• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Canon so terrible you pretended it never happened

God, I am so sorry I did not see this until now. I'm really sorry, I wasn't ignoring you on purpose.

Did he actually die? The way I remember it his Mando Armour saved him the first time, the second time he was cloned, and the third time he actually died. Although, I grant you, the EU is a mess and has holes. But, as I argued it is much richer. Which I think it is still. To be fair, all it has to beat is a rewashed borrowed ladder progressive new hope. So even if your three death count is accurate, I'd take three deaths to same Sarlak as better than untrained force user beats Sith Apprentice of many years because belief.

In my opinion, the failure that is the prequels can be attributed to the following factors:
-The new and up and coming tech. They didn't use real special effects nearly enough and they were in love with cgi.
-They had the problem I call the "everything is an alien or weird problem". If you look at the originals, a contributing factor is that very few aliens are introduced, and when they are introduced, nobody feels the need to sit around expositioning who they are and how they act.
-they couldn't figure out who the lead would be. They wanted it to be Anakin, I think, but then chose to cast a child actor and focus the first film on Obi-wan and Qui-gon.
-They made the first film for children, the second film for cgi, and the third to prequel into the fourth movie. That's pretty terrible for the cohesion of it all.
-They focused on politics and politics almost by nature are boring in a Star Wars film. Please to not politics ever again.
-Too many villains.

What is wrong with 7? Well, I haven't thought as hard about this because I'm more of a fan in past-tense at this point...but I think the term "try-hard" was invented for it. It tries to reinvigorate the franchise for the older generations. It tries to be a new hope for a new generation. It tries to be cringe levels of progressive. It tries to be nothing like the prequels that were so entirely wrecked. It tries to set up the next two movies.

And don't get me wrong, it sticks the landing on a lot of this, but in the end, it feels incredibly cowardly and safe. It feels like a money grab. It feels like it isn't a new direction for star wars. It feels like the most daring thing that could happen is that the black guy kisses the Sith Apprentice at Han's grave.

And I as a rule hate most safe media especially for legacy franchises like this. They should have made the daring choice to recast han, leia, and luke for a new generation. They should have had their empowered female be Mara Jade and a Leia who grows from princess help me into a strong jedi and commander because that's a ****ing arc to believe in. They should have tried to do what no one does and do the clean up after the happily ever-after story.

It was anti-climatic from the moment you knew he was gonna be vader. I actually like that they don't try to fix that. And it should be a sad story. Vader is a sad character. The dragging on can be attributed to the politics, which I agree about. But over all, it's a rather touching story especially for anyone who has had to watch a person they love go the wrong way.

I don't mind the Ewoks stuff. It's cute and shows the dwarf obsession of the era. 10/10. Unrest your case.
tumblr_mve6rsh2pH1s2wio8o8_500.gif

Well ****.

Yeah. That ending of Mass Effect 3. Even with the expanded ending DLC. It's just... So, so bad. They set up of the games was such that if you played like I did, you were very personally involved in your Commander Shepard's journey. But to end the way it did with the three colored magic buttons, and the serious lack of resolution that followed.... I get depressed just thinking about it.

To be honest, to really save Mass Effect you have to disregard the second and third games entirely. I mean it's easy with ME2, nothing actually happens in it anyway, the 'verse is in exactly the same position at the end of it than it was at the start. Only the Arrival DLC moves the plot forward but because it was DLC ME3 had to be written to ignore it, and everything in ME3 that wasn't about the Krogan or Geth/Quarian conflicts was terrible stupid and wrong (and Kai Leng), and the Geth story (and arguably the Krogan one, because the Krogan were far more destructive than the series ever showed any AI being) completely undermines the alleged central theme of the conflict anyway.

So y'know, the narrative of Mass Effect stops after the defeat of Sovereign. Sad they'll never explore that universe any further, but there it is.

Ambient Nomad

Home Starmy
To be honest, to really save Mass Effect you have to disregard the second and third games entirely. I mean it's easy with ME2, nothing actually happens in it anyway, the 'verse is in exactly the same position at the end of it than it was at the start. Only the Arrival DLC moves the plot forward but because it was DLC ME3 had to be written to ignore it, and everything in ME3 that wasn't about the Krogan or Geth/Quarian conflicts was terrible stupid and wrong (and Kai Leng), and the Geth story (and arguably the Krogan one, because the Krogan were far more destructive than the series ever showed any AI being) completely undermines the alleged central theme of the conflict anyway.

So y'know, the narrative of Mass Effect stops after the defeat of Sovereign. Sad they'll never explore that universe any further, but there it is.
Maybe. I don't 100% agree, but I definitely understand why you say to disregard the plots of ME 2&3. If anything, I think it is simply a reminder that video games sequels are rarely, if ever, planned out in advance, even when development of a sequel is a part of the planning stage of development. This is also why I think the whole Zelda timeline thing is silly (did I just get myself banned for saying this? :bear:).

Video game plots and lore are best compared to comic books, in my mind. Very fluid and changeable. They are altered to fit the need of the current game or the whims of the current development team.

I may have been upset about ME3, but it was a nice reminder of a lot of things. Such as what I mentioned above, and that no story or ending will be able to please all people all the time.

There's good stuff in ME2/3, it's just in all the places the main plot isn't. (Well, ME2 tends to repeat the "daddy issues" theme a bit too often in the loyalty missions, probably should have got the writers together and set a limit on that).

ME2 is a dumb plot where nothing happens or makes sense but you don't care because you're hanging out with your cool space mates. ME3 doesn't quite deliver the hanging with cool space mates either, and completely disregards them all for its ending.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I won't call it by its name. It is a disgrace to society. It is the worst sequel ever made. It was a plot fueled by revenge, simply because the headwriter was basically trying to be some edgelord with the first installment and didn't get his way. So he retconned the entire plot and killed off all of the characters, and went about writing the most ridiculous and incomprehensible story of all time. He missed the entire point of the original material. And that is why the series died. Not just because of the company owning it wanting to make shameless ripoffs instead of actually reminding people of this masterpiece, but because the horrid rubbish falsely advertised as its sequel was so bad that the series could not continue.

I won't call it by its name. It does not deserve its title.

Edit: WOW this post is cringe. Complaining about games I hadn't yet played. Still embarrassed about this.

Last edited:

Gorozoron

wild ride
I won't call it by its name. It is a disgrace to society. It is the worst sequel ever made. It was a plot fueled by revenge, simply because the headwriter was basically trying to be some edgelord with the first installment and didn't get his way. So he retconned the entire plot and killed off all of the characters, and went about writing the most ridiculous and incomprehensible story of all time. He missed the entire point of the original material. And that is why the series died. Not just because of the company owning it wanting to make shameless ripoffs instead of actually reminding people of this masterpiece, but because the horrid rubbish falsely advertised as its sequel was so bad that the series could not continue.

I won't call it by its name. It does not deserve its title.
yes that one
( what is it )

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I like to pretend that the series finale of Dexter never happened.

Anything involving Final Fantasy X after the actual Final Fantasy X. X-2 is bad enough story wise, but holy hell the way they continued the story after the two games is horrendous. I can deal with pretending X-2 is a "real" part of the pretend story, but the audio drama from the remaster and the weird novel just do not exist as far as I'm concerned.

If they ever do make an actual X-3, I hope they simply retcon everything that happened post X-2. Don't try to fix it, don't even acknowledge any of it, just pretend it never happened. There's plenty they should retcon about X-2, which to be fair they clearly realized judging from the audio drama. But holy hell they need to fix that story and learn to never **** something up that badly ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom