• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony Is Clearly Dying for Zelda

While I agree with the rest of your post, 3D Dot Game Heroes is a PS3 exclusive for a reason. While it is not developed or published by sony, it still has an exclusivity deal with them, so sony DOES have some involvement.
Involvement, perhaps. But they're not responsible for the game like so many people seem to be claiming. Even if you were to say that makes them responsible, I can guaranty you that even Nintendo wouldn't care if the game they sponsored copied off another game. It's the fault of the developer, not the company. If you're even assuming that their intentions are sinister.

Thanks for pointing that out, by the way. I did not know that. ^^ I just don't feel it effects things much.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Bah. It's a complete and total ripoff, and the developers should be ashamed of themselves. Sony should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it to be released on their console. But then again, Sony usually copies everything. Lookie their newfangled remote *rolls eyes*

Paying homage is one thing, but really, this is a huge ripoff. Darksiders was a huge ripoff, too. It was "Angry Zelda". Though it borrowed elements from GoW, Zelda, and Portal. It was just a mishmash of games with a transformer-built guy with a head the size of a grape. Paying homage is great, but... when you're practically cloning one or more games, it's then you should be ashamed.

I

Indigo_dingo

Okay, you do understand the concept of a parody, right? I mean look at the thing. They based an entire game mechanic around mocking the constant phallic imagery between Link and a sword (Oh don't act like you haven't thought it "You feel it throbbing in your hands"). They took the idea of a created name to the end extremes by having the legendary hero be Santa Claus (among others). They even did the Cuckoos thing right at the "greatest hero" line.

This is what parody is. Its how its always been. Did George Lucas try and pursue legal action against Mel Brooks for Spaceballs? No, he laughed his *** off.

Plus, and I really do think you should feel a lot of shame for someone having to explain this to you, if they were ripping it off, it would be the 3D games, not the 2D ones, because standard game design of today makes it irrelevant for anything other than, well, this. Its not 1993, something like this is gonna stick out. So the devs weren't exactly trying to hide it.

P.s Why the heck was Darksiders suddenly Sony ripping off Zelda, when the game was also ripping off Sony taking things hand over fist from God of War? Doesn't that make them just as much the victim?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Indigo_dingo

Also, a lot of you keep forgetting one thing - you're acting as if, if Sony were making a ripoff of Zelda, they'd do it like this.

Although I think using the term ripoff is a huge insult to it, if you think back to the last time Sony made a game with similarities to Legend of Zelda, remember what happened?

shadow_of_the_co&#108.jpg

The greatest game ever made, and the single strongest and most pure proof of gaming as a true, full and moving artistic medium, happened.

So watch the accusations of derivative.

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
Wow...lego zelda!!! No duh this is a ripoff of zelda...

But really, I don't see what you guys have such a problem with ... I think that if it looks like a Zelda game, smells like a Zelda game, tastes like a Zelda game, ect., why not just consider it a Zelda game?

Oh yeah, Skull Kid was right. This is a third party developer, not Sony. That totally destroys the point.

T

TheLastLink

in my opinion, this is a complete ripoff.
Sure this game might be "Paying homage" to Zelda,
but it does this by completely copying it.

Six sages
six orbs (Medallions)
tektites
death mountain and boulders
sacred blade
"Apple" containers
boomerang
cucco revenge squad
pegasus boots

..and more. just my two cents.
and did anybody notice mario? at 1: 39. (At least i think that's mario..)

Kazumi

chagy
I'm probably fairly late coming to this thread, but I fail to see where Sony ever stated, showed, hinted to, or anything else, that they wanted Zelda. Never once have I seen a game that matches Zelda. Many games have different elements of Zelda, because Zelda is made up of many different game genres.

3D Block heroes is not ripping off Zelda. Sure, it may have borrowed some designs, but Zelda has borrowed designs as well. I'll admit the Cucoo thing is pretty close to Zelda, but it seems obvious to me that it was more of an easter egg kind of thing than blatant ripping off. In fact, Nintendo fans really make me sick when it comes to things like this. While Microsoft and Sony fans yell incoherent insults at each other, Nintendo fans usually just sit back. But if they get attacked, or even indirectly angered, they are all of a sudden ten times worse then the other fans.

And it's really sickening me how people are bashing 3D Block Heroes, Darksiders, and God of War. They are perfectly good games, that may share some similarities with Zelda. Zelda shares similarities with other games as well. It's no big deal. And I'm almost positive that the Sony rep, or president for that matter has his head way to far up his *** to want any Nintendo franchises. But that's just me.

So, no. Sony is not clearly dying for Zelda.

Austin

Austin
And I would suppose the real question is... Does it really matter?
I agree with this. Even if you do believe that the game is a carbon copy of Zelda, what difference does it make? If you're throughly disgusted with Sony, that's all well and good, but I don't see how complaining about it will do anything. Also, isn't it a good thing if it's like Zelda? Given that the vast majority of the people here like Zelda, why wouldn't we want to play a game like it? If I had a PS3 I'd go out and get this in a second. I don't understand supporting one console over another. I just like games, plain and simple.

Beyond this (and this may have been said before, I don't have the patience to check the entire thread), all we've seen of the game are trailers. The actual game hasn't been released yet. Therefore, any assumptions we're making are just that, assumptions. Until one of us picks up the game, we can't say for sure just what it's like.

I agree with this. Even if you do believe that the game is a carbon copy of Zelda, what difference does it make? If you're throughly disgusted with Sony, that's all well and good, but I don't see how complaining about it will do anything. Also, isn't it a good thing if it's like Zelda? Given that the vast majority of the people here like Zelda, why wouldn't we want to play a game like it? If I had a PS3 I'd go out and get this in a second. I don't understand supporting one console over another. I just like games, plain and simple.

Beyond this (and this may have been said before, I don't have the patience to check the entire thread), all we've seen of the game are trailers. The actual game hasn't been released yet. Therefore, any assumptions we're making are just that, assumptions. Until one of us picks up the game, we can't say for sure just what it's like.

Plus you could just... not play it, and let those who enjoy it... enjoy it?

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
It looks really cool. I hope one of the games in that series comes out for PSP. Also, it looks nothing like Zelda. Yes, there is the "death mountain" and the castle, but they're all made of dots. Just because it uses ideas from Zelda doesn't make it a ripoff. It's like saying Okami is a ripoff of Zelda when it only shares Zelda's gameplay and has totally unique graphics (kind of like 3D Dot Hero.)

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
It looks really cool. I hope one of the games in that series comes out for PSP. Also, it looks nothing like Zelda. Yes, there is the "death mountain" and the castle, but they're all made of dots. Just because it uses ideas from Zelda doesn't make it a ripoff. It's like saying Okami is a ripoff of Zelda when it only shares Zelda's gameplay and has totally unique graphics (kind of like 3D Dot Hero.)

So you're saying that this game is not a ripp-off to Zelda because it has 3D Dots while Zelda didn't? Have you read all the previous posts on this thread?

I

Indigo_dingo

And it's really sickening me how people are bashing 3D Block Heroes, Darksiders, and God of War. They are perfectly good games, that may share some similarities with Zelda.
Wait, what? How the hell does God of War share similarities Zelda? In one you're a man in a dress swinging a weapon forged by the gods using magic and fighting great monsters, and the other is Zelda. But anyway, theres really no common elements between the two beyond a vague fantasy storyline, and even then Kratos is doing it so he can cause the end of the world, not prevent it.

I

Indigo_dingo

So you're saying that this game is not a ripp-off to Zelda because it has 3D Dots while Zelda didn't? Have you read all the previous posts on this thread?
Have you? Particularly the ones about it being a parody?

I don't really see this as a parody. A parody is usually with the intent of poking fun at something, this is more of an homage if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom