• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who is Your Favorite Fantasy Author?

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I've never read The Dark Tower series but it's on my to-buy list; I imagine it's good. Anything Stephen King writes is good. lol
David Eddings is awesome. I love his books. The Belgariad and the Mallorean series are both fantastic. He's a great writer.
I'm unfamiliar with Mercedes Lackey, so I can't help you there.
I would also suggest:
R.A. Salvatore (The Dark Elf Trilogy is epic; and whole the Legend of Drizzt saga in general is great, and the Cleric Quintet).
Terry Brooks: (The Sword of Shannara Trilogy; one of the best fantasy stories ever written)
David Farland: (The Runelords)
Raymond E. Feist (The Riftwar Cycle)
I hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the recommendations! I will add them to my list :)

My favorite fantasy author is definitely J.K. Rowling; the Harry Potter series is definitely one of the best fantasy series of all-time. I'm really excited for the new adult novel she's writing. I also really like the novels of Rick Riordan. Although his books are aimed at teenagers, they are still great and I enjoy them a lot.

It also seems like a lot of people are saying Tolkien is there favorite. I've never read the Lord of the Rings series, but it looks pretty good and I want to read it sometime.

Writer4God

GeekChic
C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and J.K. Rowling, in no particular order.

I used to think that if Patronuses existed, mine would've been a banana slug.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Phillip Pullman (mainly his dark materials, the rest ain't that good) JK Rowling and of course Tolkien

Philip Pullman for me, hands down. His Dark Materials is my favorite fantasy series and I am still looking for something to read that can top it. It doesn't surprise me to see that not many people have read it here, as it's one of those rare diamonds that splendidly dances outside the limelight, so if you're only checking out the most mainstream titles, you'll probably miss this gem. It's fresh and unique, and especially since I've been a bit sick of regular fantasy lately, it's a great breath of fresh air from that...although that could be because the first world it takes place in is as cold as Narnia. Although I'd say it's more than just fantasy, more a mix of Adventure, High Fantasy, Science Fiction, Theology and Physics. It's headed by a fantastic cast of characters, enriched with among the most powerful characterizations I've ever come across in reading, not to mention that the entire work of it is brilliantly written, something that has tended to impress me over and over again as I've read and reread it. That's probably enough HDM praise though...just know that it's a masterpiece and call it a day.

Other than that, JK Rowling has already been mentioned numerous times, but I loved the Harry Potters so there's no harm in mentioning it again. I haven't read LoTR yet but it seems I'll have to pick it up, aside from the numerous mentions of it in here and general critical acclaim, a lot of Pullman's critics have put HDM beside LoTR making me all the more curious. Currently I'm starting The Gormeghast Trilogy though, which I've heard is another fantasy classic not to be missed.

Philip Pullman for me, hands down. His Dark Materials is my favorite fantasy series and I am still looking for something to read that can top it. It doesn't surprise me to see that not many people have read it here, as it's one of those rare diamonds that splendidly dances outside the limelight, so if you're only checking out the most mainstream titles, you'll probably miss this gem. It's fresh and unique, and especially since I've been a bit sick of regular fantasy lately, it's a great breath of fresh air from that...although that could be because the first world it takes place in is as cold as Narnia. Although I'd say it's more than just fantasy, more a mix of Adventure, High Fantasy, Science Fiction, Theology and Physics. It's headed by a fantastic cast of characters, enriched with among the most powerful characterizations I've ever come across in reading, not to mention that the entire work of it is brilliantly written, something that has tended to impress me over and over again as I've read and reread it. That's probably enough HDM praise though...just know that it's a masterpiece and call it a day.

Other than that, JK Rowling has already been mentioned numerous times, but I loved the Harry Potters so there's no harm in mentioning it again. I haven't read LoTR yet but it seems I'll have to pick it up, aside from the numerous mentions of it in here and general critical acclaim, a lot of Pullman's critics have put HDM beside LoTR making me all the more curious. Currently I'm starting The Gormeghast Trilogy though, which I've heard is another fantasy classic not to be missed.

I also love "His Dark Materials" but wouldn't put it up there with the work of the two author's I selected. The Harry Potter books are enjoyable enough but the story is simple and predictable, the writing is poor and the books, the later ones especially, are packed with filler padding them out to 500+ pages where ~250 or so would do.

Last edited:

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
Do they have to be famous? Cause I write fantasy. Though one of my best friends writes fantasy, and he's newly self-published. He's planning on doing it for a living. His name's Connor Sheridan, but he's not really known yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom