• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Symbols in Real Life

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
While I wouldn't think that the tri force is directly derived from the pyramids, I think some of the same things that informed the pyramids also informed the tri force.
For instance, the shear size of the pyramids has made the shape a symbol of power: the power that the pharohs held (mostly economic in the case of the pyramids) is shown by the pyramids. The pyramids at Giza also correspond to the positions of the stars in the constellation Orion's belt. Actually this is only a theory, but it's the best one out there.

So while I don't think that the tri force is taken directly from the pyramids I think they have similar origins based in mythology and symbolism.

S

Souldier

There is the theory it's based in the Japanese Hojo clan, their emblem was the triforce -literally speaking- that was created by the first leader of the clan after a Dragon gave him three of his scales, which by the way where the three triangles we all know.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
Pyramids were in Egypt used as tombs for Pharaohs and in ancient Egypt the people believed them to be gods not sure if that means anything because they all were gods in there and Zelda uses goddesses (Din Nayru Farore) but there was hatchapsuit (no idea how to spell the name but that looks right) so maybe I just think they are related.

initialDable

going deku
I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not.....

Have you ever seen any symbols in your everyday life that resemble ones from the Zelda series? i.e. Delta logo looks like the triforce

*on a side note: I tried to make a thread about this called Oh the irony... which had a picture with the words "Zelda Wisdom" which was going to explain this, but I didn't get the point across correctly and it seemed irrelevant.

In fact, yes I saw a picture with a power plant and it had the triforce on it. And nice thread by the way! :)

Last edited:

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
When I went to a japanese sword and old stuff museum, I saw an ancient looking sword with multiple triforce symbols on the sheath and sword.
0_0 Katana style Master Sword!?!?!?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I see Triforces everywhere.

There's a garbage-disposal company that uses it.

There's a certified public accountant that uses it (with "C" "F" and "A" in the triangles on their sign).

It's a very common logotype, actually, particuarly for companies with "tri" in their name.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Actually around the part where I live in Florida, we have a transportation called Tri-Rail. Their logo is made up of three colors: pink, blue and green.

Makar

I am the wannabe Kokiri!
The batteries in my wii remote have the Triforce on them. My school has a corridor where there is a shape on the wall closely resembling the zora sign (the one that's on the zora jewel and on Komali and Medli's tunics)

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
There are already several threads on a lot of the symbols in Zelda, primarily the Triforce. I will merge this discussion with another thread that I've seen.

This was the most conclusive answer I've found.
Bob Majinki said:
This is a symbol you all should recognize:
p1014771lb3.jpg

The Triforce, obviously. But why is it appearing on this samurai? Has the game's influence really been that big that people are becomming fashionable samurai? Well, the obvious answer is no. So what could have caused this? Was this done in honor of Sierpinski and his famous triangle?

sierpinski.gif

Again, the answer is no. Here's what it really is: It is the family crest of the Japanese Houjou clan.

jp-db4hu.gif

There they are, the three fish scales. This clan played an important part in the history of Japan. In 1185, after the establishment of the Kamakura shogunate, the new government of Japan, After the death of the founder of this shogunate, some issues over who would inherit the government. Showing power in the war for the government, the Houjou regents one. With wisdom, they distributed their land gains to assure that loyalties with the people fell to them.

And those loyalties did remain with them for a long time. Any rebellion that was foreseen was immediately stopped. For a while, prosperity was reigning Japan. And then, 1259 came, and the Mongols fully invaded China. The war with Japan became inevitable, and in 1274, they came to invade the island of Kyushu, Japan's southernmost large island.

Due to odd weather conditions in the favor of the Japanese, the Mongols had to pull out early, giving the Houjou clan time to prepare their defenses. With courage to face the powerful foe who had conquered China, the Japanese fought a second war in 1281 against the Mongols. Luck came a second time, and the Mongols were forced to retreat due to weather. A third war was predicted to happen, but the Mongols ran into their own problems back on mainland Asia, so Japan was protected.

Unfortunately, the military expenditures left the Kamakura shogunate bankrupt. The government could not pay their soldiers anymore, and the loyalties faltered. Finally, in 1333, the Emperor defeated the Houjou regents, and their history ends there.

---

This is a very interesting bit of Japanese history I recently discovered. You can read the full article I found here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2133.html It's a truly incredible story, and I am 100% sure that their tale is what inspired the creation of the Triforce. Those bursts of good luck may have also had a role in the creation of the idea behind the Goddesses, along with modern religious ideas, obvious.

I just thought all you Zelda fans would find this interesting. I certainly did!​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom