• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should There Be a Central Main Dungeon in SS?

Should there be a central main dungeon in SS?

• Heck yeah!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heck no!

• I don't care

• Total voters
I dislike the idea of having to keep going through the same temple several times. I greatly prefer to enter each temple with the intent to kill, acquire the items and infomation I wish to have and leave. I don't really want to have to enter a section of a temple to accomplish something, I found that a factor for why I dislike Phantom Hourglass so much in comparison to other games from the Zelda series, along with other factors.

Infact, I'm pretty sure that all games have involved a temple that reoccurs several times are all games that aren't to popular with most Zelda fans, although it doesn't help that they are the newer hand held games that are from my experience, seen to be extremely easy to beat and a little tedious with the travelling throughout Hyrule.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Rather than just agreeing with everyone else has already said and giving my reasons, which would be redundant, I offer an alternative:

Consider Relto.
Relto%2BHome.jpg

Nintendo could learn a lot from Myst. Here we have a personal "age" (level) that contains links to the other ages. This is where you go if you want to leave an age, and if you want to go to another age, you just use one of the linking books on the shelf

UruExplorer2009-05-1802-28-51-04.jpg

Link could do the same thing, just with the Skyward Sword instead of linking books. He could use the sword to travel to Sky Loft, where he can choose the location at which he returns to the ground. No time limit, not redundant or repeated puzzles, just home. This also leads to the possibility of personalization. You could alter the appearance of Sky Loft with decorations, rain, trees, etc. Perhaps you may even be able to share your Sky Loft online! Sounds silly, and I probably wouldn't take advantage of that option, but I think it would be something Nintendo might want to do. And I really like Myst.

no. no. no. i have played PH and ST and the main dungeon feature was a bad one. i will state one good reason for fear of clogging the page up. each dungeon (largely) has a gimmick. that gimmick is to be used once and never used again, because while cool, it is not a solid gameplay idea. having indestructible enemies that you need to run from, or enemies to take control of might be the gimmick of a dungeon, but when used over and over, becomes predictable and boring.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
In a word: no.

I'd rather not have a central main dungeon in SS. It would make it feel as if Nintendo was trying to repeat the whole idea of that by copying PH and ST. I mean I liked it in those games,(although it did getting annoying in PH...) but I don't want them bringing it into this game. They need new ideas for dungeons, not one that was recycled from an older game.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I, like many, despised the TotOK due to the time limit, repetition, and stealth related method of completion. ST for the most part fixed all that, but the Tower of Spirits had its own problems that I hated, namely the incredible brevity of the earlier segments and the fact that I just plain hate stealth missions. The TotOK was plain annoying, and the Tower of Spirits just felt like a compilation of plot related mini-dungeons, albeit it was still enjoyable. Neither was particularly outstanding or lovable, but the general concept of a central dungeon still has potential in my opinion.

Since SS is supposed to change the dungeon-field-dungeon format, I feel this opens up a whole new level of dungeon possibilities, and I wouldn't be surprised to get some outrageous dungeons out of this. Thinking about it, I realized that a central dungeon doesn't necessarily have to be the same kind of dungeon we're all used to. It doesn't necessarily have to have bosses or gimmicks or special items. What makes a dungeon? I think a dungeon is simply a closed area with a particular theme with challenges to be overcome and a goal to be reached, and challenges include navigation, puzzles, and enemies. It doesn't need a boss nor any special gimmicks, just challenges and a goal.

Now, imagine if for example, the Sky Loft is a sort of hub world from where different parts of Hyrule, disconnected at ground level, can be traveled to. Imagine that in order to access those separate parts of Hyrule, puzzles in a minidungeon type trial in Sky Loft had to be completed. Sky Loft could then be considered a central dungeon as well as a hub world, but each trial could be drastically different from each of the others, to keep us on our toes, and the entire thing functions not only to push forward the game, but also to push forward the plot. This is probably a different definition of a central dungeon than what most might immediately think of, but hey, I personally think such a system might work.

Last edited:
yes that is true, if there were a hub like "main dungeon" that would be great. but that seems unlikely to me.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Now, imagine if for example, the Sky Loft is a sort of hub world from where different parts of Hyrule, disconnected at ground level, can be traveled to. Imagine that in order to access those separate parts of Hyrule, puzzles in a minidungeon type trial in Sky Loft had to be completed. Sky Loft could then be considered a central dungeon as well as a hub world, but each trial could be drastically different from each of the others, to keep us on our toes, and the entire thing functions not only to push forward the game, but also to push forward the plot. This is probably a different definition of a central dungeon than what most might immediately think of, but hey, I personally think such a system might work.
Brilliant. Not just a hub of locations, but a hub of challenges as well.
The Bomber's Notebook comes to mind. Perhaps instead of solving puzzles to get to a new location, one must help out the locals? That would be fun.

The thing that worries me is that Aonuma or one of those guys said of the team who worked on ST was working on SS. That, combined with them saying you will travel back and forth from Skyloft to Hyrule various times in the game, make me believe that a central dungeon similar to the one we saw in PH/ST is very likely. I hope that I am incorrect. The central dungeon idea only works if its not the same tedious crap over and over.

This would be a good idea.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
this isen't a ds game, I don't think they need to do that at all. They have plenty of time and creativity to give us all different dungeons and I find those main dungeon ideas to be repeatitive and boring. Also I think they made those main dungeons to conserve game space (due to the massive empty overworlds that took up half the space on each game: PH and ST) which isen't a problem or limitation with a Wii title. I remember hearing that they are now working on more dungeons and polishing up the game.. among other things.. but I'm convinved that we are going to get more dungeons than we usually do. It seems like they have put alot of work into this title and so I really believe we will be getting a huge adventure this time :)

I didnt mind too much about the main dungeons, though it was repetetive. If they do make a main dungeon, it should have special events in it as well as puzzles. For example, instead of going through a downright plain dungeon, have things like boss battles or main plot events. PH just had "dungeon you solve and Bellum is at the end" while ST had a boss battle with Byrne, a place where you could go to all four realms depending on the direction your facing, and Malladus's resurrection taking place at the top. Not to mention that the entire tower was floating around in seperate pieces and you had to defeat a temple to make a piece connect to the rest of the tower. What I hated about it was the Torch Phantom concept, where you have to posess a Torch Phantom to light up the area, or else you get chomped by Nocturns.:xd:That was in a LOT of the temple. Anyways, I wouldnt like a main dungeon in SS.

Or Xinnamin's idea could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom