from the beginning. That would have been SO much more fun than being required to do normal mode first. I always choose the harder mode in every video game if they give me an option from the start (for example, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of the Abyss, etc.). Skyward Sword's Hero Mode wasn't very compelling to me after I beat the game. I still did it, but after doing normal mode right before, it was a disappointment. I also heard that in an interview, the developers programmed the game much harder than it was before the final version. I wish I could get my hands on those puzzles and enemy AIs.

Also, the music unfortunately didn't live up to what I had hoped they did. The music was, in fact, played by both real and nonreal instruments, which I greatly enjoyed. However, a lot of the songs were just upsetting and boring. The harp songs were decent, yes, but they didn't live up to anything that I've come to know from Zelda songs. The harp also seemed like a huge after thought to me, as it was used in very specific places at a very infrequent pace. The background music did a lot to help make the scenery come alive, but it always felt a little off. The instrumentation was decent at parts, but it wasn't nearly a full orchestra like I thought we were promised.

However, i did enjoy a good portion of the game. The game was pretty fun to play, I just wish that they had given me what I expected they'd give me. There was so much hype for the game before it came out, and I don't feel that it delivered.

A

Ames32

Never set your expectations too high; you'll almost always end up disappointed. There's nothing wrong with being excited for a new [Zelda] game, but take it from me: when you set your sights exceedingly high, disappointment is always sure to follow. :yes:

I'm new here so probably no one knows my favorite game series ever is God of War. I set my expectations High every time and have never been let down. Kratos never changes the gameplay stays the same. it relys on if it ain't broke don't fix it. change is good in small amounts but all at once is dumb (IMHO)

And here is my only problem with SS, The forced motion controlls, If you want a tablet control or motion control fine but don't make it the focus of the game and give me the option of using a standard controller. I've always found Zelda to be an escape and relaxing game, an in this one it felt pushed and shallow because it focused on a gimmick and not the game it's self.

MW7

Honestly, I found the game disappointing, and I've made it no secret to those here that I talk to. Like Kybyrian, I just wanted more, even while I was playing it. There have been a series of Articles on Zelda Informer (oh no, not Zelda Informer) that have highlighted some of the things that have been wrong with the games, that I frankly agree with.

First, where were the enemies that I was expecting? There was such a lack of enemies in the game that would challenge me, or make me actually worry about dying. If there were either more enemies, or more challenging enemies, I would have been more satisfied. The most awesome thing about the game was the 1 to 1 combat, and they hardly made me use it to the point where I had to think. The game got so repetitive for me as I was able to use the same simple strategy on most enemies that I went up against. I rarely got hurt by the enemies in the game, and I wish that I did.

The linearity and handholding was also very unwelcome. I realize that the handholding was for newer players, but I feel like they took it pretty far at points, especially with Fi jumping in rather often. Sure Navi gave some hints at times, but they weren't awfully annoying, and she rarely told me exactly what to do. The linearity was disappointing to me. There wasn't really any way I could choose where I wanted to go nor how I wanted to go about doing the game. There were small parts where I could do different things in different orders, but it wasn't nearly as much as I've expected from games like Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past and the original Zelda (all 3 of which, are my top 3 favorites).

The difficulty was also just meh. I really wish that they had let me choose Hero Mode right from the beginning. That would have been SO much more fun than being required to do normal mode first. I always choose the harder mode in every video game if they give me an option from the start (for example, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of the Abyss, etc.). Skyward Sword's Hero Mode wasn't very compelling to me after I beat the game. I still did it, but after doing normal mode right before, it was a disappointment. I also heard that in an interview, the developers programmed the game much harder than it was before the final version. I wish I could get my hands on those puzzles and enemy AIs.

Also, the music unfortunately didn't live up to what I had hoped they did. The music was, in fact, played by both real and nonreal instruments, which I greatly enjoyed. However, a lot of the songs were just upsetting and boring. The harp songs were decent, yes, but they didn't live up to anything that I've come to know from Zelda songs. The harp also seemed like a huge after thought to me, as it was used in very specific places at a very infrequent pace. The background music did a lot to help make the scenery come alive, but it always felt a little off. The instrumentation was decent at parts, but it wasn't nearly a full orchestra like I thought we were promised.

However, i did enjoy a good portion of the game. The game was pretty fun to play, I just wish that they had given me what I expected they'd give me. There was so much hype for the game before it came out, and I don't feel that it delivered.

You sound exactly like me. Especially concerning the linearity and difficulty. The linearity of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword make me appreciate Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past so much more. It's no coincidence that my top five favorite Zelda games all offer a fair amount of freedom- I can't get enough of it. The enemies of the game were all just waiting to get hit, and the puzzles were super creative but not hard by any means. Skyward Sword was a great game, but it definitely left me wanting more similar to you.

I'm going to disagree with part of this. First off, adding a difficulty level for the game would be a spectacular addition and highly welcomed. The more advanced player could play on a more difficult mode with increased enemey AI or heart damage, and the casual player could just have the enemies dumbed down a bit. I think it's a nice and easy compromise between the hardened veteran and casual players.

However, I still think the difficulty was there in Skyward Sword. The amount of hearts a Bokoblin took was pretty staggering, a whole one heart. That might not seem like a lot, but it definitley was a step-up from the other games. And yea, Bokoblins are pretty much the only thing you fought in the game due to a lack of variety in enemeys, but I went away from the game feeling that Nintendo took a step in the right direction.

David

But you called me here...
I'm going to disagree with part of this. First off, adding a difficulty level for the game would be a spectacular addition and highly welcomed. The more advanced player could play on a more difficult mode with increased enemey AI or heart damage, and the casual player could just have the enemies dumbed down a bit. I think it's a nice and easy compromise between the hardened veteran and casual players.

However, I still think the difficulty was there in Skyward Sword. The amount of hearts a Bokoblin took was pretty staggering, a whole one heart. That might not seem like a lot, but it definitley was a step-up from the other games. And yea, Bokoblins are pretty much the only thing you fought in the game due to a lack of variety in enemeys, but I went away from the game feeling that Nintendo took a step in the right direction.

My comments on difficulty were not exactly aimed toward the amount of damage that enemies gave you when they actually hit you. My difficulty concerns were aimed at how easy it was to defeat the enemies and avoid their attacks.

I'm new here so probably no one knows my favorite game series ever is God of War. I set my expectations High every time and have never been let down. Kratos never changes the gameplay stays the same. it relys on if it ain't broke don't fix it. change is good in small amounts but all at once is dumb (IMHO)

And here is my only problem with SS, The forced motion controlls, If you want a tablet control or motion control fine but don't make it the focus of the game and give me the option of using a standard controller. I've always found Zelda to be an escape and relaxing game, an in this one it felt pushed and shallow because it focused on a gimmick and not the game it's self.

You may not recall hearing this, so I'll refresh your memory. Skyward Sword is arguably the first (not a port) and the last Zelda to come out on the Wii. The reasons as to why there was more focus on motion controls is primarily because it is a Wii game. Moreover, many fans were hoping for a [Zelda] game that utilized the motion controls to their full potential. Many of said fans were disappointed in what Twilight Princess had to offer in terms of controls and quality; TP was considered by most fans to be nothing more but a port from the GameCube with motion controls tacked on [as in gimmicky]. That said, it was important that Nintendo create a game made with the motion controls in mind, as they are not a gimmick, but the Wii's main function. What better way to make a Zelda game that is unique and original to the Wii than give it full motion controls?

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems to me that Nintendo took note of that fact, and the result was Skyward Sword. I think it was a great move on Nintendo's part to show what the Wii can really dish out in terms of its main function: motion controls. And SS aimed to please in that department, garnering overwhelming support from fans, in spite of any other perceivable "faults." I personally don't think it would have been a wise decision to hold back on innovation simply because a few fans - many of which never even played the Wii until SS came out - have a hard time with the Wii's main function. Innovation in motion controls is especially crucial in leaving a mark in gaming history, considering the Wii is at the end of its life, and a new console is on the horizon.

You see, this isn't God of War we're talking about here, this is a series that has been around for 26 years and has 16 great games under its belt. Think about that for a moment (don't get me wrong, GoW's awesome. Just trying to make a point here...). For every complaint you have about SS's "forced" motion controls, there are two fans who really enjoyed them and didn't find them to be "forced" at all. What I was getting was that it is a general rule to not set your expectations incredibly high for any [Zelda] game. It is important understand that it is unrealistic to think that everything isn't going to be like you envisioned it; that everything is going to be perfect. You must realize that there might be "faults." You see, the higher you set your expectations, the steeper your disappointment will be if the game does not live up to your expectations. And those who are not aware of this are usually the ones hit the hardest by disappointment. You, Ames32, seem to be a prime testament to this. :yes:

L

Linebeck III

Skyward Sword is not disappointing at all! I love Skyward Sword! I think it's just you.

D

dotngtrtech

I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed with it. The dungeons are great, the music is decent, and the character development is really good in SS. I made it all the way to sky keep before I had a single calibration issue. The main problem I have with the game are the fetch quests. The finding song notes one was extremely lame, especially that late in the game.

- Dave

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Sorry but I was not at all disappointed in this game. I just wished that it was open-world. Outside of that, I was a very happy fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom