• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Skyward Sword is the Best Zelda Game of All Time: Agree or Disagree

I completely disagree with the proposition. Skyward Sword in my eyes is quite possibly the worst 3D Zelda in the entire franchise. The WiiM+ was interesting but it felt really forced as you needed to use it to do everything, including doing stuff like crossing ropes which just became tedious.

I agree that the Wii Motion Plus was forced. Do I really need to pull the sword out with it? I had a hard time trying to pull the damn thing out when I first played the game.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Really... man I need a 3DS so bad. Is the game linear at all or did it fixed that somewhat?
Possibly the least linear arguably including Zelda I because even Zelda I requires you to go into dungeons to get certain items for later dungeons. The final 8 dungeons of ALBW can be done in any order without going into other dungeons first.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I agree that the Wii Motion Plus was forced. Do I really need to pull the sword out with it? I had a hard time trying to pull the damn thing out when I first played the game.

Yeah man I admit there were some problems with the Wii motion plus, honestly I feel like they should have fixed those allignment problems, they had time to do it too.

Possibly the least linear arguably including Zelda I because even Zelda I requires you to go into dungeons to get certain items for later dungeons. The final 8 dungeons of ALBW can be done in any order without going into other dungeons first.

Wow that's cool, but even though the game was very open, was it big enough? Did you find yourselves wanting more? Or were you all satisfied?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
What alignment problems?

As I played the game the sword and cursor would come out of allignment. The cursor more so than the sword. The sword would come out of allignmet when I would get surrounded by Bokogoblins, I would fight them and by time I was done the sword was out of allignment. I would then have to recalibrate the Wii motion plus. I got over it, but it was annoying sometimes.

Jamie

As I played the game the sword and cursor would come out of allignment. The cursor more so than the sword. The sword would come out of allignmet when I would get surrounded by Bokogoblins, I would fight them and by time I was done the sword was out of allignment. I would then have to recalibrate the Wii motion plus. I got over it, but it was annoying sometimes.

Yeah, it seemed to me like there was huge room for error. I wish it had been more precise all of the time.

Wow that's cool, but even though the game was very open, was it big enough? Did you find yourselves wanting more? Or were you all satisfied?

It has the same game world as ALTTP with the same amount of dungeons (a lot), so if you felt ALTTP was big enough than you will be satisfied with ALBW.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

I never experienced that problem, so I don't know what to say.

Jamie

I had endless issues with my WM+. They seemed to get worse the more I played. On my minimalist run I wanted to throw my Wiimote through my TV screen.

orange4zion

Really wants ST and MC
Skyward Sword was not even close to the best Zelda of all time, in fact, I see many of the handhelds to be better. For one, the game just pushes you on a set path. The game was just that linear. Any time your tried to diverge, Fi or some other force just heaved you back onto that path. Another downside was lack of exploration. I feel the game only let you explore the places that game had set for you to explore. In fact, the main hub area, the sky, made the great sea look like a fun fest. Next is the motion controls, and as a leftie, I felt violated having to switch the nunchuck and wiimote around. In fact, I spent the whole first dungeon not even knowing I was holding the remote wrong. The controls tended to off-center a bit too often, and the aiming, dear god, the aiming. Again, my left-handedness basically prevented me from using the beetle in an effective manner. A shaking hand combined with an off-centered remote? Nuh-uh. Now, to the plus sides. The game, of course, was beautiful. The constant item usage throughout the game was fantastic, a welcome change. The dungeons were quite memorable, at least, the ones where I didn't have to navigate the beetle. The spirit zones I think they're called ( haven't played for a while) were generally fun to play through and figure out. Man, that adrenaline rush. Last of all, the areas were were memorable and just fun to figure out when I didn't have to aim a beetle, especially death mountain. Loved it. Overall, the game is pretty solid and generally a good game, but not up to the Zelda standards we have come to expect, but what's a game series without it's follies?

Last edited:
Despite there being a four to five year development period on a purportedly sensational project, the dev team instead focused on a cinematic experience, taking an edge off of the commonplace adventure of Zelda.

Cinematics have always been used to enhance the adventure of any game's story. Just b/c Zelda is new to utilizing them doesn't mean they're automatically a danger. If you actually paid attention to them they often made me excited to confront the next challenge, such as when Ghirahim dropped Scaldera onto the field or the mini moldorach appeared outta nowhere.

Needlessly lengthy cutscenes and long-winded dialogues without the ability to quickly skip weighed any level of enjoyment down like a heavy burden; dying forced you to watch the introduction cutscene in full (thanks, Imprisoned) due to this useless incapacity.

Lol, if you think SS's cutscenes were long, then wait till you play MGS. Either way you could skip the cutscenes in Hero mode. I don't know why you'd want to skip them in a first playthrough given that they're telling an integral part of the game.

Adding to the list of insufficient presentations--incapacitating to a should-be successful game--are the corridor-like paths that inhibit the boundless freedom of past titles.

TP had those same problems as I seem to remember. And by problems I mean changes that honestly weren't bad.

Although it was Nintendo's goal to make the "overworld" feel like a Dungeon, the concept soon became jaded as I discovered that I was running around in circles in many cases just to figure out what to do.

Going from place to place was confusing?

Backtracking had never been a problem in Zelda for me until that point (trying to get the lay of the land without dowsing), leaving me stranded in a suffocating series of hallways and/or otherwise linear routes.

Again, TP did this (not as bad as SS, but still). And please drop this hyperbole of "suffocating". Have you never played a linear, closed-in game? BioShock and Arkham Asylum are easily two of the greatest games created and they had those same "suffocating series of hallways'.

On the brighter side of things, solving puzzles to open new areas was cool, but again, since each Province and even Skyloft was built like a Dungeon, the overall design scheme was consistently the same.

Where are you getting this idea that the provinces were built like a dungeon? Just because they had puzzles in them didn't make them a dungeon.

Majora's Mask pulled off the intriguing sequence of events and item-wielding aspects

What was intriguing about having a time limit? And nice rider you've thrown in by addressing item-wielding w/o even criticizing it in your previous post.

whereas Twilight Princess achieved limitless liberation of exploration and uncovering secrets

You're joking with this statement, right?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

Yeah I mean some people didn't, It just happened to me sometimes, it wasn't to bad though.

I had endless issues with my WM+. They seemed to get worse the more I played. On my minimalist run I wanted to throw my Wiimote through my TV screen.

Really? Actually the more I played the easier it got for me to use the Wii motion plus, probably because I got used to it as the game progressed.

*Spoilers Ahead*

I had some major problems with Skyward Sword. The biggest issue I had was that it was a Zelda game. Don't worry, I will elaborate on that.

First, I found the controls clunky. I have the integrated WM+ rather than the add on device so I figured I'd be in for a smoother ride but no joy. I was having to recalibrate in the middle of fights and still had Link swinging the wrong way and wildly missing arrow shots. I lost fights I had no business losing because of miscalibration.

Then there was the stuff that made no sense. The bird controls were one example. Another was the fact that you couldn't walk from one place on the surface to another. The Goron could, the Mogmas could. Clearly it could be done. Usually, the Goron beat you to where you were going. Why the need to fly? I would have even been okay if there had been some obstruction that required the tablets to clear at first and then you could walk but no joy.

The biggest problem in my opinion was the story. OoT had 2 direct sequels. Majoras Mask was the child timeline sequel and Twilight Princess was the adult timeline sequel. All of those games had things in common. They connected with each other in little ways and big ways. If you played all 3 you could go through them and say "OH! YEAH! That makes sense!" Skyward Sword was supposed to be a prequel to all of that but it barely connected to any of it despite numerous obvious opportunities to do so.

In one of the million or so fetch quests you find yourself planting a magic tree. This is an easy one, make it the Deku Tree. Nope, just a regular magic tree.
No Zoras, limited Gorons and the introduction of robots, mogmas and kikwis who have not been seen since (chronologically).
The Dragons made no sense. I mean, in Twilight Princess, it was established that there were light spirits (who incidentally had the same names as the dragons), why not run fetch quests for them?
The whole scene at the end with Demise's curse felt rushed to me. It was almost like they made the game they wanted to make and then remembered that it was supposed to be a Zelda game so they needed to do something there at the end.

The game also lacked an epic feel. Twilight Princess was made for a lesser system but felt bigger somehow than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword just got tedious (don't get me started on tadtones).

The game itself wasn't bad, I just don't think it was a good addition to the Zelda series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom