• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Romance in Zelda?

Kazumi

chagy
Ok, sit tight, this my take a "wee little" bit.

A lot of people say, that all of the girls in Hyrule are "nipping at his heels".
I strongley disagree, to a point. Really, romance between Link and another girl is really lacking. (If thats what you into) But, by far the most romance is between Link and Zelda. Now, I'm going to present you with my case:
(This will mostly look at OoT)

Link and Zelda are the ones who display the most romance, but still, not quite enough. A couple examples (Major ones) include the following:

When Link recieves the Ocarina of Time in MM, Zelda says this in the flashback: "Even though it was a short time, i feel like i've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent together in Hyrule...and I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again..." (Reference: MM itself and http://www.northcastle.co.uk/archive/romance/zlm_evidence.html) As you can see, this implies that before Link departed to Termina, he spent some time with Zelda and she "knows in her heart" that they will meet again. This also implies Zelda has developed some feelings for Link. Another is: After the Water Temple, Ruto says she can't give you her "undying love" because she is a sage. She also implies that you like Zelda, saying, "You're looking for Princess Zelda. Ha! I knew it! You can't hide anything from me." You may call this one ify, but its really quite obvious Link is woried about her because he "askes" all of the sages about her. Yet another is: "I appriciate you coming to rescue me. As I thought, you are the legendary hero. I have felt this from the first time we met..." When Zelda is trapped in a crystal in Alttp. This also sorda leads into my next part:

Marin. A lot of people say Marin is Malon, and Tarin is Malon. But, LA was made before OoT. Therefore Malon and Talon are "ripoffs" of Marin and Tarin. At least, thats how I feel it is when Nintendo almost completely copies a charater. (MM anyone?) Anywho, Marin is supposed to be Zelda, in Links dream. This is because Marin strongely resembles Zelda (Besides the red hair)and, how would Nintendo base this on Malon, if she is from the next game? Also, when Link wakes up on the beach, he thinks he hears Zelda. When he opens his eyes, he he sees Zelda, but, its actually Marin. (Reference: http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1719&fullsize=1) Marin, like Zelda almost "declares her love" for Link in LA. But, I don't happen to have the exact text on me at the moment. One more: An interview with Mr. Miyamoto, conducted by Famimaga 64: Interviewer: Does Link have a girlfriend?
Miyamoto: If it was Princess Zelda, it would be great. However, this time Navi [the fairy] is jealous of Zelda. So within the story, Navi feels something for Link. (Reference: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Relationship_of_Link_and_Zelda, also: http://ign64.ign.com/articles/061/061546p1.html) This flat out implies that Miyamoto likes "ZeLink". But, as you can see, there is no sign of Navi being jealous of Zelda, or "feeling something for Link". (Loop hole avoided, loose end, tied!)

There are also many more "ZeLink moments" in the games. This doesn't even include the manga! (I suppose that will be my next "report"....) Here is the Url: http://www.northcastle.co.uk/archive/romance/zlm_evidence.html

Part 3 of impending doom:

Many people think Malon is attracted to Link, but, there is no reference of this. The only thing that even semi implies anything at all in any shape or form, is a joke: Talon, askes if you would like to marry Malon after you win his Cucco game. You can answer "yes" or "no". No matter what you answer, even "yes", Talon will say he's just joking. He says you may marry Malon maybe, when your older. (Reference: OoT) As you can see, the evidence of a Link Zelda relationship is stronger, much stronger. I highly doubt that Malon was intended to have a relationship with Link.

Prepare for part 4:

Ruto, also is obviously attracted to Link. I mean, she tricks him into becoming engaged to her! Link, was a child and didn't know what it ment. Going back to section 1 even: Ruto cannot declare her "undying love" for Link, mostly because she is a sage, and also because she knows he like Zelda. So, Link is no longer engaged to her.

I planned to do some stuff on Saria and Nabooru, but I don't have the resources wit hme at the moment, and this post is already to long. But, some people will say that because Zelda is a sage, she cannot be with Link. I strongely disagree. I think that this only implies to the sages that have to go into the sacred realm. Because, how would Link have a relationship with someone who is in the Sacred Realm!? Zelda, does not go to the Sacred Realm with the other sages. (Thats pretty obvious to see people!)

Ok, I know..... I do not support any "couple" in the Zelda series. But I perfer "ZeLink". (Stupid name....) I really hope that there is never a confermded relationship in the Zelda series, 'cause that would end all of the romance fanfare in Zelda! (Now why would Nintendo go about doing that?)

Know, I'd like to know what you think about romance in the Zelda series. Is there a "couple" you like? What about conferming a "couple"? Just tell me what you think about "ZeLink", "MaLink" and any other OoT "pairing" under the white hot sun. Also, add to this "report" if you want. JUST TELL ME!!!:dry:

References: The actuall games!
http://www.northcastle.co.uk/archive/romance/zlm_evidence.html
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Main_Page

Ok, sit tight, this my take a "wee little" bit.
When Link recieves the Ocarina of Time in MM, Zelda says this in the flashback: "Even though it was a short time, i feel like i've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent together in Hyrule...and I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again..." (Reference: MM itself and http://www.northcastle.co.uk/archive/romance/zlm_evidence.html) As you can see, this implies that before Link departed to Termina, he spent some time with Zelda and she "knows in her heart" that they will meet again. This also implies Zelda has developed some feelings for Link. Another is: After the Water Temple, Ruto says she can't give you her "undying love" because she is a sage. She also implies that you like Zelda, saying, "You're looking for Princess Zelda. Ha! I knew it! You can't hide anything from me." You may call this one ify, but its really quite obvious Link is woried about her because he "askes" all of the sages about her. Yet another is: "I appriciate you coming to rescue me. As I thought, you are the legendary hero. I have felt this from the first time we met..." When Zelda is trapped in a crystal in Alttp. This also sorda leads into my next part:

I know you're looking mostly at OoT, but can I ask how you make a huge paragraph like this and not look at Zelda and Link making out at the end of Adventure of Link? =D

One more: An interview with Mr. Miyamoto, conducted by Famimaga 64: Interviewer: Does Link have a girlfriend?
Miyamoto: If it was Princess Zelda, it would be great. However, this time Navi [the fairy] is jealous of Zelda. So within the story, Navi feels something for Link. (Reference: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Relationship_of_Link_and_Zelda, also: http://ign64.ign.com/articles/061/061546p1.html) This flat out implies that Miyamoto likes "ZeLink". But, as you can see, there is no sign of Navi being jealous of Zelda, or "feeling something for Link". (Loop hole avoided, loose end, tied!)

My only problem with this is just because Navi doesn't show anything for link (which I add would be completly disturbing if she did), doesn't mean it isn't true. If "Mr. Miyamoto" said it, then obviously she felt something for him.

And that's all I got. Except I do like ZeLink.

Kazumi

chagy
Well, did you notice anywhere in OoT ever that Navi showed any type of attraction at all!? I mean, she ditched him at the end! Also, I can't include everything! But, yes, at the end of AoL, Link and Zelda apparenly kisses, HAPPY!?!?!?!? :lol:

Well, did you notice anywhere in OoT ever that Navi showed any type of attraction at all!? I mean, she ditched him at the end! Also, I can't include everything! But, yes, at the end of AoL, Link and Zelda apparenly kisses, HAPPY!?!?!?!? :lol:

Navi only ditched Link because her job was done. It's like being a sage. You have do your job, which means either saving link or leaving him. When that's done bye bye. When they're all dead you can go have fun in heaven or hell or whatever.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
i would just like to say that just because ruto thinks link has feelings for zelda doesnt make it true. zelda is a MISSING PRINCESS. obviously the hero is looking for the princess. EVERYONE should be looking for the princess, not just link so the fact that hes looking for her doesnt mean he likes her. its basically his duty.

Kazumi

chagy
Ok Jeez....... I'm just saying. Also, did you see anyone else looking for Zelda? I mean, I know Ganondorf is in control, but they all know he is evil.

EponaOwns

The Real Master of Epona
Well, I'm pretty sure you are right about the Malon part. People like making videos of Zelda couples. Nabooru was one of them and it didn't seem like it. Saria and Link are just friends but maybe Saria has a "thing" for Link. Ruto big time. Zelda never really seemed THAT attracted to him. Neither does Link. Ilia probably like Link. Midna does have a thing for Link and Link's mouth when Midna turns into her twilight form Link seems very attracted. Midna and Link!

Even I get shocked by his looks^^:p

L

Linksmyfavorite

I say that there is a lot of... well not ROMANCE, but very close friendships with characters in the Legend of Zelda and that is good enough for me.

Link's Awakening:Marin (a little more than friends)

Ocarina of Time: Saria, Navi, and Zelda, (though Link was "engaged" to Ruto I say they weren't that close as compared to everyone else).

Majora's Mask: Tatl

Windwaker + Phantom Hourglass: Tetra/Zelda

Minish Cap, A Link to the Past, and Four Swords: Zelda

Twilight Princess: Midna and Ilia (a little more than friends)

Though the thing that actually bugs me is that they don't show any seriousness to Link and Ilia's relationshhip. I would have actually liked it if they ended up to become a couple.

bellum

Gamer since age 2
I say that there is a lot of... well not ROMANCE, but very close friendships with characters in the Legend of Zelda and that is good enough for me.

Link's Awakening:Marin (a little more than friends)

Ocarina of Time: Saria, Navi, and Zelda, (though Link was "engaged" to Ruto I say they weren't that close as compared to everyone else).

Majora's Mask: Tatl

Windwaker + Phantom Hourglass: Tetra/Zelda

Minish Cap, A Link to the Past, and Four Swords: Zelda

Twilight Princess: Midna and Ilia (a little more than friends)

Though the thing that actually bugs me is that they don't show any seriousness to Link and Ilia's relationshhip. I would have actually liked it if they ended up to become a couple.
yeah I guess but the only reason the ruto didn't really marry Link is beacause she was a Sage and she had to do her duties as a sage andways I still think link and zelda/tartra were pretty close and Link wasn't that close to the fairies they were just friends that bonded together through there adventure

Well I will like to propose the saria and link for OoT. They seemed really really close in this game. Also Kikori are not kids (as some people seem to think) the just keep there Youth.

I really find that lack of any specified romance slightly annoying. I mean It would be a great story. It dosnt have to be chick flick quality, (and I would be pissed if it was) but at least add something.

Ilia from TP seemed to be a great addition. If they had went deeper into that I would have been veary happy as it does seem to be a "love intrest" for link.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I'm a sucker for this all, to my downfall. I've always assumed that Zelda and Link should be together, since the series is named after her, and is the heroine the majority of the time.

Sorry, I don't have a theory!

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
yeah, the only game hes ever shown affection towards a girl is in AoL. other than that he doesnt show any feelings towards any girls so i dont know where anyone gets their theories from...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom