• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic OH-carina or OK-arina?

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
OCK-UH-REE-NUH is the correct one.

Remember, this is not a made up word or term. Ocarinas are real instruments. If you want to hear it for yourself, then listen to the audio pronunciation on a dictionary website that has that feature. ;)

Here's a video of a duet with a harp and an ocarina .. a song we all will recognize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vtOmGS_BI

The fact his ocarina is blue makes it all the better lol. And of course there are plenty other ocarina songs in the related videos for those who want to hear the real instrument.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I usually say oh-ca-ri-na.
Even though it's the wrong pronunciation, I've been calling it that for years and it's stuck with me. Oh well.

OotLord1003

Young Link
Well I say it is defenetly pronounced as OH-KA-RE-NA
But because I have heard ALOT of people say this way, (and because I think it sounds cooler)
I call it AH-KER-EE-NA.

R

rnddim

I currently pronounce it Ah-kah-ree-nah (English IPA ɑːkɑːriːnɑː). However, since this is a Japanese game, I try to pronounce it like you would in Japanese.
オカリナ
Oh (w/o the h) - kah - ree - nah
IPA: okaɽina (naturally, the ɽ is very hard for an englishman to pronounce. Look up wikipedia on pronunciation of Japanese.)

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I've always pronounced it "Oh-kuh-REE-nuh" but then again I pronounce deku as "doo-kee" which is most likely wrong due to the spelling. My grandpa (yes, he plays Zelda) has pronounced it that way ever since I used to watch him play OoT and MM when I was about 6 so naturally, my whole family and I have pronounced it that way. :P

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've always pronounced it Oak-Arena

I don't really think that there's only one offical way to pronounce it. I mean, there are plenty of words out there with more than one legit way to say it - words like Produce, Millitary and Lieutenant. It just depends on where you are and how you were taught the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom