• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Romance in Zelda?

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I never really thought there was any romance, or hints thereof in the majority of the games. The only ones I can think of are the unhealthy infatuation of Ruto in OoT and the forward "high-school" advances of Hena in TP. I really don't think there's time for romance in the series, and it is definitely not a focus of it. Maybe this is just something I've picked up because I'm old I suppose, but you can have girl friends (that is, girls who are your friends) without them being your "girlfriend".

Many say the AoL kiss (which we actually don't see) is a the romantic beginnings of a Link / Zelda couple, but really a kiss doesn't have to mean anything. Someone can be rewarded with a kiss without it having to lead anywhere romantic. It's an act of kindness, and a stereotypical one of a princess and a knight in many a tale.

As for Midna, I really didn't see anything romantic there either. Maybe that was the intent, but I thought she was just being sly and scheming with Link to get her way. Yes, she turned into a beautiful humanoid at the end. Yes, Link appeared to be sad she was gone, but the two can form a bond of friendship after the ordeal they went through together without it having to be romantic. Link can be sad that the person he went through so much with decided cut of ties to his world forever without them being in love.

So, really, there's not much romance there. I think people are looking for things that really aren't there because the concept interests them, but there's really not much present to follow up on.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I never really thought there was any romance, or hints thereof in the majority of the games. The only ones I can think of are the unhealthy infatuation of Ruto in OoT and the forward "high-school" advances of Hena in TP. I really don't think there's time for romance in the series, and it is definitely not a focus of it. Maybe this is just something I've picked up because I'm old I suppose, but you can have girl friends (that is, girls who are your friends) without them being your "girlfriend".

:nod:This is true. In fact I have some girlfriends whom I'm not romantically interesting in myself.

Many say the AoL kiss (which we actually don't see) is a the romantic beginnings of a Link / Zelda couple, but really a kiss doesn't have to mean anything. Someone can be rewarded with a kiss without it having to lead anywhere romantic. It's an act of kindness, and a stereotypical one of a princess and a knight in many a tale.

:nod: This is true. In fact in the Paper Mario and it's sequel Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Mario gets kissed after doing things for girls. Like for instance Mario gets kissed by Goombella after he saves her from the X-Nauts and also gets kissed (involuntarily might I add) by Flurrie after retrieving her necklace for her. In addition Mario is also kissed by Goombario's little sister after finding her doll for her.

As for Midna, I really didn't see anything romantic there either. Maybe that was the intent, but I thought she was just being sly and scheming with Link to get her way. Yes, she turned into a beautiful humanoid at the end. Yes, Link appeared to be sad she was gone, but the two can form a bond of friendship after the ordeal they went through together without it having to be romantic. Link can be sad that the person he went through so much with decided cut of ties to his world forever without them being in love.

I too never thought Link and Midna to be romantically linked ever. Like you said when the curse on Midna was undone she did turn into a beautiful humanoid at the end and Link was sad to see her leave in addition to the fact that one two people can become very close after experiencing ordeals such as the ones Midna and Link go through without forming feelings for each other.

So, really, there's not much romance there. I think people are looking for things that really aren't there because the concept interests them, but there's really not much present to follow up on.

Yeah only like three games actually have even the slightest bit of romance.

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
The only real couple relationships I could really see was AoL bearly, and TP. We see that Link cares alot about Ilia going out of his way to return her memory(even though it was needed) and we see that Link seems heart hurt about her not remembering him.

Haxon15

FML
Link and Zelda held hands in Spirit tracks and Link blushed at Zelda twice in the game...

The closest thing to a relationship was probably in TP, with Ilia. But the closest throughout the series is with Zelda(Tetra kinda). I do think they should get together though, and who knows, they might one day.

L

LunarWolf

...odd topic. i say no. zelda is royalty. he don't stand a chance. he could be a knight in her royal guard though.

G

GMO

The topic does intrigue me. I think there was always romance in Zelda but it always changed with each incarnation. For example, The Legend of Zelda cartoon Sprite was in love with Link, but Link was always after Zelda (Mainly for a Kiss), and there was an episode dedicated to Sprite to get Link romantically. Zelda was always a tight-*** but always got jealous when Link saved a "HOT" village girl and treated him like the jealous girlfriend type. And Link also should the jealous boyfriend type when Kevin (Kevin Keen - Captain N/Zelda Cross Over) was out doing him during the fight scenes.

Din Akera

Sniper
I think another thing about Link and Ruto is the fact that the inter-species-ness might not go so well in the having a relationship. But that is my opinion. I think most of the 'romance' is fan-fic and once the idea is there, and you play the story line again, any little thing you want to see, you can pick and blow up and out of proportion. Not to mention all the fan stuff about Sheik and Link or Dark Link and Link.... (not going there)
I know some of you might get mad at me saying this, but I've never really thought of Zelda as having a large role in any of the games I've played and so I don't really like her. I feel like (as Link) I just have to go keep saving her butt all the time.
But if I would like to see a romance come out of any of the characters in the games, it would be Midna and Link, for sure.

Ikana

Trollkastel
Spirit Tracks had a few scenes one where zelda and link hold hand and he blushes.Link and ruto in oot.She falls in love with link and wants to marry him.

vatti

The Acorn sized Magician
I think that the most romance in the legend of zelda ( all games mixed together) is between zelda and link. It's not like one of those romances that are a crush "I like you cause you're cute." This is one of those romances where it is completly passionate, where they are quiet and secure about there love. They always give hints about how they feel about each other, like Kazumi says in the first post. And also, about the girls nipping at his heels thing, I do think that the girls are in love with him, but they know he loves Zelda, and they respect link and zeldas space. like Ilia says (I think it's somthing like this) "You can go and save hyrule link, I'll be here waiting for you." she does'nt necisarilly say that she knows that he will come back, but that she will be waiting for him. She isn't at his heels, but she is respectively stepping back and like (forgive me, people who hate twilight the book) edward, she waits for him, and if he tells her to leave, she probably will.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Personally I don't think they should spend much time about romances. I really don't care much about it either. The bond between most of the female characters and Link is more based on deep friendship. In TP it was obvious Ilia liked Link more than a friend but there is no indication these two were involved in a relationship. I personally think if there should be any kind of romance in Zelda between Link and a character it should be Zelda herself. They are both part of the triforce and their are bounded together forever. Unfortunately the same for Ganondorf.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I am just a romance fanatic, in video games especially. I know that Shigeru Miyamoto does not want a relationship because that can just throw the whole point of the game and series off, but deep down if you really like romance and using your imagination, then you can just easily picture possible romances. For example, I always have thought that since The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess was released, Midna definitely had a thing for Link. That was more than obvious in the the end when she was about to say I love you, but instead said her catch phrase, "See you later". Nintendo and Miyamoto don't want romances, but I think that they should have some kind of relationship in the next game. I mean look at the end of Spirit Tracks! (Sorry for spoilers) Zelda and Link hold hands! Nintendo is getting closer and closer to a relationship.

S

Serenia

Personally,I don't really care about romance in games.But I would go for these.

All games with Zelda,yes then,Link x Zelda and only Zelda!
LA Link x Marin
MM Link x Romani (Nobody said that, did you?)
TP for Wii Link x Ilia
Tp for GC Link x Zelda

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Miyamoto:"Ocarina was fun, and it also was zelda-like... the story's a little romantic. Though which is not very zelda-like" -laughs-
(SOURCE)

OoT helped revolutionize the series, I think. A Link to the Past pretty much set the formula in stone (up until now, for Zelda Wii, I guess), but OoT began a lot of the deeper things like friendship, brotherhood, and even romance. By adding elements that don't seem to be very Zelda-like, the series grows. I don't think romance will ever be a key focus in Zelda like it is in Final Fantasy, but it's starting to take up a little more importance as characters develop.

So yeah, there are bits of romance. I can see why many don't see it- it's not that defined. If it was, Zelda would be thrown off balance. But nowadays.. yeah, it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom