• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Staff and User Rankings

Garo

Boy Wonder
I think Wiki Scribe should remain a colored rank. The whole idea of the rank is to provide an incentive for dedicated Wiki editors. It's a minor carrot, but I don't really see what's wrong about providing that carrot. Awards aren't sufficient because quite frankly I never notice awards myself, and they just aren't significant enough to be effective incentives. Maybe Wiki Contributor could be an award, but Wiki Scribe should remain a lovely pink.

I agree, although I wanted to avoid the big bru ha ha.

What would you guys think about making the WS rank colorless, or turning it into an award?

Also, ranks shouldn't be incentive to do anything. If you are only doing your job for a rank, well, I have a personal issue with that.

The banner should stay at the very least. I still think being able to identify Scribes is extremely important; it's more than an honorary title. If not, a sticky can be posted in the Wiki subforum listing all scribes.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Most of us were already under the assumption that it would become colorless.

The only issue is this still does little to remove clutter. I know this will never happen given that I would like to follow the opinions of the community, but my vision has always been one rank for a person. Member, Admin, CC, or Mod. I will like to point out that I had nothing to do with the decision to remove the WS rank, but that I personally think the rank is silly and pointless. As is Article Editor, Article Writer, Site Staff, Webmaster, Event Staff, Competition Leader. Making the rank colorless still keeps the issue with the clutter in tact. How would you feel about receiving an award for your contributions?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm against the Wiki Scribe removal, not sure why it was removed without a warning.

Anyway, this thread should be taken into consideration. This removal was discussed and the general consensus was that it should stay but possibly be colorless. However, I have no problem with it having a colour, I'm all for quick identification.

Jamie

The banners under people's names look gross and messy to me. As a web developer, I cannot condone the practice of having a clutter of silly looking banners under the usernames of everyone, it's not aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The only issue is this still does little to remove clutter. I know this will never happen given that I would like to follow the opinions of the community, but my vision has always been one rank for a person. Member, Admin, CC, or Mod. I will like to point out that I had nothing to do with the decision to remove the WS rank, but that I personally think the rank is silly and pointless. As is Article Editor, Article Writer, Site Staff, Webmaster, Event Staff, Competition Leader. Making the rank colorless still keeps the issue with the clutter in tact. How would you feel about receiving an award for your contributions?
Frankly you have had nothing to do with the wiki. You don't understand the reasons for it or the need for it. If an award would have worked we'd have done it. But that would HURT us, not help. An award would encourage short bursts of activity that would instantly die the second they got it. That's not what we want. That is a burden on us, not a benefit. The banner, and yes the color, is something has to be maintained. It encourages long term commitments to contributing. It's something we desperately need. And I really don't think it's the right of people not involved the in wiki to declare it to be "useless clutter" when it was serving a very vital function we required.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan

You mean an award that Wiki Contributors never received?

Jamie

I'm not sure why I am being attacked or blamed for anything, as I have been extremely inactive the last week or so due to personal issues. I not only was not part of the decision of the removal of Wiki Scribe, but in the part about Wiki Contributor I didn't even know it was removed until you guys did.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I'm against the Wiki Scribe removal, not sure why it was removed without a warning.

Anyway, this thread should be taken into consideration. This removal was discussed and the general consensus was that it should stay but possibly be colorless. However, I have no problem with it having a colour, I'm all for quick identification.
From what I understand, the majority of people wish for the removal of userranks such as Wiki Scribe and Hylian Nobles. If the majority of people wish for something to be removed, it should be and the decision should remain uncontested because the majority rule.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm not sure why I am being attacked or blamed for anything, as I have been extremely inactive the last week or so due to personal issues. I not only was not part of the decision of the removal of Wiki Scribe, but in the part about Wiki Contributor I didn't even know it was removed until you guys did.
Because you are defending the decision and you are defending the label of "clutter" to justify it. If you don't want to be involved, then don't defend it like that.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
From what I understand, the majority of people wish for the removal of userranks such as Wiki Scribe and Hylian Nobles. If the majority of people wish for something to be removed, it should be and the decision should remain uncontested because the majority rule.
That was the Hylian Knights, and I still think the poll shoul be considered in its removal, but that's not my decision to make.

Jamie

Because you are defending the decision and you are defending the label of "clutter" to justify it. If you don't want to be involved, then don't defend it like that.

I do want to be involved, but not blamed. I think it was unfair that the decision was made without discussing it with anyone, but if there were discussion, I'd agree with its removal. It looks aesthetically awful, and the idea that people are only contributing to the wiki for a rank makes me a little sick to my stomach. Shouldn't you be against that kind of behavior?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I do want to be involved, but not blamed. I think it was unfair that the decision was made without discussing it with anyone, but if there were discussion, I'd agree with its removal. It looks aesthetically awful, and the idea that people are only contributing to the wiki for a rank makes me a little sick to my stomach. Shouldn't you be against that kind of behavior?
Considering it was my idea, no. I don't. And I'm kind of puzzled at the idea of an award being a viable idea because that's worse. Earn it once and then stop. If they're contributing long term, who cares about their motives? Maybe someone who just initially wanted the banner ends up loving the work there. It's an incentive. That's what incentives are for. They give you a reason to want to do something. And I don't have a problem with awarding a banner to people who help out. We need that desperately. It takes a lot of people to keep expanding a wiki and we're running low because no one is joining. We need incentives. It's that simple. This shouldn't have been done without consulting us.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan

Not at all, in fact that's how we got most of the scribes (including myself, quite frankly). The general idea was that after a certain number of edits, you could get the WC rank, but if you continued making good, frequent edits then you'd be rewarded with the WS rank. People have the ability to get WC and then just stop, as no one to my knowledge has been demoted from WC. The WS rank is for people who went above and beyond what was (I guess) required of them as a WC.

No one edits the Wiki for fun, let me tell you.

Jamie

I don't understand or condone that mentality. Do you think Kitsu and myself help the site in the ways we do because we want the Admin rank? If so, why would we do things independently that don't need to happen (for example, when we created an ignore feature in the old chatbox). Why wouldn't we just do the bare minimum? Why did Kitsu help out before receiving the rank? People should do things because they want to help and receive the rank as a reward.

But either way, you can't deny that the clutter of ranks is not aesthetically pleasing. Sydney, I like your idea about the little badges. Kitsu and I looked into how this would look and in practice, it looks like it would look fine. I thought of having a big rank for Member, Mod, Admin and CC, and badges for everything else. What do you think about that idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom