• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Fire Emblem Three Houses
one hell of a good game w/ lots of character interactions and story scope that reminds me of Radiant Dawn, it also feels like they wanted to do the Fates idea again but make it right this time, since it felt more choice heavy than that game

I want to space out my playthroughs, so hopefully by this time next year, I will have done blue lions and golden deer

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Castlevania Dracula X
wow the last couple levels are atrocious, and this might be the worst dracula boss fight I've seen, aside the one from the first game boy game

otherwise, the game is pretty fine, but its undoubtedly a lesser version of Rondo of Blood or the PSP remake, which is one of the best games in the series I've played yet

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Tales of the Abyss

Yeah, this one had been sitting in my backlog for way too long. Started and dropped it a couple times, in fact. A shame too, since it ended up being a game that really grew on me as I kept playing. First impressions as far as plot/cast went weren't great, but some more progress saw the everything kick off nicely, keeping me engaged through the end. It's got its share of somewhat dated mechanics, but I think it holds up very well even now. A great adventure with an (ultimately) lovable cast of characters. Arise got me into Tales, more or less, but I think it's fair to say that finishing Abyss has really left me wanting to explore as much of the series as I can. Abyss HD remaster when?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ok I have a lot of posts here so I'll keep this one brief

Kena: Bridge of Spirits is flippin good, feels like a moderinzed 6th gen action adventure game, and it gave me a ton of Ico vibes in terms of atmosphere and environmental puzzles, luckily not as much puzzles as Ico

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
To The Moon

Wasn't sure what to expect knowing nothing about this game, but I played through it in one sitting the night of New Year's Eve and I have to say what it lacks in gameplay it more than makes up for with its intensely emotional story and incredible soundtrack. One of the most well-written games I've played and the story was consistently good, which made me honestly forget that the gameplay is rather lackluster.

Pro-tip for anyone who may be interested in giving it a try, be sure to have tissues on hand because this game truly tugs at the heartstrings. As soon as I started, I was unable to put it down, which doesn't happen often for me.

9/10

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Just finished Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition. Was my first DMC. I rate it a very strong "just play bayonetta instead" out of ten. Like literally bayo is the same **** but without the part where it sucks. The game looks and controls like hot ass. The camera system in particular was infuriating. Made combat almost unbearable and exploration headache-inducing. I know it's from 2005 but still. Damn. I kept thinking the entire time "man I could just be playing bayonetta right now". Can't say I'm at all interested in checking out the rest of the series.

Last new game I played? Age of Calamity, not too far in so I’m not too sure on judging it yet. It’s really neat but I can’t help but feel it’s a bit restrictive compared to the first Hyrule Warriors…but we’ll see as I continue.

Last new game I finished was probably Fatal Frame V. There are a few exceptions but rarely am I interested in horror games. Just don’t like feeling scared. I’ll watch others play them on YouTube if they intrigue me but usually that’s it, so this one I was kind of challenging myself with for Halloween. There was some creepy stuff to be sure but a lot of it felt pretty tame and by the end I was speed running the last level for all the endings. Interesting but a bit boring, maybe 6.5/10

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
I don’t care for Halo one bit. Before playing this the extent of my experience with the franchise was the multiplayer modes of various titles. But I saw the MCC on sale a while back and I figured I might as well try it just to say I’ve played it. Keep in mind that this is purely from a campaign perspective, as I sincerely don’t care about the multiplayer

Halo: Combat Evolved
Every time I hear people praise Halo 1 they always say stuff like “it proved that First Person Shooters could work on console!”

Have you seen the amount of shooters in the N64 library?

Literally the only 2 things Halo brings to the table is it’s admittedly really good shield system and the 2 weapon system (which just so happens to be one of my least favorite things in modern gaming). So I really don’t get why this game gets so much praise. On that note…

Good God this game is a slog to play sometimes. The weapons never actually feel like they do damage, the enemies take way too long to die, the level design is repetitive and somehow manages to heavily involve backtracking despite being level based. I get that this is to be expected of the first game in the series, but it’s to the point that I simply can’t recommend anyone ever play this game.

Also the story is almost identical to Metroid Primes.

4.5/10

Halo 2
This is pretty much the same game mechanically, just with better weapon balance and marginally better level design. The only new mechanic is the ability to duel wield certain weapons, which is neat but ultimately doesn’t add too much to the game as you burn through ammo twice as fast and can barely use it before having to switch out.

Story wise, Halo 2 does a good job of being a follow up to the original, by fleshing out the covenant as a culture and their reasoning. Playing as an elite was a neat concept, but they never really go anywhere with it. You’re effectively just playing as Master Chief but with a new skin.

Halo 2 is definitely better than the first, but still retains most of the same issues.

5/10

Halo 3
Honestly, I don’t have a lot to say about this one. It’s definitely the best one so far, with deployable equipment being a pretty good addition to the game, but it doesn’t really do anything that extraordinary. Nothing in this game made me think “wow, this is really cool.” But at the same time, there’s really nothing wrong with it either. No part of the game made me tear my hair out in frustration like the first 2, the worst it got was a single level that got kinda repetitive, but even that paled in comparison to some of the earlier garbage.

Halo 3 is a great conclusion to the plotline of the first 2 games. It ends the story so conclusively that they could’ve just ended the franchise there and nobody would really say anything, at least not about the story.

6/10

Halo 3: ODST
ODST is weird, as it’s tone, structure, and mechanics are completely different. You’re not playing as Master Chief, but rather you play as a group of “Orbital Drop Ship Troopers,” with whichever one you’re playing as specifically depending on the level. Right away, this by far has the most interesting setup in the franchise, as you’re effectively trapped in an earth city that’s currently being occupied by an invading force and have to fight your way out while figuring out what happened to the rest of your team. To do that, you have to go through a semi “open world” map to each level. Unfortunately, this map involves little more than walking from point A to point B to get on to the next level while occasionally fighting a handful of enemies. It honestly just breaks the pacing of the story, and it alone is the reason why I’d put this game just below Halo 3 as it’s otherwise on equal ground with it.

5.5/10

Halo: Reach
Reach is a prequel to Combat Evolved where you play as an unnamed Spartan (the same classification of soldier as Master Chief) defending the planet “reach” from the invading covenant along with the other Spartans in your crew. Mechanically, Reach is pretty much the same as 3, but they replaced the deployable equipment with armor modifications, which are effectively the same thing, but now they’re rechargeable abilities as opposed to single-use items.

Reach does a really good job of putting you in the shoes of the Spartans as they hopelessly defend the planet as it falls. There were moments when I legitimately felt anger towards the Covenant. Though the game kinda falls into the cliché “pseudo character study where everyone in the group dies one-by-one to serve a greater cause,” I still enjoyed its story. This is definitely my favorite Halo game, though I still wouldn’t overly recommend it to anyone.

6.5/10

Halo 4
I find it kinda weird that 4 was even in the collection. It’s the only one here that was developed by 343 studios and it’s plot kinda separates it from the rest of the games as it doesn’t follow the same war that the other 5 did. It’s definitely the odd one out.

Likewise, I definitely don’t think 4 holds up to previous titles. Aside from the weapon balance, 4 somehow manages to share the exact same problems as the first 2 games. The level design is tedious, the enemies are complete damage sponges, and the new stuff implemented just doesn’t feel fun to play with. Unlike the first 2 games, though, not even the story could save 4 as it felt completely unnecessary and brought up more questions than answers. Maybe it’s because this is the sixth Halo game in a row that I’ve played in the past 2 weeks, but I simply didn’t have fun with this one.

4.5/10

I gotta say, this entire franchise feels incredibly mediocre. Even at its best with Halo 3 and Reach, I never truly felt like I was having fun with it. It’s not a bad series, but I sincerely don’t understand the hype behind it, as I always feel like I could be playing something better.

5.5/10

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
That's weird, I just came here to review ODST. I played and completed it on legendary last year and I just started playing it multiplayer with my brother-in-law last night. He and I have beaten CE, 2, 3, and 4 all physical on original hardware (not a fan of MCC) and now we're doing ODST and later Reach, which I've never played.

I love, LOVE Halo 2. Up until I moved in July, we were doing 12-16 player lan parties on it every few weeks. CE is a great game, Halo 3's multiplayer is about as good as 2's, but ODST just didn't really do it for me. It feels like a game made for Master Chief but you're not Master Chief. Imagine it like Nintendo tried to jam a Forza experience into the Mario Kart engine. ODST acts like it's going to be a stealth shooter in the Halo universe but it ends up being Halo 3 with a weaker character.

Still, once you get used to the incongruous setup, there's a worthwhile game to be played. This is still Bungee and even under the circumstances, they knew how to produce Halo. The first few hours of the game are pretty slow but it ramps up a bit to a satisfactory conclusion.

Let's give it a 5/10 overall.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition

Such a really great platformer metroidvania game. The combat is a little bit lackluster but everything really makes for it. Can’t wait to try Will of the Wisps

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade 10/10

I didn't play the original FF7 as I was a purely Nintendo gamer at that time. I also don't care for that turn based gameplay style. However I enjoyed Advent Children and thought FF7s world had an interesting lore and considering how loved it is I wanted to experience it for myself. So when I heard a remake with modern gameplay was coming I was super excited.

Then I kind of forgot about it because they took so long. However eventually it came to the PC and my friend was enjoying it at the time. Not having anything else I wanted to play I downloaded it and started it up.

Honestly the game was an absolute joy from start to finish. The soundtrack is incredible from the get go. The graphics are beautiful. The characters are beautiful. It was just a wonderful game world to be in and immerse myself in. Every side character and NPC has unique dialogue and made the world feel alive and believable. There was nobody out of place just wandering there just to fill a space and no recycled voice clips like the NPCs of Cyberpunk or Skyrim.

There are two gameplay modes. Classic where the characters fight on their own and you just give commands or normal where you do the fighting yourself and give commands as well. I did the normal mode because I like to be in control of the action. The gameplay was fun with a good selection of items and spells to suit any players style.

The story was great with a perfect mix of seriousness, emotional moments and there was the downright hilarious and bizarre stuff too which I absolutely loved. I was grinning ear to ear with the fabulosity that took place around the midpoint of the game and if you've played it I think you can guess the bit I loved. I can't fault it really for a first play through I never thought any moment was dull.

Side quests were not tedious and like I said it was a joy to help side characters out and they enriched the experience and made the towns and things seem like places where real people live.

Voice acting was actually very good indeed. They sadly replaced the veteran voice cast due to dumb reasons. However almost all of the characters sounded wonderful anyway with the new cast doing a stellar job. I thought Cloud, Barrett, Tifa and Aerith were all great. One of them that really stood out for me was Professor Hojo, he was truly sickening onscreen and his voice actor really brought him to life. The only voice I didn't think was so great was Sephiroth. I think if you're gonna replace George Newburn it's some big boots to fill and I'm used to those deep seductive tones for Sephiroth but we didn't really get that for FF7 R. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game or anything like that but it was the only instance where I would say replacing the original voice actor was totally wrong to do. I know George would have loved to return as well.

Bonus point though for the fat barons belly physics! Jiggling better than the Skyward Sword Moblins.

I am amazed this game only covers and expands upon the first few hours of the original FF7 which means there is a while lot more to come. This one took me 40hrs to do so the prospect of two or three times more content on the way is an exciting one. If you haven't played it. It still feels like a very complete and fulfilling game rather than just there to set up a sequel.

This one is now firmly in my top games of all time list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom