• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic OH-carina or OK-arina?

Tak

Game Over
I've seen different people from different places pronounce it differently, but I pronounce it OH-CAR-EE-NA.
My friend says OCAR-NA, which I don't hear too often.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I've been pronouncing it as Oh-ker-rina. I used to pronounce it Ah-kah-rina, but then I just didn't think that sounded right so I got used to the other way.

cmeks

A lonely wanderer
ive always said oh-carina and i get yelled at for the wrong pronunciation by my parents and little brother. Then they pull up a dictionary definition and it showed ok-arina as the pronunciation but i still call it oh-carina

W

wintage gaming

"OCK-UH-REE-NUH is the correct one.

Remember, this is not a made up word or term. Ocarinas are real instruments. If you want to hear it for yourself, then listen to the audio pronunciation on a dictionary website that has that feature."-Axle the Best

That is true.
However, Nintendo repeatedly pronounces it Oh-carina during press conferences.
Remember that Zelda is fictional and a word could pronounced differently in a fictional world.
I've always pronounced it Oh-carina.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Yep. Definetly O -ka- rin-na. Though Hylians could pronouce it differnt. But I think it is pronouced how we pronouce it.

"OCK-UH-REE-NUH is the correct one.

Remember, this is not a made up word or term. Ocarinas are real instruments. If you want to hear it for yourself, then listen to the audio pronunciation on a dictionary website that has that feature."-Axle the Best

That is true.
However, Nintendo repeatedly pronounces it Oh-carina during press conferences.
Remember that Zelda is fictional and a word could pronounced differently in a fictional world.
I've always pronounced it Oh-carina.

I agree with Wintage. If you notice, Nintendo seems to change the pronunciation of things that are in real existence every now and then. Another example would be "sheik". In the real world, pronounced as shayk; in the Super Smash Bros. series, it is noticable that it is pronounced as sheek in Nintendo's eyes. Why it is done, I am not sure, but Nintendo does say it as Oh-carina of Time. Perhaps it is due to Eiji Aunoma and Shigeru Miyamoto being bilingual, speaking both Japanese and English, they may stumble over some words every so often.

Last edited:

Kybyrian

Perhaps it is due to Eiji Aunoma and Shigeru Miyamoto being bilingual, speaking both Japanese and English, they may stumble over some words every so often.

This is my theory. We are all aware of people who say many different words differently than they're supposed to be pronounced, and I believe that they do so because they are bilingual and just aren't extremely familiar with the English language. It's easy to mispronounce things, especially when you're speaking a second language.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I've always pronounced it as Oh-kah-REE-nah. I think the other way sounds awkward, but I have heard it pronounced both ways. I think it's one of those words that's carried over from other languages and has the same pronounciation.

Toon_Link

Super Awesome Member
Why does it matter unless if you're a grammar nazi? I pronounce it ok-uh-ree-nuh, but my friend pronounces it as oh-kuh-ree-nuh. Although I've heard the guy that translated for Miyamoto, Aonouma at E3 (that's how you spell Aonouma's name right?) call it oh-kuh-ree-nuh as well, but maybe that's just how it translates. Even though dictionary websites say it's ok-uh-ree-nuh. So, just go with what the dictionary says if you're worried about pronouncing it wrong.

W

Wendygo

(Random side note: Wikipedia tells me that "The word ocarina, in the Bolognese dialect of the Emiliano-Romagnolo language, means 'little goose'." How cute!)

OcarinaLittlegoose.png
:D

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
If your talking about the insterment is AH-carina. But the game is OH-carina

That wouldn't make sense if the game was pronounced 'OH-carina'. Simply because the instrument is used in the game, therefore the game, as well as the instrument, should and officially is pronounced 'OCK-arina'.

In justification to what I am sayin', I pronounce it as 'OCK-arina'.

E

edman1123

I've always pronounced it AH-carina. I guess it all depends on your region and how you pronounce words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom