• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Was Majora's Mask Hard for You?

Austin

Austin
If you don't use a guide to find all of the masks, then it can be somewhat difficult. However, if we're speaking strictly in terms of gameplay, I didn't find it too difficult. It wasn't exactly easy, but I never found myself wondering if I'd actually be able to get past a certain challenge, or even using that many fairies.

The thing about Majora's Mask is that it assumes the player has gone through another 3D Zelda game before; there's no "beginner's temple", such as the ones found in the beginning of most of the other console Zelda titles where the puzzles are brainless and the boss can be beaten without really trying. Majora's Mask shoves you right in the middle of the came without necessarily giving you the time to prepare yourself. Those that have played other Zelda titles won't likely notice a difference, but if it's their first Zelda game they'll likely encounter some serious difficulty, and the rest of the series will seem easily by comparison.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
My first time playing through, it was pretty frusterating. I commonly had to reset time and the dungeons always gave me a hard time. It was hard for me to beat in terms of puzzles the first time playing through, although the enemies were way too easy since I had Tatl to scan them for me and find out what I needed to do to kill them.

I haven't played Majora's Mask in a REALLY long time, might be going a couple of years now. The first time I played it, it was pretty difficult. I was so used to Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Wind Waker, that this game seemed really different. Even now, when I look at it, the structure of the dungeons seems drastically different than in other Zelda games. I don't know if it's just the larger rooms, the larger atmosphere, where the dungeons are located.....I don't know. But something about them was different, and it really threw me off when playing it.

Even more off-putting was the time limit. First time I played it, and many times after, I had no idea about the Inverted Song of Time, or the Song of Double Time. Each time I played, I went through it at regular speed, and trying to figure out what I"m doing, where I'm going, and how to beat each area, got really frustrating after a while. I spent days on each area, trying to mad rush through it, and somehow I'd still end up at the end of the dungeon, and run out of time. Back then I had no Majora's Mask guide, and I never even thought to use the internet, so I had a hard time.

I've honestly never made it past the 3rd dungeon in the game. As usual, what goes my lack of playing through the main plot of the game, I lack having ever played through....really any sidequest the game had to offer. I did what I had to, I never bother with Anju and Kafei, or the masks, or anything. That, alone, would probably have angered me more than the plot itself, even now, with a guide, it seems like the sidequests in Wind Waker, long, difficult, and traveling to many different places I don't really care to go.

Thinking about it ever now and then, something just puts me off about playing the game. I'm sure with my older age and more experinced skill, I could make it through the game fairly easy, but I'll never be completely sure until I play again sometime off in the future.

This is my favorite game of the series, BUT i had a lot of trouble with it at first. I played it at a hotel when it first came out and i literally couldn't get past the first mini-dungeon before clock town. The second time I played it was right after TP came out I aquired the disc that had LoZ, AoL, OOT, and MM on it just so I could give it a second try. I played through the whole game but I died several times on Gyorg and had trouble with Snowpeak. Now I am so good at the game I can beat it (100%) in four cycles (including the first one where you are a scrub the whole time). I laugh at myself every time I think of my first attempt at that game.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I too on my very 1st time playing through MM though it was easy(11 or 12) although I had difficulty on Great Bay and Stone Tower(Just with navigating around them) and Gyorg and Twinmold were easy because I used Chateau Romani Milk on them.

Twilight

Storming Twilight
MM wasn't really hard for me. I got used with it when I was 10.
And all of its puzzles, so it's not really hard for me now.
A problem is OOT. You see, MM's Stone Temple was hard, but fun. OOT's Water Temple was EXTRA hard, and terribly hard(on MY opinion).

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
In terms of puzzles, I actually found the game incredibly simple. The puzzles required thought but were not exactly rocket science. I found this game extremely difficult simply because it's very hard to figure out where to go next once you get past Snowhead. It took me FOREVER to get Epona, and the only reason I got her was because of the walkthrough. The Anju and Kafei sidequest was also absolutely ridiculous. It wasn't the puzzles or enemies (though Gyorg was quite challenging), but rather the simple knowing where to go next that was tricky. If only the Garo were everywhere rather than just Ikana Canyon...

Idid find it very hard.
Stone tower was the hardest level for me.
But to get everything without any guides would be hard indeed.

I have never used a walkthrough for any game.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Majora's Mask is easy in terms of gameplay, but hard in terms of extra stuff like side-quests.

Majora's Mask isn't too hard. I myself only played Ocarina of Time before playing Majora's Mask, and, while at first it seemed very difficult, I found there is enough time to reach and beat temples without entering in panic. The Woodfall Temple I've beaten in two days (both in real life and in the game), the Snowhead Temple in a little more time. Those two temples have simple puzzles and are easy if Majora's Mask isn't your first game, although the Great Bay Temple and the Stone Tower Temple are harder than the first two dungeons in the game. Although I've only found a challenge in the Stone Tower Temple, as the Great Bay Temple was very easy for me, dissapointing me. I definitely still think the Water Temple is harder, even if it doesn't have Stray Fairies.

Figuring out how to enter a temple is also kind of hard, sometimes even harder than most of the temples itself (of course, I'm saying this subjectively). There are a lot of things to do before entering a temple, especially to enter the last ones. Trying to collect the seven eggs to enter the Great Bay Temple almost had the same difficulty as the temple itself, and it would have been harder if I hadn't used the Stone Mask (which in the Great Bay Temple is useless). Entering Snowhead Temple also was a pain to me, as you had to doa bunch of things which were hard to figure out.

As for the side-quests, I must admit I haven't cared to win the game 100%, although I have collected some masks, pieces of heart and bottles (and some Stary Fairis), and I must admit it is very hard to complete the game 100%, as it is even hard to figure out how to start a side-quest (in terms of where and when, like when you have to hit Skano the Thief to retrieve the bag of bombs to the old lady, or when you talk to Kamaro). Mini-games are also extremely hard, and collecting the Stary Fairies and accomplishig certain things (like giving paper to the guy in the bathroom of the Inn) makes collecting items much more difficult, mostly because of the lack of dungeons and the Expansion Pak.

So, in terms of gameplay, Majora's Mask is easy-medium [almost medium] (in case Majora's Mask isn't your first Zelda game), and, in terms of extra stuff, it's extremely hard, making the game a medium-hard game (if combining gameplay and extra stuff elements).

P.S. Just want to remember my post is highly subjective.

I found it incredibly difficult initially, tho I got it at age 11. It took me days to figure out how to even get back to human Link form, so I pretty much had to do the walkthough of the entire game, but even with that, it was still hard as ****. Same with the other Zeldas I've played. Nonetheless, I found TP incredibly easy to the point of lameness.

P

PiKn1ght314

Majora's Mask was moderately hard for me. Though there were some parts that I found very easy, but many parts got me stuck or made me think, "So, um, what now?". I had to use the guide many times, and yet some places left me clueless. The puzzles were sometimes frustrating for me after many repetitive tries. The bosses were pretty easy (except Gyorg, my mortal enemy), and many of the side quests were easy too. Except the Anju & Kafei quest (horrible thing to try to figure out) and getting all the Stray Fairies.

MrLuigi

Theorist
Woodfall-Easy
Snowhead-Easy
Great Bay Temple-VERY Easy
Stone Tower-Hell on Earth.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Okay, NOW I've beaten MM. The game all together I'd say was a bit harder than OoT, as for the dungeons:
Woodfall: Easy
Snowhead: Somewhat Easy
Great Bay: More confusing than the previous 2
Stone Tower: HOLY COW THAT WAS HARD!

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
When it came out (when I was 10) it seemed kinda hard. Now it's fairly easy. Much more challenging than OoT, however. There are still certain parts of the game that trip me up (especially certain quests).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom