• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Skyward Sword is the Best Zelda Game of All Time: Agree or Disagree

I have seen a lot of criticism directed at this game and most of it has been unwarranted Imo. I don't understand why people have problems with this game because its my favorite game of all time. I loved the romance between Link and Zelda, it made me connect to the characters like never before, particularly zelda. In most games We don't get a good idea of what Zelda is like, we just know she is a princess and needs to be rescued. In this game she is a normal girl,a girl next door if you will. We can tell that she is sweet and cute and cares about Link and The feeling is mutual. All of these factors helped me sympathize with her character and made me want to save her that much more. It gave me a sense that this game was worth playing through to save a girl that meant something to Link. The motion controls also gave me a sense of immersion that I had never experienced in a Zelda game before. All of that combined with an amazing story,music , and characters made this a truly special game. I love all the Zelda games I have played but none of them even come close to this one. In my mind it is the greatest video game of all time,surely im not the only one who feels this way. What do you think?

Last edited:

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Definetly not. In fact, I have it ranked as one of my 'least' favorite Zelda's, even though it's still pretty good.

First off, I don't like the Wii. I know you have to look past that and be objective, but I can't. I don't like waving around with a stick. It makes me feel I have less controls over my actions then with a normal controller, like the Gamecube ones for example. And yes, with the Motion Plus the controls were very good. But I still don't like it. I just don't. So that was a downer for me, even though I realise all future Zelda games might be like this. Then again, I think the reason the Wii U isn't selling is because Nintendo took this innovation thing to far and didn't realise people don't want to play with idiotic Ipad's for controllers.

Then your other point. I really, really don't like romance in Zelda games. Link is an expansion of yourself. Zelda needs to be an mysterious princess. Their conversations gave the game a much more 'kiddy' feeling to it. I prefer the darker Zelda's, like Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess or even A Link to the Past.

Storywise the story was good, but not as epic like in MM or OoT. Might be personal, but that's my opinion. Have to give kudo's to the game for introducing Demise though. He was a pretty badass villain and the idea that he reïncarnates as Ganondorf was also pretty neat. The game also had some awesome dungeons, like the Sand Ship, but then again, so do all Zelda games. I also really missed that open world feeling that other Zelda's had. Plus, your bird can't even begin to compete with Epona as an awesome sidekick.

Overall SS is a good game, like all Zelda games. But to me there are other Zelda games that just suit me better. But hey, everyone is different, that's what makes these discussions so much fun.

^interesting. I didn't like the wii either but it worked for that game. I bought the Wii just so I could play that game and I picked up the controller and nunchuck and had zero problems with it. It felt more natural to me.. Like I was actually holding the sword and shield in my hands. Also why does Zelda need to be mysterious? And whats wrong with Link getting a little loving? Doesn't he deserve it? He has been saving the world for nearly 30 years ya know.:)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It's great that you enjoyed the game as much as you have. Reminds me of myself and Majora's Mask. I can't say that I think Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game, though. I personally put it quite far down the list for a number of reasons, which I'll briefly mention here.

The main issue I had with Skyward Sword was that of repetition. The world was so much smaller than in previous games, and so much more linear in its design, that there was no excitement to going to new places. This is because there was no exploration element present in the game. Once you had visited a location that was it, you had seen everything it had to offer. There is an attempt to inject some new life into some areas later on, like when Faron Woods gets flooded, and I did genuinely enjoy that, but one moment in a 30+ hour game isn't enough to make the world interesting. Going back to previously visited areas with nothing new to find or do made the game quite boring for the most part.

The combat suffered from a similar problem. The motion controls worked fine and were well done, I'll agree, but they were utilised so badly that I would have prefered the game to have been designed without them. Almost every enemy in the game, whether it be a bokoblin, a lizalfos, a stalfos, or a deku baba, requires you to wait for an opening in its defence and then swing your sword in a specific direction. Too many enemies rely on this simplistic method, and it even taints some of the boss fights, such as Ghirahim and Bilocyte. You just find yourself doing the same physical action over and over and over until combat stops being interesting. The use of the motion plus is also the reason why Twilight Princess's hidden skills didn't make a return (except for the shield bash and ending blow). This was a major disappointment to me because the combat system in 3D Zelda had been steadily evolving since The Wind Waker and to see it suddenly take a huge regressive step back was not welcome to me.

I didn't have any issues with the game's story, per se, but I did have issues with its villains. Ghirahim was a bland character in the game because he has no development whatsoever; he is exactly the same at the end of the game as he is at the start. This makes him uninteresting as he is 1-dimensional and seems separate from events rather than being involved and affected by them. Demise was handled much worse, as the game tried to build him up as a threat by just telling you he was evil and powerful. We are given no reason to fear him other than Impa tells us we should. We also fight against a manifestation of him, The Imprisoned, three times before we even learn his name. This just undermines the threat he poses as we have already proven stronger than him before we truly know about him.

There were many other flaws with the game that hampered my enjoymnt of it but there's no need to go into any kind of serious detail. The main point is that the game made the motion controls too much of a focus but made too little varied use of them. In the end, most of the game is repetition, of bosses, of enemies, of puzzles, of locations. There are few moments that stand out, like the aforementioned flooded forest or the time travelling boat ride across a desert ocean, but these are far too few to cut through the general monotony that is Skyward Sword. It's a good game, I did like it, but compared with other Zelda games it leaves a lot to be desired.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think it's fine for anyone to have a view of which game they think is the best as, even though the term best tends to be associated with objectivity, your own personal view still sways your decision. So really it's what you think is the best, and of course your ideal view will differ from one person to the next. Anyway, my opinion on Skyward Sword? Well I'd rate it quite a bit lower than that, but that's just me.

A lot of people's views in what game they think is the "best" in the series comes down to their ideal view of what the series should be. So if Nintendo come out with a Zelda game that has everything you wanted then naturally you're going to view that game as the pinnacle of the series or at least close. There will be exceptions of course, like Ocarina of Time for example, this may still hold that top spot due to its nostalgic edge.

My favourite, and what I think is the "best", is in fact Twilight Princess with Majora's Mask not far behind. Now my ideal installment would have that darker and slightly more realistic edge (and by realistic I'm not just talking about visuals). So these games really suited me as they had that darker tone. I also enjoy a good and engaging story with, again, a darker side - which both games had. And finally, they were also quite mysterious - a trait, which oddly, I enjoy in many games.

With Skyward Sword, while its a good game, it didn't cater to what my ideal view of a Zelda game is. It was slightly more light hearted in the story, character personalities, visuals, mood, music etc. Of course if I go into the depth of my main gripes with the game then you'd would see why I do rate it on the lower end of the spectrum. Annoying controls, repetitive combat, lack of continuity, lack of depth as far as in-game lore goes, a lacklustre plot which I couldn't connect too, not to many memorable tracks, poor overworld design which disencouraged exploration and so on.

However, you're bound to have gripes with certain parts of any game and every game will have its flaws; Skyward Sword just wasn't my cup of tea, but I can see why people think it's the best.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Although Skyward Sword is my personal favorite entry into the series, I can't quite call it the best. One of the best, absolutely -- one of the greatest games ever made, in fact -- and no doubt a huge improvement over the good, but disappointing GameCube entries, but not the best. It just has a few too many flaws.

I'd go into detail, but I actually did that very thing quite some time ago in an article. I'll just link that here.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2012/11/skyward-sword-one-year-later-strengths-and-weaknesses/

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
One of my favorites, but not the best. It has far too many flaws.

The best is either OoT or TP, more likely the former even though I prefer the latter.

I haven't played all the Zelda games, but it's definitely the best I've played so far.

Then again, I think the reason the Wii U isn't selling is because Nintendo took this innovation thing to far and didn't realise people don't want to play with idiotic Ipad's for controllers.

That's not the reason the Wii U's failing. It was the result of poor marketing on Nintendo's fault, pre-releasing the system when it clearly wasn't ready for mass distribution, and calling it the Wii U rather than another name.

Ghirahim was a bland character in the game because he has no development whatsoever; he is exactly the same at the end of the game as he is at the start.

That basically goes for every villain in the Zelda franchise but Vaati. At least Ghirahim had charisma.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Let me start by saying that I used to hold Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask together as my all-time favorite games and that they could never be ousted from their positions. Then Skyward Sword came along and simply blew me away, taking their place as my all-time favorite. However, the very fact that it did so meant that the position isn't as static as I once held, and so I fully believe that any future Zelda game has the capacity of usurping Skyward Sword for that position.

So yes, Skyward Sword is presently my favorite Zelda game. But is it objectively the best? I hesitate in claiming any one game to be the objective best, but if any game had the most qualifications for that position it would have to be Ocarina of Time. Much as I think Skyward Sword is an awesome game - and I really do, I think it excelled in so many areas, and it gave me new-found hope for the future of the series - there were a few areas it could have used some improvement. But for the life of me I can't really think of anything Ocarina of Time did glaringly wrong; there's a good reason it's held in such high regard.

I hate for this to sound like a cop-out, but you really should give that article JJ wrote a once-over; I think it does an excellent job of being objective in its analysis of the game, good parts and bad.

It's great that you enjoyed the game as much as you have. Reminds me of myself and Majora's Mask. I can't say that I think Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game, though. I personally put it quite far down the list for a number of reasons, which I'll briefly mention here.

The main issue I had with Skyward Sword was that of repetition. The world was so much smaller than in previous games, and so much more linear in its design, that there was no excitement to going to new places. This is because there was no exploration element present in the game. Once you had visited a location that was it, you had seen everything it had to offer. There is an attempt to inject some new life into some areas later on, like when Faron Woods gets flooded, and I did genuinely enjoy that, but one moment in a 30+ hour game isn't enough to make the world interesting. Going back to previously visited areas with nothing new to find or do made the game quite boring for the most part.

The combat suffered from a similar problem. The motion controls worked fine and were well done, I'll agree, but they were utilised so badly that I would have prefered the game to have been designed without them. Almost every enemy in the game, whether it be a bokoblin, a lizalfos, a stalfos, or a deku baba, requires you to wait for an opening in its defence and then swing your sword in a specific direction. Too many enemies rely on this simplistic method, and it even taints some of the boss fights, such as Ghirahim and Bilocyte. You just find yourself doing the same physical action over and over and over until combat stops being interesting. The use of the motion plus is also the reason why Twilight Princess's hidden skills didn't make a return (except for the shield bash and ending blow). This was a major disappointment to me because the combat system in 3D Zelda had been steadily evolving since The Wind Waker and to see it suddenly take a huge regressive step back was not welcome to me.

I didn't have any issues with the game's story, per se, but I did have issues with its villains. Ghirahim was a bland character in the game because he has no development whatsoever; he is exactly the same at the end of the game as he is at the start. This makes him uninteresting as he is 1-dimensional and seems separate from events rather than being involved and affected by them. Demise was handled much worse, as the game tried to build him up as a threat by just telling you he was evil and powerful. We are given no reason to fear him other than Impa tells us we should. We also fight against a manifestation of him, The Imprisoned, three times before we even learn his name. This just undermines the threat he poses as we have already proven stronger than him before we truly know about him.

There were many other flaws with the game that hampered my enjoymnt of it but there's no need to go into any kind of serious detail. The main point is that the game made the motion controls too much of a focus but made too little varied use of them. In the end, most of the game is repetition, of bosses, of enemies, of puzzles, of locations. There are few moments that stand out, like the aforementioned flooded forest or the time travelling boat ride across a desert ocean, but these are far too few to cut through the general monotony that is Skyward Sword. It's a good game, I did like it, but compared with other Zelda games it leaves a lot to be desired.
Well maybe you have a point about the villains character development. But having said that has there ever been strong character development of villians in the Zelda series? Not that I can really recall. Atleast in Skyward Sword the villians were an ever present danger and you never knew when they would pop up again. Yes, the game was linear but it worked for this game and the story. And even though you may hate the fact that it was linear you have to agree that the journey to the dungeons was more challenging and you actually had to actually think about how to get there. I personally liked the fact that the overworld itself was more challenging. As for the controls, I thought they were really realistic and I especially liked the shields role in combat. You actually had to be smart early in the game or you would quickly find yourself defenseless and dead. In the skyview temple alone I lost my shield 3 times and died before I learned how to tackle the enemies . That experience made the game more real to me because it was actually accurate. If a young boy wondered into a strange world there would definitely be trial and error. But as you go through the game you (And link) become a more capable fighter as your combat skills and equipment improve. What can I say, this game just did it for me.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Basically, the whole game was a stupid high school drama all the way through. WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY to bright and cheerful for me. And then there's Ghirahim...

^ but that stupid high school drama (as you call it) is reality. Link is a young man and I shouldn't have to tell you that young men have certain feelings for young pretty girls. Im a young straight man myself and I can relate to his character because I would have feelings for the cute blonde too. Even though I love all the zelda games (besides zelda 2) but they are all missing one important thing, motivation for Links actions! In other games Link has no personal connections and the events of the game don't really seem to effect him on a personal level, well besides wind waker. We just see a young man or boy saving the world and/or princess out of a sense of duty or obligation.But in this game we see a young man on a very personal journey to save someone who means a lot to him from death (being sacrificed to revive Demise) . Not only that but if Link fails it will spell doom for the world as Demise says he plans to destroy all who oppose him. Its not a Ocarina of Time situation where the bad guy takes over the castle and exiles everyone to a relatively happy existence in Kakariko Village. No... If Link fails here its lights out for humanity... The stakes are very high in this story and Link cannot fail. He displays fear, sadness, anger, frustration, happiness,courage, and resolve. All these factors combined make the characters and story the most compelling in the series. Anyone who thinks this game is too happy or kiddy need to replay this game and look beyond the graphics. I would venture to say this game is one of the darkest in the series if you pay attention to the story and what is really happening.

Last edited:
This game's not bad, but it's far from being my favorite Zelda game. Some of the motion controls are decent, but some like the Loftwing controls are a big pain to me. Thankfully, it isn't as bad as Phantom Hourglass, but again, it's not my favorite (that honor goes to Wind Waker). Skyward Sword is good, but not the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom