• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Manga

I have several, and intend to collect the rest. I own: Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Majora's Mask.

I like them. Although they're non-canonical, they're interesting retellings of the games' stories, especially with the expansion of the plot that they have, and they're an overall fun read.

Plus I like the manga art. :P

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I could have sworn I replied to this topic....

Anyway, yes, in my Zelda geekery, I purchased each Akira Himekawa Zelda manga. And now that they've began selling them in English, I've purchased those, too.

The Himekawa team puts a lot of effort into their work, and it's neat to see two people be able to stick to one consistant style, despite working as a pair. They've even managed to keep their style in works that you'd expect to appear extremely different. For instance, they've managed to capture the TWW/PH style perfectly while still keeping to their romantic, feminine art style.

As far as story goes, well... they really are into fillers. The fillers are a nice read, but definitely not canon. I mean, lots of the characters they come up with never exist to begin with, but that's part of the charm of their works. The mangas definitely aren't very long or detailed in story, so if you're looking for something that sticks to the actual plot, don't go to Himekawa's works. Their works are mostly eye candy. Don't get me wrong, though, I love what they've created. I also think it's quite an accomplishment to be so inspired by Zelda that they ended up inspiring the creators themselves (Watarara->Rito).

I also own a growing collection of doujinshi, and I have to say that many of the artists could very well be better than Akira Himekawa, both in terms of art and story. But hey, each artist is different, and it's nice to see different takes on the stories. It's kinda of like seeing the way they played the game through their eyes.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I could have sworn I replied to this topic....

Anyway, yes, in my Zelda geekery, I purchased each Akira Himekawa Zelda manga. And now that they've began selling them in English, I've purchased those, too.

The Himekawa team puts a lot of effort into their work, and it's neat to see two people be able to stick to one consistant style, despite working as a pair. They've even managed to keep their style in works that you'd expect to appear extremely different. For instance, they've managed to capture the TWW/PH style perfectly while still keeping to their romantic, feminine art style.

As far as story goes, well... they really are into fillers. The fillers are a nice read, but definitely not canon. I mean, lots of the characters they come up with never exist to begin with, but that's part of the charm of their works. The mangas definitely aren't very long or detailed in story, so if you're looking for something that sticks to the actual plot, don't go to Himekawa's works. Their works are mostly eye candy. Don't get me wrong, though, I love what they've created. I also think it's quite an accomplishment to be so inspired by Zelda that they ended up inspiring the creators themselves (Watarara->Rito).

I also own a growing collection of doujinshi, and I have to say that many of the artists could very well be better than Akira Himekawa, both in terms of art and story. But hey, each artist is different, and it's nice to see different takes on the stories. It's kinda of like seeing the way they played the game through their eyes.

I've only read the mangas online (dubious legality) myself. I'd like to pick up the OoT manga someday...

It's like... really good fan-fiction. That's how I see it. Not strictly canon, yet an "extra" take on the games' story that's fun.

A

alphaglider

good but not what i was expecting they could make it longer and more true to the series

S

Subrosian

They're friggin' beautiful.
I have every manga from ALttP to MM (With the original Friggin Japanese dialogue) :D.

My favorite is the manga for Link's Awakening.
In that one case I'd prefer the manga to be canon over the game, because it tells the story so much more beautifully.
*sniff* It's so sad. :cry:

The best part of MM was where Himekawa gives his own thoughts on how MM and the Fierce Diety first meet.
FRIGGIN' AMAZING!

Z

ZFAN2009

I love the Zelda Manga's, there awesome!!! i am so glad viz media decided to bring them out here in English, so we can read them :D

Dragon Tamer

Cold hearted...thing
I love manga but I saw no interest in Zelda manga. In the games, Link doesn't talk.
In the manga, he talks! I think that ruined his reputation of being the silent type.

S

Subrosian

In the games, the only reason Link doesn't talk is because Miyamoto wants the player to imagine what he is saying, or something like that.
And contrary to popular belief, Link has talked in a game before, and no, I'm not talking about those ****ty CDi games either.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
Yeah, I totally own all of them available currently.
It's part of my Zelda fanboyism collectingness.

I need to get around to buying some more Zelda merch soon.

S

Spreeze

I've only read OoT and I have some mixed feelings. For one thing, what came first? (is that a stupid question?) Was it the manga or the game? If the game came first then I felt the manga was too rushed. If the game came after the manga, then I enjoy the manga XD The art is good though. Great style.

I've only read OoT and I have some mixed feelings. For one thing, what came first? (is that a stupid question?) Was it the manga or the game? If the game came first then I felt the manga was too rushed. If the game came after the manga, then I enjoy the manga XD The art is good though. Great style.

The game came first.

I've read the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask mangas a few times, actually. They weren't the best, but I thought - as Shadsie put it - gave an "extra take" on the games. I rather liked the way Majora's Mask was explored, and even added onto. I felt, in some ways, that certain scenes from the Majora's Mask manga were better than the game. Of course, this is probably because of the dialogue.

I really liked the art, as well. I thought it captured Hyrule and Termina rather nicely.

I can understand when people say they felt the manga was rushed, I actually felt like that at times. Especially in Ocarina of Time. However, it would be a lot of work to illustrate and re-create every scene. Moreover, I think the need to cut parts out, and put in others, added to that "extra take", on the games.

I actually like Links personality in the mangas.. everybody is complaining he's to happy and such a typical goodguy.. But I never seen Link like a "Cloud person" from FF7....

I actually like the Oot manga how he tries to find princess Zelda... Especially the "I've missed you" scene is still the best scene in the manga. Same goes for the alttp manga where Zelda hugs Link so that he wouldn't transform into a wolf (Thats right a wolf, and the manga was made before TP)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I've heard of them for almost half a year but only recently have I read one. I must say they're pretty entertaining! So far I've only read part one of the Ocarina of Time manga (I loved seeing Mido get what he deserved) and I plan to read the entire Ocarina of Time manga eventually! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom