• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword ZD Community Gives No Love to SS? :(

in my opinion skyward sword is really hit or miss. no i didnt hate the game but i didnt like it all that much either. the motion controls work but youll be re-calibrating them a lot which gets really annoying. also your companion fi is by far the most annoying character not just in the zelda series but in any video game ive ever played. another thing i might add is the overworld in this game is TERRIBLE, there's absolutely no exploration to be done within skyward swords world and overall that's what bugged me the most. yes skyward sword can be fun but i would honestly recommend playing a demo of the game before buying it. oh and another thing i might add is motion gaming is not the future of gaming because no matter how you look at it, motion controls will never be as precise as a button press and skyward sword will show you exactly that.

For the haters (of me) out there just put 'IMO' at the end of every sentence so I don't have to.

I'm not going to give any love to SS because it doesn't deserve any. The game took 5 years to make and follows Twilight Princess, a game so chock full of varied sidequests, items, collectable and wonderful designs, that SS by comparison just feels small, incomplete and wholly disappointing. Everything that Twilight Princess introduced seemed to be missing. Every gameplay and design element seemed to be half done and could have easily been added to such as the inclusion of hidden skills, more moves for the Loftwing, the ability to use weapons while riding the Loftwing, more provinces and more varied enemies. I was disappointed at every turn with SS becuase of what it didn't deliver. What is on the disc itself is okay but there could have been more, unlike TP, SS was an unrealised reference party that, instead of being a spiritual celebration of the series, felt more deformed amalgamation with every recycled element nerfed and twisted into unenjoyable experiences.

(Remember to add the IMO)

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The game took 5 years to make and follows Twilight Princess, a game so chock full of varied sidequests, items, collectable and wonderful designs, that SS by comparison just feels small, incomplete and wholly disappointing.

I know you said IMO, but there are some problems with the three bolded points. One, TP's sidequests involved nothing but searching for things, while SS's involved actually solving people's troubles (like in MM). That basically makes its sidequests more varied by default. Two, SS had less items, yes, but only a couple of them were underused, whereas basically every item from TP was dropped immediately after the dungeon it was found in. And three, SS had infinitely more collectibles than TP did due to its treasure/upgrade system.

Last edited:

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
If you don't 100% games, and focus on the main quest doing bits and pieces of side material as you go along, (like me), then Skyward Sword will (likely) end up as one your favorites, the main quest is very fun and the dungeons I think are some of the best in the series, a major problem that a lot of 90%-100%'s will have with this game is the lack of side material (though I do think the game has more side material then a lot of people say), and while I think that's a legit concern, most of the time I just breeze through the game and beat it without bothering with much of the side material, so it never bothers me that much. I am planning to 100% SS soon so maybe my opinion of the game will change after that but until then, SKYWARD SWORD IS MY FAVORITE GAME E.V.E.R.

Kazumi

chagy
I've probably voiced my opinions about the game in other threads, but I'll do it again here. Skyward Sword was overall a disappoint game for a number of different reasons. Some of those reasons include the monotonous and encumbering gameplay, the shoe-horned, irritating motion controls, and the overall disappointment after all of the hype that proceeded the game.

As for the gameplay, I was very disappointed on a number of different fronts. It seemed to me like Nintendo was trying to craft a "dungeon in the overworld" type experience that is found in the 2D Zelda games. Essentially every different area of the overworld is another puzzle that needs solving. I think that at base value this was a great idea, and Nintendo didn't do an overly terrible job at this, however there were some glaring issues. The fact of the matter is that any moment not spent inside of a dungeon was rather boring and didn't hold interest for very long. It felt like a chore having to trudge through the zones and meet the requirements to go to the next dungeon. Many areas, especially the desert/boat area had a lot of potential, but even those managed to disappoint me in some way. The sky areas were especially bad in these regards, but I don't really want to get into that here. I think that if Nintendo had put a bit more effort into making the zones fun, diverse, and actually interesting to work through then they would have been a lot more successful on that front.

Additionally there are many issues in terms of gameplay that I had with some of the core concepts behind the game. The most prominent of these issues was with the sword play itself. Sure, it was kind of cool to have such control over Link's sword, but even that didn't work as intended all of the time, which I will discuss shortly. The main issue I had with this was that the sword itself wasn't really used in interesting ways during the combat. 90% of the games combat with enemies involved you slashing your sword at certain areas, most of which were plainly obvious weak points. Not only did this ensure that the game was very easy, it also made for rather boring combat. The systems in place in games such as Wind Waker for combat were much better, and even though they didn't feature "engaging" motion controls, the combat still managed to be fun and flashy. I think that this is one of the primary issues with the combat and sword-play in Skyward Sword; it simply wasn't very much fun.

As for the controls, those are another issue entirely. I understand that Nintendo was trying to craft a unique experience that used the motion capabilities of the Wii with Wii Motion Plus to engross the user in the world and make them feel like they were actually cutting monsters down with the Master Sword. I also understand that the control scheme went through countless revisions to make it work better and be more fun. However, in the end I feel like these efforts were futile, as the end result included controls that were not only cumbersome, but did little to engross me into the world that the game was trying to craft. Countless times I would try and do something, only to find that the game reacted in a way that I didn't expect it to, and Link did something different than what I wanted. If this happens as a few, isolated incidents over the course of the game then that's fine. No one was expecting it to work perfectly. Unfortunately, incidents like this happened all to often, and the "intuitive" controls ended up being frustrating, especially for items like bombs, and actually removed me from the game world rather than engross me in it.

Further more, the game could be somewhat annoying to play even if the controls were working fine. This is due to the fact that you had to sit in a rather upright position and focus a lot of attention on actually performing the swings and manoeuvres properly to get the results that you were aiming for. Now, I think there is an inherent issue with a game that is annoying to play. If you're annoyed while playing it, then it's probably difficult to be having fun while playing it. Often times I would want to sit back and relax while playing the game, but that wasn't really possible because I had to be upright and attentive. I don't want to be one of those people that simply shrugs off the game just because they hate motion controls. There are many games that make excellent use of motion controls, even for sword-play (see Red Steel 2). However, I would have loved Nintendo if they had just allowed me to use my god damn Classic Controller.

My final main issue with the game was how it didn't live up to the hype. After the terribly long and lonely dev period between the release of Twilight Princess, I had gotten my hopes up a bit more than I would have liked. I told myself that I wouldn't get to excited for the game, as I had a feeling that issues like the ones I spoke of above my arise. Unfortunately, I did get really excited for the game as it neared release. Needless to say, I was fairly disappointed with the final result, especially after all of that time that Nintendo had. I thought that maybe after five years Nintendo would have actually made something worthy of the legendary Zelda title and worthy of being one of their flagship games, and while the game wasn't terrible it's clear that it didn't live up to my expectations as well as many others. Maybe it didn't live up to Nintendo EAD's expectations either.

In conclusion, I would like to say that no, Skyward Sword is not a bad game. It had many things that I really liked, such as many of the dungeon puzzles and the RPG elements present in the game. However, in the end I was rather disappointed due to the poorly designed and boring areas, the lack-luster controls, and the disappointment after many long, painful years of waiting. I would say that any Zelda fan needs to play this game, and really anyone with a Wii should. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for it. In the end, I have faith in Nintendo and I'm thrilled to see what they do next with Zelda Wii U and 3DS.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
From the comments I've read I think ZD forum goers have been honestly critical of Skyward Sword. Some people enjoy certain aspects, some people dislike others. What one person finds lacking in SS another might enjoy. SS appeals to many in a variety of ways, but at the same time much of it is considered largely unappealing.

To say ZD users "hate" Skyward Sword is a bit of a misnomer. I don't think anyone hates it so much as they find much of it lacking. It is a good game. Even a great one. It certainly has its moments and its considerable drawbacks. SS is far from Nintendo's best, but most of my points go to Nintendo's willingness to be innovative and do things different with SS for better and worse. That's gotta count for something.

We all enjoy Zelda but anyone who has a completely unabashed love for something isn't being honest. Acknowledging Skyward Sword's faults is indication that we care.

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
Well, that's that. Kazumi pretty much summed it up for everyone! I'll make sure to let you all know what I think of the game once I get my hands on it :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I know you said IMO, but there are some problems with the three bolded points. One, TP's sidequests involved nothing but searching for things, while SS's involved actually solving people's troubles (like in MM).

Most of which were searching for things...no seriously, these quests you are talking about are the gratitude crystal quests. You get fifteen from looking for them.

You get five for searching for Kukiel.

You get ten for looking for Orielle

Five for searching for the Party Wheel

Five for looking for the Baby's Rattle

Five for finding the Mogma

Five for finding the Kikwi

Five for finding the Crystal Ball

Five for finding the Beetle

Basically three fourths of the total amount are dedicated to finding things. Well...less finding...more...following a map pretty much (dowsing).

It seemed to me like Nintendo was trying to craft a "dungeon in the overworld" type experience that is found in the 2D Zelda games.

I disagree with a lot of what you said, but this was the perfect way to describe my feeling on the overworld...which I had mixed feelings for.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Most of which were searching for things...no seriously, these quests you are talking about are the gratitude crystal quests. You get fifteen from looking for them.

You get five for searching for Kukiel.

You get ten for looking for Orielle

Five for searching for the Party Wheel

Five for looking for the Baby's Rattle

Five for finding the Mogma

Five for finding the Kikwi

Five for finding the Crystal Ball

Five for finding the Beetle

I understand that, and I would have preferred them to not have the Gratitude Crystals involved, but the fact of the matter is you're only going out into the overworld to find a certain amount of one specific thing. SS actually had us doing tasks for people, which allowed them to actually feel like sidequests.

Basically three fourths of the total amount are dedicated to finding things. Well...less finding...more...following a map pretty much (dowsing).

As I've said [insert extremely high number here] times, dowsing was optional and therefore not required to use to complete anything. If it was FORCED, then you could use this as a valid point. But as things are, you can't.

DarkestLink

As I've said [insert extremely high number here] times, dowsing was optional and therefore not required to use to complete anything. If it was FORCED, then you could use this as a valid point. But as things are, you can't.

Dowsing was "optional" in the same sense that using the scents to find things was "optional". In short, you pretty much had to use it unless you either used a guide or you had some really dumb luck.

You need to stop with this argument over dowsing, it's just silly.

So tell me how you magically knew on your first playthrough exactly where the sacred water Faron was looking for was located. Meanwhile I'll explain how I completed the Shadow Temple on my first playthrough without using the Lense of Truth and how I magically went through Snowpeak without using the Reekfish scent.

Just because you technically aren't forced to use it doesn't mean it's a necessity. Likewise there's also the rupees in Super Paper Mario. Technically speaking, breaking the vault is an option. But denying yourself these options is needless self-challenge to the point of stupidity.

Last edited:

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I really enjoy that game. It's one of my favorites of all time. The only reason I haven't played it recently is that I have finals next week, and I really need to pull my grade up.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Dowsing was "optional" in the same sense that using the scents to find things was "optional". In short, you pretty much had to use it unless you either used a guide or you had some really dumb luck.

You need to stop with this argument over dowsing, it's just silly.

So tell me how you magically knew on your first playthrough exactly where the sacred water Faron was looking for was located. Meanwhile I'll explain how I completed the Shadow Temple on my first playthrough without using the Lense of Truth and how I magically went through Snowpeak without using the Reekfish scent.

Just because you technically aren't forced to use it doesn't mean it's a necessity. Likewise there's also the rupees in Super Paper Mario. Technically speaking, breaking the vault is an option. But denying yourself these options is needless self-challenge to the point of stupidity.

So at first you complain that dowsing makes things too easy, but then you turn around and say that finding the sacred water would have been too hard without it? Remain consistent in your points.

DarkestLink

So at first you complain that dowsing makes things too easy, but then you turn around and say that finding the sacred water would have been too hard without it? Remain consistent in your points.

Did I say that? Well I don't recall, but yeah it does. Following a direct linear map with no problem solving or puzzles to find just about anything in the game is definitely easy. This isn't some Super Guide that cuts you some slack when you are struggling. The game heavily encourages it and sometimes forces it. Not using it isn't the game being challenging, it just means you chose to self challenge yourself. That's like claiming Zelda's hard because you had trouble in them minimalist/3 heart challenge run.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Did I say that? Well I don't recall, but yeah it does. Following a direct linear map with no problem solving or puzzles to find just about anything in the game is definitely easy. This isn't some Super Guide that cuts you some slack when you are struggling. The game heavily encourages it and sometimes forces it. Not using it isn't the game being challenging, it just means you chose to self challenge yourself. That's like claiming Zelda's hard because you had trouble in them minimalist/3 heart challenge run.

What does solving puzzles have to do with the dowsing function?

You also didn't really back yourself up. If you're going to claim dowsing makes things too easy but then turn around and say the game is too hard without it, you're basically contradicting your points of interest.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Skyward Sword was a fantastic step in the right direction for the Zelda series. While I had issues with it, everything from the tighter, more well-designed overworld to the brilliant motion controls felt polished.

I was very concerned before the game was released that it would be another Twilight Princess, but the gameplay stays interesting throughout and even the story is spirited and involved. While there are elements from previous titles I'd like to see brought back to the Zelda series, Skyward Sword is one of my favorite games in the franchise and I know I'm not the only person on ZD who feels that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom