• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Manga

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I could have sworn I replied to this topic....

Anyway, yes, in my Zelda geekery, I purchased each Akira Himekawa Zelda manga. And now that they've began selling them in English, I've purchased those, too.

The Himekawa team puts a lot of effort into their work, and it's neat to see two people be able to stick to one consistant style, despite working as a pair. They've even managed to keep their style in works that you'd expect to appear extremely different. For instance, they've managed to capture the TWW/PH style perfectly while still keeping to their romantic, feminine art style.

As far as story goes, well... they really are into fillers. The fillers are a nice read, but definitely not canon. I mean, lots of the characters they come up with never exist to begin with, but that's part of the charm of their works. The mangas definitely aren't very long or detailed in story, so if you're looking for something that sticks to the actual plot, don't go to Himekawa's works. Their works are mostly eye candy. Don't get me wrong, though, I love what they've created. I also think it's quite an accomplishment to be so inspired by Zelda that they ended up inspiring the creators themselves (Watarara->Rito).

I also own a growing collection of doujinshi, and I have to say that many of the artists could very well be better than Akira Himekawa, both in terms of art and story. But hey, each artist is different, and it's nice to see different takes on the stories. It's kinda of like seeing the way they played the game through their eyes.
I correct myself- after reading translated interviews, I'm convinced 100% that the manga is canon. I had read that they were canon, and just recently, Crazyfreak (who recently joined here) provided some links in another forum:

Translated Highlights:
"Akira Himekawa(the artist Honda) at first wanted to make an exact replica of the game but decided not to. Nintendo actually gave them advice in which direction they should go. This time they wanted to focus on the personalities, thoughts and history of characters.

Eiji Aunoma agrees with Honda. He says he develops the games but cannot introduce all the elements the Zelda team actually wish for. The manga makes this up for them by filling the gaps in Zelda "precisely"

They talk about the watatara race which was a big inspiration for the Rito tribe in Windwaker Akira Himekawa created a bird race, because at that time there wasn't a race filling up the sky (like Zora's with water, Gorons with mountains) [I actually made a post about that on this forum RIGHT HERE]

Eiji Aunoma says the Zelda team wanted Link to fly, But they preferred to leave that imagination to the fans. Furthermore he adds up that he thinks the personality they gave Link in the manga fits with the personality most players will have of him."

So, this is one of those instances where my eyes were opened to more Zelda knowledge. I do wonder, however, if the same applies for the other Zelda mangas or not. I know the manga contradicts what a lot of fans already had in their heads (in some cases, even my own), but what the creators/owners say goes, really.

I think it's pretty cool that Nintendo will use other forms of media to expand on what happens in the games. It's especially useful for games that are old and not financially worth remaking.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
I have read all the zelda manga that are out I have the Oot ones, Mm one, and one of oracles. I have read the others at the book store, I haven't bought them yet because i'm saving up for the new zelda Wii and St.:nerd:

I agree, the manga are totally 100% (do you here me!?) canon.

S

Shade

I have bought all so far. Hard to say which I liked best. I have to say Majora's Mask. Didn't like the ending to OoT with Zelda saying "I love you" to link as she sends him back, mainly because it comes so incredibly out of left field. I mean, she knows link as a friend, yeah... but I don't think much is indicative in the manga that her feelings for him are deeper than that. I don't know, maybe I'm too used to reading more deeper and darker manga's, and I have to remember that these Zelda ones are more "Innocent-like"

I have the Ocarina of Time Manga (1 and 2) and Majora's Mask. I think I've read fan translations of the others at some point, but I don't remember them too well. I'm hoping to be able to buy the rest sometime soon, when I'm not driving to school or buying textbooks all the time.

I have bought all so far. Hard to say which I liked best. I have to say Majora's Mask. Didn't like the ending to OoT with Zelda saying "I love you" to link as she sends him back, mainly because it comes so incredibly out of left field. I mean, she knows link as a friend, yeah... but I don't think much is indicative in the manga that her feelings for him are deeper than that. I don't know, maybe I'm too used to reading more deeper and darker manga's, and I have to remember that these Zelda ones are more "Innocent-like"

IT WAS NAVI SAYING THAT BEFORE SHE LEFT LINK!

I loved the Oot manga, especially the ending where Link said his reason why he fought to Zelda, but cut himself off because he knew it would hurt her feelings.

I loved the relationship Link and Zelda had, it was really cute.

ZeldaLinkMoment.jpg

Tak

Game Over
After tireless amounts of searching, I sadly have not been able to locate any of the Zelda Manga, however, I have read several pages of it on the Internet.

My favourite (from what I have read) would have to be the Ocarina of Time manga, the relationship between Zelda and Link is wonderful, and really defines the story for me.

And Link talks! I think that sort of ruins the entire secret silent type persona!

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I myself am very interested in the Legend of Zelda manga and I have read both parts of the OoT manga, the MM manga, both the Oracle manga, and the first part of the four swords manga (which is awesome it's best one yet!). I own copies of all the mangas I've read so far except part one of OoT. They're all so amazing and I've got some stuff to add to my already overcrowded Christmas list!

L

Luminary

I like the mangas and consider them near-canon, apart from extra characters like Raven from the Oracle manga and the short story at the end of Majora's Mask that explains how the mask was created, just because I didn't like that. c:

But heck, I never cared for canon anyway, so I just read them for the enjoyment!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Have I replied in this thread before? I cannot remember.

I've only read the mangas online, actually. I'd like to get them someday if my situation improves. Manga can be pricey sometimes - I have the entire "Trigun" collection and the first "Petshop of Horrors" collection and I must have sunk a couple-hundred dollars into each over the years...

That said, I *love* the Ocarina of Time manga mainly because I adore how the characters are drawn. Both Zelda and Link look so sweet. Link, in particular, as such an innocence to his face in the manga. I also like how it really delves into his emotions upon finding out that he's not a Kokiri and in "doing what he had to do" regarding Volvagia - who, in the manga, was an ex-pet. That was dark. Shadsie likes dark.

I've said that I actually like the Oracles mangas better than the canon. And I enjoy those games a great deal... I'm replaying a linked Ages currently. Still, I like how the manga had some actual character development and backstory for Link, I like his relationship (dur, pretty girl! to friendship) he had with Din, I liked his brave little cuccoo, Piyoko, and I liked his ancestor, Raven. I also liked some of the "Back to the Future" esque stuff going on in the Ages manga - like where Raven was close to getting executed and Link almost faded out of existance. I do wish the seeds played a stronger role in the manga (since they're pivotal to the games), but I still find a lot to like about the Oracles mangas "better than canon."

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I've got to say the Zelda manga series intrigues me! once in a while i just couldnt help myself and read a few here at ZD, i like them a lot and found that Link talking was refreshing in many ways. I agree that they also add lots of character depth to the Zelda world and it was the OoA manga that inspired my own avatar for the forums!

anyway I just found out that Chapters (a book store of some renown) sells these manga comics. they have loads of them which I already knew about but now that I know they have the Zelda comics too I may have to get my hands on some of them. I have never gotten a manga before but I finally have a reason to get one now! ohhhh im so pumped!

on a final note the original side stories are very very interesting, and also i think i might go buy one of these Zelda manga books today! hmmm perhaps i will get the Minish Cap manga... it seems too bee very entertaining, though i havent spoiled the whole story for myself with the ZD version. Yep I look forward to reading right to left lol.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
For those interested in getting your hands on the manga: you can order them at Barnes & Noble free of charge! :> This is a good thing, since, for some reason, they're often hard to come buy when you're not buying them online. They only cost around USD$7-$10, so being able to order them for free is pretty cool. A new translation (I don't know which) is due to be released DEC 8, so you can pick it up the day after picking up ST! Two days of Zelda goodness. :>

W

Wolf Link Rules

I need to ask someone this is the Legend of Zelda:Majora's Mask manga is it in japanese or english does it need to be translated?

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
For those interested in getting your hands on the manga: you can order them at Barnes & Noble free of charge! :> This is a good thing, since, for some reason, they're often hard to come buy when you're not buying them online. They only cost around USD$7-$10, so being able to order them for free is pretty cool. A new translation (I don't know which) is due to be released DEC 8, so you can pick it up the day after picking up ST! Two days of Zelda goodness. :>
Minish Cap, and then A Link to the Past in February.

I do wonder if they'll bother translating and releasing the Phantom Hourglass one or not.
It'll suck if they don't.

In other news, i'm very interested to see if they translate Volume 10: Phantom Hourglass.
In saying that, i'll be pissed if they don't, as there is no real logical reason to translate 9 volumes of a currently 10 volume series and ignore the last one.
I wonder if they'll make a Spirit Tracks one being that they did a Phantom Hourglass one as well......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom