• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword has too much crying in it

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Someday, you'll know that emotion is one of the most wonderful things a person can experience. People don't ride rollercoasters if there is no up or down.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Stuckward Swart was trying way too hard to be "OMG tehFEELz!!" The brilliance and subtlety of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's emotional resonance was replaced by an incessant barrage of in-your-face crying scenes with standard cheap emotionally manipulative sadmusic. Like the cheesiest day time soap opera. Ninty lost all subtlety with SS in every conceivable way, not just in the emotional tone of the story.

Ninty thought they were making such an artsy cinematic masterpiece when all they were doing was irritating people with a bunch of soppy whiny characters. There's a reason people get awkward in the presence of somebody having an emotional breakdown. Human beings view overt displays of emotional as a sign of weakness. Nature dictates that when faced with a survival situation, getting emotional will get you killed. So it stands to reason that people would be naturally averse to it. It demonstrates that a person is incapable. In fiction and literature this means we view schmaltzy campy displays of emotion as silly or contrite. This is why the Twilight novels are so heavily derided, because they're nothing more than 100+ pages of witless overly emotional teens whining and fretting over trivialities.

Suckwart reads an awful lot like a Twilight novel in that respect.

Stuckward Swart was trying way too hard to be "OMG tehFEELz!!" The brilliance and subtlety of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's emotional resonance was replaced by an incessant barrage of in-your-face crying scenes with standard cheap emotionally manipulative sadmusic. Like the cheesiest day time soap opera. Ninty lost all subtlety with SS in every conceivable way, not just in the emotional tone of the story.

Ninty thought they were making such an artsy cinematic masterpiece when all they were doing was irritating people with a bunch of soppy whiny characters. There's a reason people get awkward in the presence of somebody having an emotional breakdown. Human beings view overt displays of emotional as a sign of weakness. Nature dictates that when faced with a survival situation, getting emotional will get you killed. So it stands to reason that people would be naturally averse to it. It demonstrates that a person is incapable. In fiction and literature this means we view schmaltzy campy displays of emotion as silly or contrite. This is why the Twilight novels are so heavily derided, because they're nothing more than 100+ pages of witless overly emotional teens whining and fretting over trivialities.

Suckwart reads an awful lot like a Twilight novel in that respect.

You summed up my feelings for this story pretty well. I can't believe the makers of a critically acclaimed franchise would make something as soap opera-ish as this. Nearly all of the kid characters were whiny crybabies and Link may not whine as much as them, he may only cried a little, but he is just a lovey-dovey love interest character. It's like the Metroid: Other M of Zelda games. @Azure Sage seemed to have misunderstood what I was talking about with the emotions. Games like MM and OOT may have been dark and sad but they hardly ever shown anyone crying if I am correct. Skyward Sword is just crying throughout the whole thing and that's the difference. It had a happy ending but it still was soap opera-ish and they put too much emotion in the ending anyway.

If SS was a horror film, it may be okay for it to have about five crying scenes, and if SS was a 26-episode T.V. series with the characters all grown up, it might not be that bad for them to cry this many times but I still don't know about zelda crying tears of joy, I might still be confused about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom