• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Annoyed You Today?

Ashley the Witch

Monster: A word used to discriminate the unknown.
ZD Champion
Yeah my mum last night told me my neurodiversity isn’t real cuz they changed terms. You see I was diagnosed ADD with High Functioning Autism, but since 1994 they have renamed it ADHD Inattentive instead of ADHD Hyperactive. She said the change proves they are just making stuff up.. I reminded her terms have changed in psychology before such as Manic-Depressive is now Bipolar Disorder. That this change is not proof ADHD does not exist..

Frankly I am thrilled they changed it, it took time to explain ADD which is less familiar than ADHD to people, so now I get to just say ADHD.
When I read ADHD Hyperactive, I immediately said, "That is so redundant, ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, so putting Hyperactive at the end is literally pointless." Lmfao.

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
When I read ADHD Hyperactive, I immediately said, "That is so redundant, ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, so putting Hyperactive at the end is literally pointless." Lmfao.
Yeah its kinda odd they did that. They really only needed to do ADHD Inattentive. It really just means I lack the hyperactivity part, I’m a sloth in contrast. XD

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
Not necessarily, there's three types:
  • Predominantly Inattentive Presentation: What used to be called ADD.
  • Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive Presentation: More issues with hyperactivity and impulsive behaviors and emotions, not necessarily inattention.
  • Combined Presentation: You show symptoms of both of the previous presentations.
The most common is ADHD-C, which is what I have, whereas ADHD-PI and ADHD-HI are more rare.

People don't usually think adults and girls and women are hyperactive, so they get diagnosed as ADHD-PI, when really as you grow up, that hyperactivity and impulsivity becomes less outwardly expressed, and more internal.

It typically shows itself as a constantly busy mind, fidgeting/stimming, impulsive emotions, and an inward feeling of always needing to be busy and doing multiple things.

So it's more nuanced and more accurately reflects the data, and reality of the condition.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
Not necessarily, there's three types:
  • Predominantly Inattentive Presentation: What used to be called ADD.
  • Predominantly Hyperactive/Impulsive: More issues with hyperactivity and impulsive behaviors and emotions, not necessarily inattention.
  • Combined Presentation: You show symptoms of both of the previous presentations.
The most common is ADHD-C, which is what I have, whereas ADHD-PI and ADHD-HI are more rare.

People don't usually think adults and girls and women are hyperactive, so they get diagnosed as ADHD-PI, when really as you grow up, that hyperactivity and impulsivity becomes less outwardly expressed, and more internal.

It typically shows itself as a constantly busy mind, fidgeting/stimming, impulsive emotions, and an inward feeling of always needing to be busy and doing multiple things.

So it's more nuanced and more accurately reflects the data, and reality of the condition.
So I have ADHD PI? Since mine was ADD.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
So I have ADHD PI? Since mine was ADD.
Yep.

It's characterized by being more distracted, daydreaming constantly, losing items you need for tasks, and their executive functioning issues are more issues with working memory, planning, time blindness, and such.

Colloquially, they're called "space cadets" or you "have your head in the clouds."

But, they don't tend to have issues with hyperactive or impulsive behavior, or impulsive emotions.

ADHD-HI is like the inverse. Their issues stem from them being always on the go, constantly distracted by novelty, not stopping and thinking about what they're doing, impulsivity, and they tend to be hot-headed. Their executive functioning issues are moreso in the ones with impulsivity and emotional control.

I like to call this the "squirrel presentation, " or the "shiny presentation."

ADHD-C is a combo of the two. You're both a space cadet and distracted by shiny things as well as hot-headed.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
Yep.

It's characterized by being more distracted, daydreaming constantly, losing items you need for tasks, and their executive functioning issues are more issues with working memory, planning, time blindness, and such.

Colloquially, they're called "space cadets" or you "have your head in the clouds."

But, they don't tend to have issues with hyperactive or impulsive behavior, or impulsive emotions.

ADHD-HI is like the inverse. Their issues stem from them being always on the go, constantly distracted by novelty, not stopping and thinking about what they're doing, impulsivity, and they tend to be hot-headed. Their executive functioning issues are moreso in the ones with impulsivity and emotional control.

ADHD-C is a combo of the two.
So I am the red shirt from Star Trek.. I knew it. XD

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
Embrace the Nothing Box.
sauron-lord-of-the-rings.gif

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
Tried reading Steel Ball Run today, remembered why I hate fan translations. What is taking viz media to translate Jojo so long?? It's been like forever

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom