• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Skyward Sword is the Best Zelda Game of All Time: Agree or Disagree

Well I mean skyward sword is the first game in the time line, so of course its not going to have really any connections to the games that come after it in the time line.

We understand that you have your own opinions and that's great, but there are those people who will criticize your opinions so you'll have to get used to it somewhat. I'm not trying to be mean, but that's just the truth.

Disagreeing with opinions is one thing. Criticizing other people for disagreeing is another thing entirely. I've got a pretty thick skin but I'm also a busy person and if that's the kind of forum this is, I'll move on to a place where people can behave in a more civil manner.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
No, Skyward Sword is not the best Zelda game in my opinion if we define "best" in the sense of being most entertaining, most enjoyable, etc. It's a good one, but it's not the best to me. Regardless, this is all entirely subjective and these ***** fights that break out are quite amusing. Fun is not governed by some unshakable axiom.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Well I mean skyward sword is the first game in the time line, so of course its not going to have really any connections to the games that come after it in the time line.

...what?

The point of a prequel is to set up for the already set stories, just like the point of a sequel is to continue from those events. SS just didn't do it that well because Zelda is Zelda and likes not to be connected, despite claiming to be a connected timeline.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Twilight Princess didn't exactly do that very well, either, yet you praise it like crazy.
Twilight Princess was never really a "sequel" though. Think of it as it's own self-contained legend as that's essentially what it was. At that moment we had no timeline and we could only briefly speculate on its position. It didn't rely on telling the proceeding events from another game.

On the other hand, Skyward Sword was clearly stated as being the prequel for the entire series and this was said multiple times. They even stated that it would explain multiple things, origins etc. So with SS we were going into that game with the expectation and viewpoint that it was a prequel. With TP we didn't really have an idea.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Twilight Princess was never really a "sequel" though. Think of it as it's own self-contained legend as that's essentially what it was. At that moment we had no timeline and we could only briefly speculate on its position. It didn't rely on telling the proceeding events from another game.

On the other hand, Skyward Sword was clearly stated as being the prequel for the entire series and this was said multiple times. They even stated that it would explain multiple things, origins etc. So with SS we were going into that game with the expectation and viewpoint that it was a prequel. With TP we didn't really have an idea.

RP labels TP as such, though, and constantly talks about how great it is at being one. That's my point.

The way I see it, there needs to be connection. It doesn't need to be the same game. TP took place some number of centuries (never really said how many) after OoT but there is connection between it and OoT.

Many similar locations. Some of it has changed physically but a lot of time has passed. There is still a village at the base of Death Mountain, the Gorons still live on/in Death Mountain, there is still a trail heading up Death Mountain etc. There is still a Lake Hylia. The Castle seems to have moved but that isn't out of the ordinary over several centuries and the kingdom now includes Snowpeak for example. The Gerudo Desert is still there but you go to a different part of it (or everything in the part you were in was torn down and replaced by the arbiters grounds). The Kokiri Forest is probably much further south than the game goes assuming the Master Sword is found where you left it in OoT.

Things have changed though. People rely less on magic. You don't have a magic instrument that warps you around, makes it rain, causes the sun to come up etc. You can do some of that stuff, sure but it requires an otherworldly magic user (Midna). You don't get magic arrows, only Zelda has them at the end. There is less of a fairy presence. This isn't exactly out of the ordinary. It's common in fantasy for technology and magic to cancel each other out. This game has more advanced bombs, a much larger castle (more advanced architecture) and other equipment that wasn't around in OoT that makes it seem like the Hylian civilization is going a more industrial route. Only the most ancient items are still magic and the fairies can be hard to find (Cave of Ordeals).

There are connections though. The sages exist. They might not be the same seven you woke up in OoT but they are there. The Temple of Time seems to be right out of OoT with some changes which could be explained by the centuries of difference (I bought my house 5 years ago and I already want to paint it). I get the feeling that the most important aspects of the Temple of Time are the pedestal and the door to the sacred realm. The rest can be destroyed and rebuilt as needed (notice, there is barely a temple when you first find the sword).

There are some new things (City in the Sky, Twilight Realm etc) but a lot of the game is from OoT with a few centuries added.

SS doesn't do any of that or very little at least. They made the game they wanted to make, threw in the master sword (eventually) and remembered it was supposed to be a Zelda prequel right at the end despite having marketed it as a Zelda prequel all along.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
...what?

The point of a prequel is to set up for the already set stories, just like the point of a sequel is to continue from those events. SS just didn't do it that well because Zelda is Zelda and likes not to be connected, despite claiming to be a connected timeline.

Yeah I know that but the way the guy was talking it was like he was trying to say that the game should have had direct ties to OoT like the temple of time should have been made to look exactly like the one in OoT, things like that, I don't know, maybe I just misunderstood him.

I know. I was responding to what Spiritual Mask Salesman said and HIS use of the word criticize.

Yeah sorry I used the wrong choice of words I didn't mean to say criticize I just meant that there will be people who will contradict your opinions. I'm not trying to do that though, if I am I'm sorry. I do agree somewhat to what your saying, I do think Skyward swords motion controls could have been better. The surface should have been connected with a field like in To, although I also liked flying on the loftwing also, so I think both options should have been available. That would have also made the game feel a bit bigger.

Last edited:

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Okay, there are very few direct sequels in Zelda. There's LoZ and LA, OoT and MM, and WW and PH. Otherwise everything is very much it's own story with allusions or references to other games, some more than others.

The point of SS was to establish why it is always Link and Zelda who are born to deal with evil and why that evil keeps recurring. It did that. It explained the connections Hylians have to the gods, the creation of the Master Sword and why Link always has to get it, why Zelda has powers and there is always a strong connection between her and Link. There are so few direct references to other games because NONE of that stuff happened yet. What you do know is that the Ocarina of Time is made from timeshift stone, Zelda's harp and Sheik's harp bear a striking resemblance (something the game creators deliberately point out), and that Link pissed off the greatest evil the world had ever known and vowed to try and destroy him for all eternity.

What more did you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom