• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
Hotel Dusk for the DS

excellent story, excellent writing, excellent soundtrack, most characters are fleshed out, compelling narrative, my only complaints are that since you have to hold the system on its side, it gets uncomfortable to play in not too long, and of course some mildly obtuse puzzles or segments that resulted in me looking at a walkthough

otherwise this is a top tier DS game, Kyle Hyde is probably one of my favorite nintendo characters

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

Undisputed Robot Overlord of ZD (RIP Scrapper)
Hotel Dusk for the DS

excellent story, excellent writing, excellent soundtrack, most characters are fleshed out, compelling narrative, my only complaints are that since you have to hold the system on its side, it gets uncomfortable to play in not too long, and of course some mildly obtuse puzzles or segments that resulted in me looking at a walkthough

otherwise this is a top tier DS game, Kyle Hyde is probably one of my favorite nintendo characters
heard many good things about this from a friend of mine
a friend of mine who also espouses things like the layton games

twilitfalchion

ephemeral dreams and spinning scales
Staff member
ZD Legend
Tales of Arise

Fun story, lovable main cast of characters, great gameplay. Nails the presentation, the music, the visuals, etc. Especially when it comes to art style, Arise has one of the most inspired, beautiful styles I've seen in a game. Ufotable on point with the anime cutscenes too. Pacing is very solid, for the most part. The world is fairly linear, but I don't mind it because you're rarely wasting a bunch of time walking through empty space, and if there are branching paths, there's almost always something worth finding down those paths. Combat was always a fun time because of how smooth and satisfying it felt. I mained Alphen for the majority of the game, but other characters like Rinwell have fun kits too.

If I had any complaints, I'd say the enemy/boss quality is a bit all over the place. For the majority of the game, I'd be cruising along tearing through enemies without issue, only to run into a boss that'd wipe my party. In the latter part of the game, the enemies also tend to have more bloated HP pools, so that's not ideal. However, it never became so much of an issue that it brought down the experience as a whole. Other nitpicks would be missing the traditional 2D portraits for skits, which I thought had more personality than the 3D models, and the lack of the results screen, with all silly fanfare. Like I said, they're nitpicks, but I did miss them being in the game.

Overall, I'm very happy with Arise. Enjoyed it from beginning to end, despite my gripes, and I'm looking forward to tackling some of the post game content.

Sticky Terms - 5 star app store review™

Sticky Terms is a weird mobile game I found last night where you unscramble the anatomy of lettering to spell unique words and idioms that don't have an equivalent in other languages. Its appeal to me was the way it deconstructs the letters and is more a puzzle of knowing what parts of a letter you're dealing with moreso than the word you're assembling. Ever sicce MyFonts' wonderful font game left the app store, I've been need of a fun typographical mobile game, and I found it in the form of this game. The developer truly has a beautiful mind.

Only thing is, I wish there were more boards to solve... I already did all 250 of them and now I'm sad.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
Star Wars Republic Commando

here's the thing, this game is super good and definitely one of my favorite Star Wars games, but it's buggy as ****. I don't know if its the switch port, but aside the typical frame jitters, there's a few intrusive issues like my camera being randomly pointed all the way up or down for no reason, and points where I physically can't move the camera left or right, which is a travesty of an issue to have in a FPS. I'm so mixed on it b/c I think the game's awesome, but the technical problems really dampened my experience, maybe go w/ a different platform if you're interested in this game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
Fire Emblem Three Houses
one hell of a good game w/ lots of character interactions and story scope that reminds me of Radiant Dawn, it also feels like they wanted to do the Fates idea again but make it right this time, since it felt more choice heavy than that game

I want to space out my playthroughs, so hopefully by this time next year, I will have done blue lions and golden deer

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
Castlevania Dracula X
wow the last couple levels are atrocious, and this might be the worst dracula boss fight I've seen, aside the one from the first game boy game

otherwise, the game is pretty fine, but its undoubtedly a lesser version of Rondo of Blood or the PSP remake, which is one of the best games in the series I've played yet

twilitfalchion

ephemeral dreams and spinning scales
Staff member
ZD Legend
Tales of the Abyss

Yeah, this one had been sitting in my backlog for way too long. Started and dropped it a couple times, in fact. A shame too, since it ended up being a game that really grew on me as I kept playing. First impressions as far as plot/cast went weren't great, but some more progress saw the everything kick off nicely, keeping me engaged through the end. It's got its share of somewhat dated mechanics, but I think it holds up very well even now. A great adventure with an (ultimately) lovable cast of characters. Arise got me into Tales, more or less, but I think it's fair to say that finishing Abyss has really left me wanting to explore as much of the series as I can. Abyss HD remaster when?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
ok I have a lot of posts here so I'll keep this one brief

Kena: Bridge of Spirits is flippin good, feels like a moderinzed 6th gen action adventure game, and it gave me a ton of Ico vibes in terms of atmosphere and environmental puzzles, luckily not as much puzzles as Ico

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom