• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword ZD Community Gives No Love to SS? :(

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
First of all, if you're a Zelda fan, I don't think there's any game you should or shouldn't play based on other people's opinions, even Zelda II. IMO, it's best to experience the game on your own.

Now that that's been said, I disagree that SS is hated here on ZD. Much like others have stated, SS is about half and half. I like SS, however, I generally put out negative feelings toward it because while I understand that its a great game, like Ventus said, I don't feel like I got what I was promised. Most SS "haters," from my experience, agree that it's a great game, but put off such a strong vibe to counter act the amount of hype it gets even to this day. When others see a game as "perfect" or atleast when they describe it as such, you feel the need to say "well what about this concept that doesn't make it perfect?" And the more you talk about the negatives, the more likely you'll talk about it later when the topic of SS comes up. I could go into detail about the complaints, but like I said, i would prefer if you experienced the game on your own and then we have a nice chat about it. No need to keep your eyes open for my list of negatives that might not even be there.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I personally loved it, but I stay out of the arguments. They turn into flame wars and the last time I contributed to one I got a warning. Literally, a warning from a mod. An infraction...

I might be wrong, but I think TP was the same way.

I'm just curious as to why SS has so much hate from the ZD community from the amount of time I've spent in it so far.

Yes, Twilight Princess had a lot of love/hate as well as The Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not familiar with the Zelda Cycle. What is it?

The Zelda Cycle is a myth which declares the general Zelda fanbase will hate the newest console release while praising the previously hated console release. This started with The Wind Waker, but I can assure you that it is nothing more than a myth; the more vocal people tend to be the people with gripes against games, and their rants and raves do not account for the fanbase at large.

Oh, I can also say this hasn't applied to Skyward Sword as far as I know! :P

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
I loved Skyward Sword. Its one of my favorite Zelda games. I thought the controls were cool and I loved the art style. I also really liked Ghirahim, more than any other part, more than anything in the entire game.

Skyward Sword doesn't receive an excessive amount of hate. If anything, fans are becoming more accepting (if grudgingly so) of alterations to the gameplay, graphics, and story of a Zelda game. After Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker, fans greeted the traditionalism of Twilight Princess with crazed fervor at its E3 2004 announcement. While the final product certainly wasn't universally applauded, TP was a critical point, a transition in sentiments towards new installments.

There certainly are people who complain about the blurriness of Twilight Princess's graphics, the repetition of Phantom Hourglass's Temple of the Ocean King, the dearth of exploration on Spirit Tracks's rails, and Skyward Sword's motion controls but for some years now, these issues have become decidedly more muted. Innovation shouldn't be shunned even if it is completely different from expectations. It's best to enter each new adventure with an open mind. You just might appreciate a pearl you missed before.

Personally, Skyward Sword is the weakest 3D console Zelda game but comes very close to its predecessors. Linear progression, a disjointed overworld, and monotonous boss battles are its biggest problems but those can be forgiven. There's also a hefty amount of innovation on showcase with the Adventure Pouch contributing to a cleaner HUD and quicker item selection whereas the shield meter and stamina gauge cast Link in a more realistic, vulnerable light. With the hands-on motion controls, playing Skyward Sword yourself is highly recommended.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
The Zelda Cycle is a myth which declares the general Zelda fanbase will hate the newest console release while praising the previously hated console release. This started with The Wind Waker, but I can assure you that it is nothing more than a myth; the more vocal people tend to be the people with gripes against games, and their rants and raves do not account for the fanbase at large.

Oh, I can also say this hasn't applied to Skyward Sword as far as I know! :P

Yeah now that you mention it, the vocal fans tend to be against it I suppose. It's just that I've never heard anything negative about SS until I joined ZD. Guess I needed this reality check eh? ;)

With the hands-on motion controls, playing Skyward Sword yourself is highly recommended.

Yeah I only like SS from what I've seen in the gameplay trailers so far, it'll ultimately be up to my experience playing it. Once I do I'll revive this thread and discuss it even more. :)

16 days until I get to play SS! :D

I hope you enjoy SS as much as I am! I love the art style! The motion controls take a little getting used to; as long as you take the time to recalibrate after wildly swinging your sword during battles you should be fine! (I am probably the only one who does that, everyone on here always talks about the coolly calculated and precise moves they make with the wiimote:) I like SS also because it fits my style of video games. I do like direction, I don't always like getting left in the middle of something with no idea where to go next; I am pretty new to these games and this style of games, and I like knowing where to go and what is expected of me (and if I can't figure it out, hello ZD walkthrough). Some people say the game is too easy; I feel for someone newer to the series it is just right, and maybe Nintendo was trying to draw new fans in with it.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I hope you enjoy SS as much as I am! I love the art style! The motion controls take a little getting used to; as long as you take the time to recalibrate after wildly swinging your sword during battles you should be fine! (I am probably the only one who does that, everyone on here always talks about the coolly calculated and precise moves they make with the wiimote:) I like SS also because it fits my style of video games. I do like direction, I don't always like getting left in the middle of something with no idea where to go next; I am pretty new to these games and this style of games, and I like knowing where to go and what is expected of me (and if I can't figure it out, hello ZD walkthrough). Some people say the game is too easy; I feel for someone newer to the series it is just right, and maybe Nintendo was trying to draw new fans in with it.

I can't wait to try it out on Christmas! I'm looking forward to figuring out the motion controls :). Yeah I don't understand why people like a vast Overworld. I prefer being guided to where I need to go next instead of seeming lost like you said. I prefer to try and beat a Zelda game without a walkthrough, and confusing Overworlds are just frustrating if I want to try and accomplish that.

I can't wait to try it out on Christmas! I'm looking forward to figuring out the motion controls :). Yeah I don't understand why people like a vast Overworld. I prefer being guided to where I need to go next instead of seeming lost like you said. I prefer to try and beat a Zelda game without a walkthrough, and confusing Overworlds are just frustrating if I want to try and accomplish that.

I start out each game with good intentions, but I am too paranoid about missing stuff that could be useful, and end up using one constantly. Just started ALttP, and started out with the walkthrough, I would be so lost without it.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
The pre-release hype had a lot to do with the eventual backlash IMO. I fell into the same trap back with Twilight Princess, I read every little snipped of info I could get my hands on and expected it to be the BEST GAME EVAR, but my views deflated after getting it. I still really like it, but my view has degraded over time. That's why I took care to avoid any sort of into right before I got SS. About a month or so before its release they started doling out WAY too much information on the game, and I had a flashback from the TP days, so I voluntarily removed myself from the community. Having done that, I came into SS with a completely blank mentality, I wasn't expecting an OoT-buster, just a decently-crafted game. And SS absolutely blew me away, to the point where it's currently my favorite game ever.

There are posters out there who are very vocal on both sides, those that hate its guts and those like myself who absolutely love it. Just look around the forums a bit more and you'll start to see a more balanced view from the fanbase.

And concerning the motion comtrols, despite what many people have said, I have found them to be the tightest and most intuitive gameplay out there. In fact I have a hard time going back to older games because the controls of SS are just that good.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
The pre-release hype had a lot to do with the eventual backlash IMO. I fell into the same trap back with Twilight Princess, I read every little snipped of info I could get my hands on and expected it to be the BEST GAME EVAR, but my views deflated after getting it. I still really like it, but my view has degraded over time. That's why I took care to avoid any sort of into right before I got SS. About a month or so before its release they started doling out WAY too much information on the game, and I had a flashback from the TP days, so I voluntarily removed myself from the community. Having done that, I came into SS with a completely blank mentality, I wasn't expecting an OoT-buster, just a decently-crafted game. And SS absolutely blew me away, to the point where it's currently my favorite game ever.

There are posters out there who are very vocal on both sides, those that hate its guts and those like myself who absolutely love it. Just look around the forums a bit more and you'll start to see a more balanced view from the fanbase.

And concerning the motion controls, despite what many people have said, I have found them to be the tightest and most intuitive gameplay out there. In fact I have a hard time going back to older games because the controls of SS are just that good.

It's interesting to see everyone's different opinions. Even the nay-sayers are making pretty valid points. I guess the pre-release hype kind of ruined it for a lot of the people who don't like SS. I for one think SS will blow me away once I play it for the first time. I'm very optimistic about it depsite the nay-sayers. I hope it lives up to the hype I've gotten from it (I'm not really worried about it though Nintendo does a great job with Zelda)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom