• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Super Mario 64 Be Remade?

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I've been pondering this question for a long time. Super Mario 64 is easily one of my favorite games of all time, tying with Ocarina of Time for the #1 notch for the N64, which is one of my favorite systems of all time, so this game holds a special place in my heart. I've read a lot of articles recently about OoT3D, both pro and anti remake. Personally, I really enjoyed it, and thought they did a great job, even with a couple problems, but overall I'd say it was a worthy cause. However, it makes me wonder, will they ever remake this gem of a game? or should they? should they merely keep the game the way it is, not mess with perfection, or should they try to remake it, risking the potential of botching the visual style and controls and alienating thousands of devoted fans? It's a difficult question, dear readers, but I have finally formulated an opinion: I believe they should. I have a number of reasons for my opinion. For one, it was a truly amazing game that all too many young gamers have not experienced, which is a tragedy in itself. however, if they do remake it, it should NOT be on the 3DS. The 3DS is a marvelous little system that I think is truly ingenious, and OoT fit it like a glove. This was because it had a simple but very effective camera that worked with the single stick layout of the N64, using a system I like to call the "dogwalking" system of camera control. Basically, the camera in OoT is a point that Link can walk forward and Backward from, but cannot escape its "leash" on the X-axis. In other words, when you are pushing the analog stick sideways, Link walks in circles around the camera. This is a very well designed system for action adventure games, and added with Z-targeting/manual recentering of the camera, works nearly flawlessly for single analog stick systems, like the N64. However, Mario 64, as much of a COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY AWESOME game as it is, is a platformer. So Mario has to be able to move on the X axis in the game world easily, or he is the victim of many frustrating deaths. So Mario 64 has a flawed camera system. however, during the Gamecube era, something brand new was introduced to the Nintendo gaming world: a second analog stick. Now, everyone has mixed reactions towards Mario Sunshine. I personally love it for it's tropical, sunny atmosphere and it's Mario 64-like gameplay (more exploration and free reign than Galaxy), but one thing we can all agree on: it had a great camera. even when the game gives you a bad angle, the camera is easily controlled via a "bubble" system, where the camera is a floating object that orbits around mario and is controlled via the second analog stick. Mario 64 had a flawed version of this system that was so flawed by only having the four directional C buttons as a controlling mechanism, and the rotation of the camera was limited as well. Fun fact: the camera in Mario 64 was actually a character, a floating Lakitu holding a videocamera that was only visible in mirrored areas. Anyways, Mario 64 could easily be remade on the Wii U as opposed to the 3DS, using a system like Mario Sunshine for camera control instead, using the second analog nub on the Wii U tablet. also, the Wii U could provide great graphical power to the game, making one of Mario's greatest outings look better than ever. Also, the developers could remake all of the great old tunes using an orchestra and get great sound quality over the console that could not be found in the 3DS. The screen on the Tablet could hold a mini map. There are many, many options. What do you guys think? Do you like my idea? or would you rather that Mario 64 remain in it's purest form? Do you have a good argument for seeing it on the 3DS instead? Or do you perhaps have another interesting idea for how the Wii U could be utilized? Post up, I'm excited for your feedback!

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
It already has been remade, for the DS, awhile ago.

Exactly. Although I didn't really like it; I reaaaaally disliked the addition of Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario. It's Super MARIO 64, not Super Dinosaur, Older Brother, Younger Brother, and Fatso 64. *Shudder*. Wario WADDLES! I cannot tell you how much that BUGGED ME, MAN!!! :D Anyway, no. No more freaking remakes! Seriously! I support Operation Moonfall just because MM ROCKS and I REALLY want it for 3DS and it'll be easy to port/remake because the engines and everything have been made for OoT3D (exactly like how it was all those years ago...) but after MM, NO MORE REMAKES.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't care for Super Mario 64 remake unless they remake SM64, not SM64DS. Like LolGames4U, I hated the addition of Luigi, Yoshi and Wario because it kinda butchered the experience one would have with the original Super 64. Better graphics are welcome, but I want the core gameplay to revolve around Mario, not anyone else.

Also, If SM643DS ever does get made, I ould like for it to happen in the distant future so as not to saturate the 3DS game library with remakes no matter how awesome they may be.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Honestly, I've heard far more from the "omfg no more remakes" side than I've heard actual call for remakes. Regardless, however, the whole argument has gotten really, really wearisome.

Super Mario 64 has a perfectly good remake currently available for a current system - it was packaged with a lot of new content as well and doesn't need further additions. Since the 3DS can play DS games just fine, no need for even a port. Perhaps a reprinting of the DS game would be a good idea, but no remake/port/rerelease necessary.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I understand that there is a Mario 64 remake for the DS, but I did not consider that the remake I was looking for. I don't want any new content, I just want the regular levels to be remade. Plus, that game featured too many weird gimmicks in the form of having to use other characters to have access to all of the powerups, and it didn't have that much of a visual upgrade. And even though it's visuals were not that much better, it just didn't feel like the same game to me. also, the controls were awkward, to say the least. I fell like they could give remaking a second chance on the Wii U, with better visuals, controls, and music. For example, just look at the Whomp's Fortress remake stage in Galaxy 2: it had good visuals, a GREAT orchestrated reimagining of the classic tune, and the controls were much better than Mario 64 DS. And all of the above could be improved even more for the Wii U.

I understand that there is a Mario 64 remake for the DS, but I did not consider that the remake I was looking for. I don't want any new content, I just want the regular levels to be remade. Plus, that game featured too many weird gimmicks in the form of having to use other characters to have access to all of the powerups, and it didn't have that much of a visual upgrade. And even though it's visuals were not that much better, it just didn't feel like the same game to me. also, the controls were awkward, to say the least. I fell like they could give remaking a second chance on the Wii U, with better visuals, controls, and music. For example, just look at the Whomp's Fortress remake stage in Galaxy 2: it had good visuals, a GREAT orchestrated reimagining of the classic tune, and the controls were much better than Mario 64 DS. And all of the above could be improved even more for the Wii U.
I agree with you, I did not like SM64DS at all. I loved the original so much more.
But a remake on the Wii U seems unlikely. They already made one remake, they probobly won't make another.
I don't think they need to. The game's graphics didn't age THAT badly, IMO.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I agree with you, I did not like SM64DS at all. I loved the original so much more.
But a remake on the Wii U seems unlikely. They already made one remake, they probobly won't make another.
I don't think they need to. The game's graphics didn't age THAT badly, IMO.

Oh, I'm not saying that it's likely. I'm just saying I wouldn't mind seeing it at all.It's a great game, and too many of it's mechanics are being lost in the shuffle with all of the new mario games coming out. For example, a lot of the new mario games are becoming a lot more linear and have lost the focus of exploration. I don't neccesarily think that's a bad thing, it harks back to the early days of the mario series, but I really enjoyed the open, explorative world of Mario 64, full of secrets to discover. I miss that a lot. I don't want Mario Sunshine to be the end of it.

I really can't disagree with you more. Why do you think that it wasn't a good game?

I never said it wasn't good, I had a fun time with it, but it's just not the game people make it out to be. (Like so many other N64 and SNES games.)

Most things work, but it's just not..... what's the word I'm looking for..... err, as fun as people say? I mean really, a good amount of the missions were mediocre and I almost never knew where the star was because of the vague clues they gave you. Sure, some people LOVE to argue that Mario 64 had "exploration" that allowed you to figure out where the Star is yourself, but I believe Sunshine did it perfectly where it actually gave you a visual clue as to where the Star/Shine is in the level rather than tediously exploring through the level and hoping you find the right area. Mario 64 levels just didn't feel as fun as some people made them out to be. Again, I know the legacy the game left, but it's just a very dated game.

Oh, and to whomever gave me that reputation as trolling, thank you, I needed a laugh today.

Opinions ≠ Trolling

Last edited:

KnowItAllBird

Hero of Time
Personally, I enjoyed the game on both the 64 and the ds. And I actually do think a remake of the ORIGINAL version would be a great idea. However, unlike you, I would like to see it on the 3ds. I never had camera problems when I played the games (though admittedly, that is probably because I've played it as long as I can remember and I would likely have assumed the camera was normal and not thought anything of it). I totally understand your points, but I think the controls would feel great, and, come on, who wouldnt want to play SM64 in 3d???

Did someone forget to install the Enter key for you? :P

Yeah it was released on DS not that long ago, so I don't think there is much point. The remake is very good though.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I really don't see a point in remaking it for the 3DS. I liked Super Mario 64 DS, and I also feel that the Virtual Console version of Super Mario 64 is adequate. If there hadn't been a Super Mario 64 DS, I would be in favor of it, but I think they did everything they could do with Super Mario 64 already. Half the charm of it is how primitive it is graphically, unlike OoT. The original DS was good enough for it. Making the graphics like Super Mario Sunshine on the 3DS would ruin it.

Besides, chances are that it wouldn't sell well, and the market is already fairly saturated with 3DS remakes of N64 games that have NEVER been remade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom