• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Romance in Zelda?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Wow, old thread. I looked back on the second page to see what I wrote months ago, and yeah, I still stand by all that.

I just thought to add a recent thought of mine on a popular fandom ship... it's not that I'm disparaging anyone who likes it or telling people they don't have the right to like it fanart/fanfic it and such... it's just something that I find inexplicable that I just *don't get.*

Link x Dark Link. I just don't get it. It's not even a yaoi/slash m/m thing with me, either (for those quick to jump to the "homophobe!" conclusion). It's not that... it's that Dark Link has even less character develoment than Link does, as in, DL has *none.* Everything about him for fans of him basically has to be constructed - and even that is something that I find a little odd to a degree. To me, he'll always just be a spell, a shadow, a Jungian shadow archetype adversary, not really a "character" or a "person." (Other than "Shadow" in the Four Swords manga), I don't think Dark Link was ever meant to be anything more than a "shadow" - a metaphor for the Hero's dark side and something fun/difficult to fight in the game. This makes it very difficult for me to see Dark Link as a true character.

In other words, Link x Dark Link makes about as much sense to me as Link x Coffee Table. (Of course, now I'm wanting to see some fan art of Link making out with a coffee table)!

If any fans of this paring can explain what the appeal is for them, I'd be grateful for the insight. It's just a personal head-scratcher for me.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
On the topic of Link x Dark Link, I'm sure the reason most people ship it is because of their yaoi obsession. At least, that's what I've noticed. Link x Dark Link is obviously not actually there in the series, but the pairing does have a deeper meaning for those who look closer:

Dark Link isn't an actual baddie in OoT, but a representation of Link's darker side- his evils that make him human. The battle with him is symbolic of Link cleansing himself of normal human impurities (greed, lust, etc. etc.) and emerging (rebirth in the Hero's Journey) as a new person- the pure hero. The pairing of Link x Dark Link is more of a one-sided love-- embracing one's self wholly, despite imperfections. It's embracing the good and the bad and shows acceptance of one's self. But that's just OoT- in other games, he's an actual enemy, but in another (can't recall) he takes OoT's same idea. It's just that the obsession with the pairing started with OoT.

So, while the Dark Link x Link pairing is mostly just a fangirl-based obsession that actually does not happen at all in the series, it does have a deeper meaning when in art form.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I figured it was something like that - people being drawn to the idea of the "light half" and the "dark half" together, (oft with the "dark half" corrupting or seducing the "light half"). I remember reading one fic, or part of one fic that was in Dark's POV talking about how he had been made of all the sinful stuff of the Hero, and "most definitely lust." I just think that fans of this paring must be very creative in working it out when one of the characters doesn't have a canonical personality of any kind.

This idea could be turned on its head though, though probably better in gen fic. You see, in that other thing I've liked for a while, Trigun... for the longest time, the action figure line had a "Dark Vash." I had a Dark Vash doll around for a while until he broke. I have a Vash and Dark Vash figureine set that I sometimes like to pose with guns to each other on a desk. Dark Vash is very similar to the TP Dark Link - silver hair, red eyes, black clothes. I think he was supposed to be "evil counterpart" in the action figure series (which makes little since because the canon series has Knives, who is Vash's literal evil twin brother). In the Trigun Maximum manga, "Dark Vash" was actually made canon - however, he wasn't evil - he was in fact... Vash. There was this whole sequence where Vash was at the limits of his power and drew power from his coat, turning it black (hard to explain) and also had black hair at the time due to a power limiter/decay thing (also hard to explain)... So basically, in that series, the "Dark" version of the good character was still actually the character, who was the same guy and still good - just suffering some weird things pretaining to his species.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm not really a romance fan.

Don't get me wrong. There are some other series where I imagine a romance appearing between the characters.

The thing about Link is... a big part of his appeal to me is that he's a loner who does whatever he thinks is right, not someone who wants to get attached to anyone or "let himself go." He's a dutiful person who works to make sure things are set right, not out of love or loyalty towards his family or friends, but out of his own convictions regarding right and wrong.

I suppose that's why I hated the story of Twilight Princess (though I suppose I liked the gameplay as much as any Zelda game, the story is a big part of the game to me). To me, the game made Link seem like less of a loner and more like someone who had plans to marry Ilia or something. It also seemed like his motivations involved protecting his friends and family this time around, which I didn't care for. It makes him seem too "down to earth."

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
(*takes a deep breath*)

LinkXZelda: Ocarina of Time- Link shows some signs in the game that he liked Zelda, but Zelda is to busy running around as Sheik to notice, so they don't end up together and partly because Zelda is a Sage, but in the manga. It's really clear that Link liked Zelda a lot, but Zelda, well, I think she was just like the game and doesn't understand Link liked her, so they don't end up together.

LinkXSaria: Ocarina of Time- Best Friends, Saria kind of liked Link, but she's a sage.

LinkXRuto: Oarina of Time- Okay, Ruto was in love with Link, but Link didn't "take the hint" about the engagement. Well, Ruto, 7 years later, finds she never actually "love" Link, so they break up the engagement.

LinkXMidna: Twilight Princess- Link likes Midna AS a friend. Midna likes Link a bit more that friends, but Midna lets it go and leaves.

LinkXZelda: Twilight Princess- Zelda and Link eventually end up together, but in the game, they are just friends. (theorizing here...)

LinkXIllia: Twilight Princess- It's possible that they ended up together. (just putting it out there) Link liked Illia. Illia loved Epona, so she likes Link. Link cared for Illia, so it's possible.

LinkXTerta/Zelda: Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass- Tetra liked Link. Link liked Tetra. They both ended up together. (take the hints from Spirit Tracks on Zelda's personality, it's like Link's and Tetra's)

LinkXZelda: Spirit Tracks- Become best friends in the game, lovers later. Take the hints on the exaggerated high five scene.

LinkXZelda: Minish Cap- Best Friends, but maybe ended up with each other. Who knows? :P

So that is my thoughts on LoZ romance. btw, I only did the games I played so far.

OotLord1003

Young Link
Link and Shiek all the way!!! NOT IN THE GAY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I think shiek is a girl. I'm a guy

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
I always liked that TP Link ended up on a ranch all of 100 years after OoT so under the assumption that OoT Link was not a player that would make most harem anime guys respect him I like to think he got with Malon, considering he had to choose between bestiality(Ruto), pedophilia(Saria), an older woman(Nabooru..or Impa for that matter), the farm girl(Malon) or the princess(Zelda) and princesses tend to have to marry other royalty/nobles. For TP I'd be happy with either female lead that isn't Ilia, they tried to combine Saria and Malon to get that whiny ungrateful thing.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I never understood how people took it that Link married Malon based on TP!Link living in a village outside of Hyrule that just happens to have a ranch. He's the only Hylian there. Malon was Hylian. OoT!Link was Hylian.

I... just don't get it. I'm all for the Link/Malon shipping-- it's cute as all heck, but I don't think TP!Link, a guy 100 years later who has no relationship to OoT!Link and lives outside of Hyrule, would mean ANYTHING about OoT!Link's choice of romantic partners. o_o I reaaally think that's just stretching it.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
its pretty obvious that Ilia likes Link, have you seen the cutscene after you restore her memories, him, her and epona at the spring, the mushy music, not saying that Link likes her back but its obvious she likes him, and i also think that Midna likes him and im about 75% sure he falls for her when shes returned to her real form, remember the bits where she places her hand on his cheek, and the bit where Link is cradling her in his arms after she destroys the barrier over Hyrule castle? (im not going to mention the fangirls outside the STAR Game). in Spirit Tracks, the game was pretty much designed for ZeLinkers, they even hold hands at the end. In OoT i think Saria is just a friend, Ruto is stalker-like, Nabooru is obviously atttracted to adult link (if i had known you would grow up to be such a handsome young man, i would have kept my promise - Nabooru) But none of those would work as they are sages. OoT Zelda.... Meh, i dont know because you hardly see anything of Zelda, Malon likes Link, especially after he restores the ranch to normal. Theres no-one in particular in MM except Romani who pretty much filly the roll of child Malon, she almost certainly has a crush on Link. Tetra is just friends with Link. I obviously cant say how link feels about any of these, as Link is a blank stone, you choose who he likes/dislikes.

Master

Upcoming
it would make my life , to see a game where it actually shows link and some other girl kissing !

J

jora

nintendo prefers you have your pic but as a girl the lack of male frends for link is just lacking Drastically and i dont want it for other females artist such as "YAOI" but just cause its realistic for a guy to have guy frends more than girls i mean i dude with alot of girl friends is eather a HUGE player or...you know what

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom