• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Game That You Played

Mellow Ezlo

Spooky Bard
Forum Volunteer
To The Moon

Wasn't sure what to expect knowing nothing about this game, but I played through it in one sitting the night of New Year's Eve and I have to say what it lacks in gameplay it more than makes up for with its intensely emotional story and incredible soundtrack. One of the most well-written games I've played and the story was consistently good, which made me honestly forget that the gameplay is rather lackluster.

Pro-tip for anyone who may be interested in giving it a try, be sure to have tissues on hand because this game truly tugs at the heartstrings. As soon as I started, I was unable to put it down, which doesn't happen often for me.

9/10

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Just finished Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition. Was my first DMC. I rate it a very strong "just play bayonetta instead" out of ten. Like literally bayo is the same **** but without the part where it sucks. The game looks and controls like hot ass. The camera system in particular was infuriating. Made combat almost unbearable and exploration headache-inducing. I know it's from 2005 but still. Damn. I kept thinking the entire time "man I could just be playing bayonetta right now". Can't say I'm at all interested in checking out the rest of the series.

Last new game I played? Age of Calamity, not too far in so I’m not too sure on judging it yet. It’s really neat but I can’t help but feel it’s a bit restrictive compared to the first Hyrule Warriors…but we’ll see as I continue.

Last new game I finished was probably Fatal Frame V. There are a few exceptions but rarely am I interested in horror games. Just don’t like feeling scared. I’ll watch others play them on YouTube if they intrigue me but usually that’s it, so this one I was kind of challenging myself with for Halloween. There was some creepy stuff to be sure but a lot of it felt pretty tame and by the end I was speed running the last level for all the endings. Interesting but a bit boring, maybe 6.5/10

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
I don’t care for Halo one bit. Before playing this the extent of my experience with the franchise was the multiplayer modes of various titles. But I saw the MCC on sale a while back and I figured I might as well try it just to say I’ve played it. Keep in mind that this is purely from a campaign perspective, as I sincerely don’t care about the multiplayer

Halo: Combat Evolved
Every time I hear people praise Halo 1 they always say stuff like “it proved that First Person Shooters could work on console!”

Have you seen the amount of shooters in the N64 library?

Literally the only 2 things Halo brings to the table is it’s admittedly really good shield system and the 2 weapon system (which just so happens to be one of my least favorite things in modern gaming). So I really don’t get why this game gets so much praise. On that note…

Good God this game is a slog to play sometimes. The weapons never actually feel like they do damage, the enemies take way too long to die, the level design is repetitive and somehow manages to heavily involve backtracking despite being level based. I get that this is to be expected of the first game in the series, but it’s to the point that I simply can’t recommend anyone ever play this game.

Also the story is almost identical to Metroid Primes.

4.5/10

Halo 2
This is pretty much the same game mechanically, just with better weapon balance and marginally better level design. The only new mechanic is the ability to duel wield certain weapons, which is neat but ultimately doesn’t add too much to the game as you burn through ammo twice as fast and can barely use it before having to switch out.

Story wise, Halo 2 does a good job of being a follow up to the original, by fleshing out the covenant as a culture and their reasoning. Playing as an elite was a neat concept, but they never really go anywhere with it. You’re effectively just playing as Master Chief but with a new skin.

Halo 2 is definitely better than the first, but still retains most of the same issues.

5/10

Halo 3
Honestly, I don’t have a lot to say about this one. It’s definitely the best one so far, with deployable equipment being a pretty good addition to the game, but it doesn’t really do anything that extraordinary. Nothing in this game made me think “wow, this is really cool.” But at the same time, there’s really nothing wrong with it either. No part of the game made me tear my hair out in frustration like the first 2, the worst it got was a single level that got kinda repetitive, but even that paled in comparison to some of the earlier garbage.

Halo 3 is a great conclusion to the plotline of the first 2 games. It ends the story so conclusively that they could’ve just ended the franchise there and nobody would really say anything, at least not about the story.

6/10

Halo 3: ODST
ODST is weird, as it’s tone, structure, and mechanics are completely different. You’re not playing as Master Chief, but rather you play as a group of “Orbital Drop Ship Troopers,” with whichever one you’re playing as specifically depending on the level. Right away, this by far has the most interesting setup in the franchise, as you’re effectively trapped in an earth city that’s currently being occupied by an invading force and have to fight your way out while figuring out what happened to the rest of your team. To do that, you have to go through a semi “open world” map to each level. Unfortunately, this map involves little more than walking from point A to point B to get on to the next level while occasionally fighting a handful of enemies. It honestly just breaks the pacing of the story, and it alone is the reason why I’d put this game just below Halo 3 as it’s otherwise on equal ground with it.

5.5/10

Halo: Reach
Reach is a prequel to Combat Evolved where you play as an unnamed Spartan (the same classification of soldier as Master Chief) defending the planet “reach” from the invading covenant along with the other Spartans in your crew. Mechanically, Reach is pretty much the same as 3, but they replaced the deployable equipment with armor modifications, which are effectively the same thing, but now they’re rechargeable abilities as opposed to single-use items.

Reach does a really good job of putting you in the shoes of the Spartans as they hopelessly defend the planet as it falls. There were moments when I legitimately felt anger towards the Covenant. Though the game kinda falls into the cliché “pseudo character study where everyone in the group dies one-by-one to serve a greater cause,” I still enjoyed its story. This is definitely my favorite Halo game, though I still wouldn’t overly recommend it to anyone.

6.5/10

Halo 4
I find it kinda weird that 4 was even in the collection. It’s the only one here that was developed by 343 studios and it’s plot kinda separates it from the rest of the games as it doesn’t follow the same war that the other 5 did. It’s definitely the odd one out.

Likewise, I definitely don’t think 4 holds up to previous titles. Aside from the weapon balance, 4 somehow manages to share the exact same problems as the first 2 games. The level design is tedious, the enemies are complete damage sponges, and the new stuff implemented just doesn’t feel fun to play with. Unlike the first 2 games, though, not even the story could save 4 as it felt completely unnecessary and brought up more questions than answers. Maybe it’s because this is the sixth Halo game in a row that I’ve played in the past 2 weeks, but I simply didn’t have fun with this one.

4.5/10

I gotta say, this entire franchise feels incredibly mediocre. Even at its best with Halo 3 and Reach, I never truly felt like I was having fun with it. It’s not a bad series, but I sincerely don’t understand the hype behind it, as I always feel like I could be playing something better.

5.5/10

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
That's weird, I just came here to review ODST. I played and completed it on legendary last year and I just started playing it multiplayer with my brother-in-law last night. He and I have beaten CE, 2, 3, and 4 all physical on original hardware (not a fan of MCC) and now we're doing ODST and later Reach, which I've never played.

I love, LOVE Halo 2. Up until I moved in July, we were doing 12-16 player lan parties on it every few weeks. CE is a great game, Halo 3's multiplayer is about as good as 2's, but ODST just didn't really do it for me. It feels like a game made for Master Chief but you're not Master Chief. Imagine it like Nintendo tried to jam a Forza experience into the Mario Kart engine. ODST acts like it's going to be a stealth shooter in the Halo universe but it ends up being Halo 3 with a weaker character.

Still, once you get used to the incongruous setup, there's a worthwhile game to be played. This is still Bungee and even under the circumstances, they knew how to produce Halo. The first few hours of the game are pretty slow but it ramps up a bit to a satisfactory conclusion.

Let's give it a 5/10 overall.

ThatCat

Cat
Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition: 9.5/10

Such a really great platformer game with a cute, emotional story. The combat is a little bit lackluster but everything really makes for it. Can’t wait to try Will of the Wisps

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade 10/10

I didn't play the original FF7 as I was a purely Nintendo gamer at that time. I also don't care for that turn based gameplay style. However I enjoyed Advent Children and thought FF7s world had an interesting lore and considering how loved it is I wanted to experience it for myself. So when I heard a remake with modern gameplay was coming I was super excited.

Then I kind of forgot about it because they took so long. However eventually it came to the PC and my friend was enjoying it at the time. Not having anything else I wanted to play I downloaded it and started it up.

Honestly the game was an absolute joy from start to finish. The soundtrack is incredible from the get go. The graphics are beautiful. The characters are beautiful. It was just a wonderful game world to be in and immerse myself in. Every side character and NPC has unique dialogue and made the world feel alive and believable. There was nobody out of place just wandering there just to fill a space and no recycled voice clips like the NPCs of Cyberpunk or Skyrim.

There are two gameplay modes. Classic where the characters fight on their own and you just give commands or normal where you do the fighting yourself and give commands as well. I did the normal mode because I like to be in control of the action. The gameplay was fun with a good selection of items and spells to suit any players style.

The story was great with a perfect mix of seriousness, emotional moments and there was the downright hilarious and bizarre stuff too which I absolutely loved. I was grinning ear to ear with the fabulosity that took place around the midpoint of the game and if you've played it I think you can guess the bit I loved. I can't fault it really for a first play through I never thought any moment was dull.

Side quests were not tedious and like I said it was a joy to help side characters out and they enriched the experience and made the towns and things seem like places where real people live.

Voice acting was actually very good indeed. They sadly replaced the veteran voice cast due to dumb reasons. However almost all of the characters sounded wonderful anyway with the new cast doing a stellar job. I thought Cloud, Barrett, Tifa and Aerith were all great. One of them that really stood out for me was Professor Hojo, he was truly sickening onscreen and his voice actor really brought him to life. The only voice I didn't think was so great was Sephiroth. I think if you're gonna replace George Newburn it's some big boots to fill and I'm used to those deep seductive tones for Sephiroth but we didn't really get that for FF7 R. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game or anything like that but it was the only instance where I would say replacing the original voice actor was totally wrong to do. I know George would have loved to return as well.

Bonus point though for the fat barons belly physics! Jiggling better than the Skyward Sword Moblins.

I am amazed this game only covers and expands upon the first few hours of the original FF7 which means there is a while lot more to come. This one took me 40hrs to do so the prospect of two or three times more content on the way is an exciting one. If you haven't played it. It still feels like a very complete and fulfilling game rather than just there to set up a sequel.

This one is now firmly in my top games of all time list!

Dapperchihiro123

pokemon legends endorser
pokemon legends arceus, it is VER GOOD 5/5. i may just be in the starstruck phase when i first play a video game and i will deny any criticisms. the stealth mechanic is pretty good, but i wish you could sneak up on things without grass. people have been complaining about the amount of pokemon, of which there are 242. this does not seem like a lot with SwSh's 600, but it feels like more because you have to catch and research and give your attention to the majority of pokemon. mythical and legendary dex is auto filled when you catch them. this may be the best pokemon game yet, and if they don't continue this series, then ever. i don't normally like pokemon. i liked x and y loved. sun and moon i loved as well, but then SwSh made me fall out of love with pokemon, and gen 9 i am not going to get anywhere near its release. i will see if people say its like SwSh and if they do, i will not get it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
Ys 9: Monstrum Nox
great game albeit a step back from Ys 8, the setting is really drab and dull, it gives Liberty City a run for its money in drabness, but the characters are great and so is the gameplay so it has it where it counts, though it has pacing issues and in my opinion, the plot didn't intrigue me until way later, but all in all I'm glad I played it

thePlinko

Harmo Knight

The first of the digital only games I bought in preparation of the eShop closing, and one of 2 non-Pokémon games on the 3DS developed by Game Freak…. and it’s just ok.

Granted, I’m not too overly fond of rhythm games in general, I enjoyed CoH for what it’s worth, and I loved Donky Konga just for the absurdity of playing a video game through the controller that’s in the shape of bongos, but apart from that most are too stressful for me to enjoy.

Harmo Knight is similar to Crypt of the Necrodancer (and by extension CoH) in that it takes a popular pre-existing genre and adds elements of a rhythm game to it. However, unlike CotND, Harmo Knight feels less like the genre it’s trying to be and more like a rhythm game with shoehorned platformer elements. You’re still effectively just watching “notes” slowly move towards the point where you have to press the right button in time to “play” them, and it just makes me think that a platformer was not a good genre to mix with Rhythm. The entire point of a platformer is to have the player take as much time as he or she needs to plan each jump accordingly, which directly conflicts with the point of a rhythm game.

The reason CotND works so well is because it’s an action/adventure dungeon crawler at heart, but with a set tempo that everything moves towards, and a mechanic that rewards you for doing everything at said tempo. Neither of these aspects directly conflict with the core mechanics of either genre.

That’s not to say that there’s no fun to be had here, for what it’s worth there was quite a bit of the game I enjoyed, it’s just that every time I did the game would try to change things up with a gimmick in an attempt to make the game interesting without falling completely apart. The best example of this are the playable characters. In addition to “stereotypical vanilla white bread kid who finds magic item that sends him on a magic quest”, you also have “stereotypical elf girl with bow” and “stereotypical egotistical tough guy with animal companion.” None of the extra characters bring anything to the table. You can only play as them when the level forces you to (which also completely stops the music for a 2-second cutscene), and none of their “abilities” change the gameplay whatsoever. For instance, your main character has 2 actions: jump and attack. Both of them are effectively just ways to press the right button when enemies come up, as most enemies and obstacles can either be killed or evaded, not both. But when you switch to the drummer and his animal companion, one of them attacks high, the other attacks low. Neither can dodge. Now enemies and obstacles can either be attacked from up high or low. I don’t know how well I explained it, but the point is that having separate characters is completely superfluous. If anything, playing as anyone but the protagonist is a downgrade since at least he has the ability to charge up an attack for extra points when it hits an enemy.

There’s also no feedback when you miss an attack. Usually in a rhythm game you’ll get a message that says “early” or “late.” Not in this game, and it really becomes a pain not knowing why you missed the jump when you clearly hit the button on time. It’s also really frustrating when you die to a boss, because while the bosses can be decently fun, they also have super long cutscenes which really just make them a slog to have to repeat.

Also, when I heard that the bonus stages all had Pokémon songs I got really excited. Unfortunately there only 5 of them, and 1, maybe 2 are any good. Sure you have the Champion theme from Gen 1 and it’s remakes, and the trainer theme from Gen 5 is a pretty fun inclusion albeit not my first pick, but the others are just bad. The gym theme is just an underwhelming inclusion, Route 26 is fine but not exactly the most memorable track out there, and the last one is the bike theme from Gen 1. Who on earth listened to the bike theme and said “holy moly this ****’s fire, I sure hope it’s one of the only 5 tracks that represents the series in a mediocre Rhythm game”? This is absolutely a nitpick, but dammit it’s a disappointing one.

Harmo Knight is a decent romp that’s not even close to being worth the $15 price of admission. Unless you really want to fill your 3DS with digital only titles, just hope for a sale if you’re interested. Worst case scenario there isn’t one and you skip an ok at best rhythm platformer

5/10

Also yes I’m sure people were expecting me to rate earthbound, I’ll do that eventually.

Last edited:

thePlinko

Earthbound
I played mother 1 a while back, but I didn’t say anything about it here because I honestly didn’t have much too say apart from how you should never play the original when the fan translation of the far superior GBA port exits. Either way I started earthbound immediately afterwards, but got burnt out from too much Mother just before getting to the first sanctuary.

Anyway, I ended up “finishing” Earthbound (I say that with quotations because I actually overwrote my game with an old save state when I was at the final boss and it sent me back to when I was about 3/4s of the way through the game. I’m still pissed about that) just last night, and I gotta say…. It alright.

I’ve realized that I have the same general thoughts towards Earthbound that I do towards Paper Mario TTYD. Both are fan favorite titles in a Nintendo published RPG series that’s well passed it’s glory days. Likewise, I find both games to be firm upgrades from their predecessors in some areas, but huge downgrades in others. Earthbound specifically has a ton of areas that feel completely unnecessary or are just slogs to run through. Granted I’m 100% confident that the only reason I found Mother 1 to be less frustrating than Earthbound is because I had the GBA port exclusive easy ring equipped in the former. If that didn’t exist than I’d absolutely call Earthbound the better game. If I had to chose between Earthbound and TTYD, I think I’d have to go with TTYD for it’s more streamlined mechanics.

Despite having a pretty by the numbers story setup for an RPG, particularly one on the SNES, Earthbound manages to have a ton of really weird plot elements that made me wonder what they’d throw at me next, particularly towards the end. I wasn’t a particularly big fan of the“meta” aspect where the game asks specifically for the players name multiple times. It could’ve been really cool, but the way they follow through with it leaves something to be desired. Still, the entirety of Magicant and most of the other weird, almost acid trip moments really do give this game a personality that stands out.

If there’s any one major flaw I have with this game, it’s that the battle system doesn’t feel as fleshed out as it could be. Maybe it’s just a SNES RPG thing, but every battle feels like it’s won the same way. I never feel like I’m utilizing the battle system in a way that makes me think about what I’m doing, as ever grunt enemy is just “mash A until you win” and every boss is “Spam PSI freeze and PSI Memes until you win, unless they have a PSI shield, then mash A until you win.” There were only a handful of bosses I found difficult in the slightest, that would be the very first boss when I was underleveled, the final boss, and Starman Deluxe. Occasionally you’d use the “Rolling Meter” mechanic (where you don’t immediately take all damage and instead your HP slowly ticks down allowing you to move even after taking mortal damage) to your advantage, but that’s really only helpful when you only have one party member, because there’s never any guarantee otherwise that the first member of your party will even have any healing abilities or items.

Despite getting really frustrated with the game at times, there are aspects I truly did enjoy, and I completely understand why people love it, but it’s just too clunky for me to share the same feelings towards it. I’ll probably finish the trilogy eventually, but for now I think I’ll take another brake from Mother just to cool off from that damn save state mishap.

7/10

Last edited:

Gorozoron

The Jelly Guy

I realized there were side modes in this game
I played them and 100%'d my file
I was confused the last time I played the game because I had collected all the Heart Star but my file was only 97% completed.
I rate this game a Good/10 because number ratings are dumb

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SlideInYourDMs
ZD Legend
Persona 3 Portable

I love this game. The only complaint I had is that I found myself going through the days just waiting for something to happen, the next story sequence that is. Otherwise, I greatly enjoyed everything else that was going on. I much prefer Tartarus as a dungeon than the palaces in Persona 5. I know it's somewhat gimped compared to the console version, but that didn't at all get in the way of my enjoyment. I have very little negative to say about it, it's so good.

Finished the new Kirby on Switch…at 91%. Not sure whether I want to go back for the collectibles I missed, maybe if there’s DLC at some point, but I’m all Kirby’d out. I don’t understand the complaints that it’s short if you get everything…seems to be about regular length for these games.

Previously, both Adventure and 64 have been my favorites. I don’t like to jump the gun, but I’ve had a couple days now to think it over and I think this may take their place. It’s got the really cinematic camera angles and shots I missed from 64 but now with more freedom of movement and the tight control of Adventure mixed in, not to mention really good boss design, and the music and art direction are always good. I’d give it an 8/10 just because much of the later stuff is heavily recycled. Better than how most other games do it, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom