• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Staff and User Rankings

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
But either way, you can't deny that the clutter of ranks is not aesthetically pleasing. Sydney, I like your idea about the little badges. Kitsu and I looked into how this would look and in practice, it looks like it would look fine. I thought of having a big rank for Member, Mod, Admin and CC, and badges for everything else. What do you think about that idea?
You've caught my interest, but what would it look like in the postbit?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I don't understand or condone that mentality. Do you think Kitsu and myself help the site in the ways we do because we want the Admin rank? If so, why would we do things independently that don't need to happen (for example, when we created an ignore feature in the old chatbox). Why wouldn't we just do the bare minimum? Why did Kitsu help out before receiving the rank? People should do things because they want to help and receive the rank as a reward.

But either way, you can't deny that the clutter of ranks is not aesthetically pleasing. Sydney, I like your idea about the little badges. Kitsu and I looked into how this would look and in practice, it looks like it would look fine. I thought of having a big rank for Member, Mod, Admin and CC, and badges for everything else. What do you think about that idea?
I can deny it because looking "cluttered" and even the word "clutter" is an opinion you can't impose on other people as a fact. The color argument makes as little sense here as it has every other time it's been used. The solution to colors being exclusive... is to make them MORE exclusive. It's illogical. Making colors easier to get should be the answer to perceiving them as exclusive. It's absolutely insane to think making them harder to get will make them less exclusive and less meaningful. It's insane troll logic. The colors existed for a reason. And the banners existed for a reason. They were incentives. All of these "clutter" ranks were incentives. Meant to encourage activity in various areas. Incentives are a good thing. Not liking how the banners look is not a valid reason to removing them. If it bothers you that badly, propose a redesign. But DO NOT use finding them aesthetically displeasing as a legitimate reason to remove them. That is not a rational reason to do it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
You've caught my interest, but what would it look like in the postbit?

Something like this (except not drawn by me and Kitsu and put together in paint, and imagine they are all different badges)

5dce872281.jpg

I can deny it because looking "cluttered" and even the word "clutter" is an opinion you can't impose on other people as a fact. The color argument makes as little sense here as it has every other time it's been used. The solution to colors being exclusive... is to make them MORE exclusive. It's illogical. Making colors easier to get should be the answer to perceiving them as exclusive. It's absolutely insane to think making them harder to get will make them less exclusive and less meaningful. It's insane troll logic. The colors existed for a reason. And the banners existed for a reason. They were incentives. All of these "clutter" ranks were incentives. Meant to encourage activity in various areas. Incentives are a good thing. Not liking how the banners look is not a valid reason to removing them. If it bothers you that badly, propose a redesign. But DO NOT use finding them aesthetically displeasing as a legitimate reason to remove them. That is not a rational reason to do it.

I didn't remove WS. I did propose a redesign in that very post you commented on. I also have no issue with colors being exclusive, but I'd like them to denote user rank (black = Member, Red = Admin, Blue = Mod, Whatever = CC), and that's it.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Something like this (except not drawn by me and Kitsu and put together in paint, and imagine they are all different badges)

5dce872281.jpg
It was unclear what you meant without the picture. The only difference here is how they look. AS far as how they're used there'd be no change. Again, not liking how it looks is not reason to remove them. If we use a design like that, there'd be little reason to remove any of them. And there'd be more reason to add a few more.

I didn't remove WS. I did propose a redesign in that very post you commented on. I also have no issue with colors being exclusive, but I'd like them to denote user rank (black = Member, Red = Admin, Blue = Mod, Whatever = CC), and that's it.
Colors being exclusive was a major reason this was done. Whether or not it was personally a reason for you. I do think the colors should be added back for all of these no matter how they're going to visually look on the display by the user's name. It's an extra incentive and adding plenty of colors will help defuse the specialness of colors and help people feel more equal.

Don't people join to have fun? Why do you need incentives to be a part of a community and do what you enjoy?

Because contributing to the mainsite, the social pages, the media sites, or the wiki is a JOB, not something explicitly fun for everyone. It is hard work and there needs to be incentives. It's not like the forum itself were anything below moderating levels is just fun.

Jamie

Kitsu removed the WS rank because he thought it was pointless, not because of the color. He did tell me he was removing it and he explained to me his reasoning, I actually did not want to touch on colored ranks at first (as you could see I did not do so in my own thread), because I thought it was a more difficult subject. Colors for ranks like WS, AW, HK, HN... It just seems silly to me is all, but of course I won't straight up remove that without getting the opinion of the community first.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Kitsu removed the WS rank because he thought it was pointless, not because of the color. He did tell me he was removing it and he explained to me his reasoning, I actually did not want to touch on colored ranks at first (as you could see I did not do so in my own thread), because I thought it was a more difficult subject. Colors for ranks like WS, AW, HK, HN... It just seems silly to me is all, but of course I won't straight up remove that without getting the opinion of the community first.

Removing a rank is not something one person can just decide. It's a big decision that can't be made on a whim. None of the people involved in it were consulted and it's damaged our ability to recruit editors.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Removing a rank is not something one person can just decide. It's a big decision that can't be made on a whim. None of the people involved in it were consulted and it's damaged our ability to recruit editors.

Remember when everybody decided HK should be removed and it never happened?

Jamie

I'm not here to argue about that. I was just explaining his reasoning had nothing to do with colors.

Remember when everybody decided HK should be removed and it never happened?

We've actually thoroughly discussed this in the staff chat following the WS removal, as Kitsu brought up a similar point. Essentially, the staff at the time made a collective decision and did not inform the community of it. I apologize for this, but I was not in the chat at the time so I unfortunately had no influence. The decision was to wait and see if the rank improves with the new system.

Djinn

and Tonic
So an idea that is being tossed around with the icons, I agree there is a lot of banners and the amount that stack up on accounts is getting ridiculous over the last year.

The current suggestion kicking around is lowering the banners one has down to 3 or 4. That would be Member, Forum Staff, Site Staff, Volunteer. Then have a small icon directly beneath the tag that signifies what division they are. So we would have something like

~Member~
HK/HN/

~Forum Staff~
Admin/Mod/Coordinator/Event

~Site Staff~
news/articles/wiki/webmaster

~Volunteer~
Competitions/editor/shop keeper

Now the look, format, or type, even the basic design of the icons are up in the air and we are open to suggestion of what they should be or look like. But this is all just a wild idea dreamed up today so... Any aspect of this can change as well.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
To say i'm not disappointed would be untruthful but i'm much too old to go to war over a piece of digital ribbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom