• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword ZD Community Gives No Love to SS? :(

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
EDIT: I am going to revive this thread once I play SS myself and try to make it into an even bigger discussion. As said below, it's my top gift on my Christmas list (along with a black Wii! :D). I made this thread simply because I was curious as to why a community full of LoZ fans didn't like its most recent game that's gotten 10's across the board from multiple gaming magazines and websites.

EDIT: You guys just love discussing this don't you? Haha!

I've noticed that most of the people I've met so far here on ZD don't like Skyward Sword all too much. It seems like everyone on ZD hates it. Well okay, I know not EVERYONE hates it, but I am being 100% honest, every person I've met so far and every post I've read concerning SS has been negative.

Is Skyward Sword a bad Zelda game? I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. I asked for it for Christmas this month (along with the new black Nintendo Wii :D). It looks freaking amazing to me and I'm actually baffled that people on a Zelda forum don't like it!

A lot of it is concerning the motion control part of it. What is so wrong with motion control gaming? It's innovative. It's the future of gaming. I for one cannot wait to swing the Goddess Sword around once I play SS for the first time! You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to playing it.

One last thing. If people really don't like motion control, I think it would've been nice to add in a feature to SS that allowed people to just swing the sword OoT and MM style. Just pressing B and such. Let people decide between either or, kind of like TP.

-LinkIRL

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Skyward Sword was fantastic, I thought. There are some people who really don't like it but there are also people on here who really do like it too. I guess you just haven't encountered them yet.

Don't worry, Skyward Sword isn't definitely a bad Zelda game but it has divided opinion. I'd recommend you play it yourself sometime when you get chance and keep your eyes peeled for those users here who love it :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Skyward Sword is possibly the one game where the Zelda fanbase as a whole is very heavily divided; there is the camp that loves the game all the way through (such as those 10/10 reviewers), and there is the opposite camp that practically hates its guts (such as me). I mean, there are camps dispersed here and there that like the game, but they don't voice their opinion too much and just let the other camps war with each other.

Now, I think I can say with surety that a great deal (read: not a majority, and not ALL of them) of the anti-SS people do not like the game simply because their hype was betrayed; Zelda Skyward Sword on pre-release generated so much hype, you just won't believe the expectations people had for the game! This doesn't mean that SS is a bad Zelda game across the board, but for those specific people, the game is a bad Zelda game. Like me, I was just disappointed at every turn by SS and I do not hold it in a negative light, but that is only me! You can like the game and I will be perfectly fine with it, just don't try to tell me to like it! :P

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
Skyward Sword is possibly the one game where the Zelda fanbase as a whole is very heavily divided; there is the camp that loves the game all the way through (such as those 10/10 reviewers), and there is the opposite camp that practically hates its guts (such as me). I mean, there are camps dispersed here and there that like the game, but they don't voice their opinion too much and just let the other camps war with each other.

Now, I think I can say with surety that a great deal (read: not a majority, and not ALL of them) of the anti-SS people do not like the game simply because their hype was betrayed; Zelda Skyward Sword on pre-release generated so much hype, you just won't believe the expectations people had for the game! This doesn't mean that SS is a bad Zelda game across the board, but for those specific people, the game is a bad Zelda game. Like me, I was just disappointed at every turn by SS and I do not hold it in a negative light, but that is only me! You can like the game and I will be perfectly fine with it, just don't try to tell me to like it! :P

I see, what expectations did the now-anti-SS's have exactly? Again I haven't played the game, but from what I've SEEN so far it looks phenomenal and exceeds all my expectations for a motion-control Zelda game. I'm not forcing anyone to like the game, I'm just saying if the only reason someone don't like SS is because of the motion-controls, they should maybe focus more on the experience overall rather than the way Link is controlled.

As Ven said, SS is a pretty polarizing title. I'd disagree with his assertion of it being "possibly the one game" to divide the fanbase to such a degree, as both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have generated their fair shares of controversy, but that's not important. What isis important is that I back your camp fervently. I wouldn't quite call it a perfect ten, but SS has remained one of my favorites in the series since its release. I understand the controversy though, as if you didn't enjoy motion control or the linearity of overworld progression, there wasn't a whole lot that could fix the game for you. I personally liked both of those elements quite a bit, so I was able to enjoy the game on a whole more so than someone put out by the play style.

While a lot of those anti-SS elements here on the forum are currently the most vocal, I'm sure if you wait just a little you'll see that the other side gets up on the soap box a lot too.

:I

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I see, what expectations did the now-anti-SS's have exactly? Again I haven't played the game, but from what I've SEEN so far it looks phenomenal and exceeds all my expectations for a motion-control Zelda game. I'm not forcing anyone to like the game, I'm just saying if the only reason someone don't like SS is because of the motion-controls, they should maybe focus more on the experience overall rather than the way Link is controlled.

Well, I can't speak for EVERYONE, but I think the whole theme of the Sky--limitless potential--created this idea in many peoples' heads that the game would exceed Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask, among other things. When Nintendo revealed that SS would detail the origin of the Master Sword, I myself thought that it would be some feeling of epic proportions. The facet of motion controls conveyed the idea that we would finally BE Link, but I and many others did not obtain that feeling whatsoever. Oh, the biggest thing is that with the reveal of a new console Zelda was the notion that we would finally have another world to explore...but we didn't get that. Instead, SS gave us a bunch of levels. There were many other promises and wordings here and there that were betrayed, but that's just for the overzealous, overhyped camp.

I'm sure you'll enjoy SS; there are so many people who do enjoy and spread their love about the game here on ZD and elsewhere. You probably just see my posts more often, which are particularly negative. ;)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmm I have no clue if people hate it. In general I get the impression it's more 50/50. people love it and people hate it. Personally I was not that crazy about the game but didn't hate it either. Sometimes you just play a game over and over again even when it's not the most fav game of a franchise

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
Well, I can't speak for EVERYONE, but I think the whole theme of the Sky--limitless potential--created this idea in many peoples' heads that the game would exceed Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask, among other things. When Nintendo revealed that SS would detail the origin of the Master Sword, I myself thought that it would be some feeling of epic proportions. The facet of motion controls conveyed the idea that we would finally BE Link, but I and many others did not obtain that feeling whatsoever. Oh, the biggest thing is that with the reveal of a new console Zelda was the notion that we would finally have another world to explore...but we didn't get that. Instead, SS gave us a bunch of levels. There were many other promises and wordings here and there that were betrayed, but that's just for the overzealous, overhyped camp.

I'm sure you'll enjoy SS; there are so many people who do enjoy and spread their love about the game here on ZD and elsewhere. You probably just see my posts more often, which are particularly negative. ;)

Haha, I'll take your word for it. I guess we'll see how I feel about SS on the 25th ;)

If you set your expectations too high, you're bound to be disappointed. This is what happened to Twilight Princess, too many people were disappointed because it wasn't what they hoped for. Nintendo kept Skyward Sword under wraps for a period of time so that they can work on the game without it being rushed.

I find myself on the opposite side of the spectrum. I love the game in all it's glory. Sure there were a couple of shortcomings, but that doesn't change the way i felt when i got my hands on it. I understand what you're saying about the Sky, but i can't understand why you hate the rest of the game so much. Skyward sword was and still is a great game to me, it was a bit challenging but not too much of a challenge. Remember they wanted to see how well Wii motion plus would work in a Zelda game and in my opinion they succeeded.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I find myself on the opposite side of the spectrum. I love the game in all it's glory. Sure there were a couple of shortcomings, but that doesn't change the way i felt when i got my hands on it. I understand what you're saying about the Sky, but i can't understand why you hate the rest of the game so much. Skyward sword was and still is a great game to me, it was a bit challenging but not too much of a challenge. Remember they wanted to see how well Wii motion plus would work in a Zelda game and in my opinion they succeeded.

^ This. OoT is 99% flawless to me. The only fault I found in OoT was the fact that Rupees are completely useless in the game, along with collecting Skultulla tokens. A game can have shortcomings and still be an amazing game, no game is perfect.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Ventus said:

^ that.

I assure you there are many members here on Zelda Dungeon who absolutely love the game (I'm one of them). This site is full of members that love and hate the game. Like Ventus said, the Zelda community is heavily divided on this issue.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
This should give you a decent idea of what to expect from the game.

Skyward Sword One Year Later: Strengths and Weaknesses

I actually read that article before joining ZD! I kind of skimmed through it though, I'll have to read it all the way through :)

^ that.

I assure you there are many members here on Zelda Dungeon who absolutely love the game (I'm one of them). This site is full of members that love and hate the game. Like Ventus said, the Zelda community is heavily divided on this issue.

I see, that's interesting, the fact that people are so divided on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom