• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Well yeah whatever just saying why reward something pointless? yeah I mean all you get is useless internet points but still why get anything

How are you rewarding it? By letting people see how many times they've made a post? Cool, that's what it should be used for. No other forum has problems with people spamming for post counts and they allow mafia and other sections to count.

As of right now I have 491 posts. Do you know how inaccurately that reflects the amount of time I've spent on this site because it doesn't count mafia? You have 209 and joined last year vs me joining in 2016. But I've contributed to this site a ton by playing mafia. Especially in cross over events that helped bring people like Exlight here.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I like how people just called you out for multiple posting in a row and you do that right after. There's an edit feature, please use it.

Well yeah whatever just saying why reward something pointless? yeah I mean all you get is useless internet points but still why get anything
Do you mean the titles? Despite being a bit flawed I feel like they're mainly to reward consistent and active posting. It helps with the forum's activity, and is satisfying to the people have obtain it. It's not pointless.

If you mean the Post Count I don't really get what you mean. Posts aren't points, and I'm sure noone here is defending people that think so.

Gorozoron

wild ride
I like how people just called you out for multiple posting in a row and you do that right after. There's an edit feature, please use it.

Do you mean the titles? Despite being a bit flawed I feel like they're mainly to reward consistent and active posting. It helps with the forum's activity, and is satisfying to the people have obtain it. It's not pointless.

If you mean the Post Count I don't really get what you mean. Posts aren't points, and I'm sure noone here is defending people that think so.
Like the : Can't get enough of your stuff or Can't stop! things
( There I used the edit thing Yeah I added nothing except this doesn't this rock? )

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Anyway regarding post count, even though the counts don't attribute stuff from Mafia, Roleplay, or Forum Games, that doesn't mean the post history isn't available to sift through. You can click "find all content" for yourself or any user and look through their entire post history to get a feel for what content they contribute.

Clicking on a user's post number also brings people to the exact same page which doesn't filter the posts at all.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Anyway regarding post count, even though the counts don't attribute stuff from Mafia, Roleplay, or Forum Games, that doesn't mean the post history isn't available to sift through. You can click "find all content" for yourself or any user and look through their entire post history to get a feel for what content they contribute.

Clicking on a user's post number also brings people to the exact same page which doesn't filter the posts at all.

It's not that people care about the content. My reason is just that I would like to see how many posts I've made overall.
Because my post count as is is not representative of that at all.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's not that people care about the content. My reason is just that I would like to see how many posts I've made overall.
Because my post count as is is not representative of that at all.
I'm wondering if there could be a way to isolate the post numbers from the sections that don't count in the post number listing that could be displayed separately, and then maybe do a combined total listing. I'm not sure if this can be setup though, and how difficult it would be if it can.

Does post count really matter though at the end of the day?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I'm wondering if there could be a way to isolate the post numbers from the sections that don't count in the post number listing that could be displayed separately, and then maybe do a combined total listing. I'm not sure if this can be setup though, and how difficult it would be if it can.

Does post count really matter though at the end of the day?

It doesn't. Which is why arbitrarily limiting which sections count is silly. Haha. But it is nice to see milestones of how much time you've put into the site. Which is about the only use for post counts and at the moment isn't even how it's used.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Those threads technically have an unspoken double posting rule. If you post a song, we typically don't post another song 5 minutes later. It can be somewhat acceptable if there is a gap of a few hours and other people posted after you. Same applies to Things of your Mind.
The rule is not unspoken. It’s under the section marked as “housekeeping”:
Double Posting: Don't post more than once in a row within a thread. If you wish to reply to more than one user, use the "+Quote" button on each post you want to respond to. In the event that you have an afterthought or more to add please edit this into your first post unless another member has made a post since yours. Note: Certain forums allow double posting in some situations, check the sticky forum-specific rule threads for further information.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The rule is not unspoken. It’s under the section marked as “housekeeping”:
I see, I see! Great stuff.

It doesn't. Which is why arbitrarily limiting which sections count is silly. Haha. But it is nice to see milestones of how much time you've put into the site. Which is about the only use for post counts and at the moment isn't even how it's used.
I think I care more about how long I've been here as a milestone than how much I posted.

I think the whole point of restricting certain sections from being counted ultimately falls into a debate on what constitues quality posts over posting just for quantity. The issue herein is that even the posts being accounted for can have questionable quality, honestly, so the whole thing kind of unravels. Is a Roleplay filled with creative writing on par with stuff you'd write for a novel more worthy of being counted than saying, "I'm hungry", in things on your mind?

I see the point you're making, limited post count can be a bit silly because the reasoning itself is flawed. But then it also goes both ways. Is a Roleplay filled with one line rapid fire spam more worthy of being counted over a paragraph of real philosophical questioning in things on your mind?

There is both quality posting and posts that are just pointless inflation of the post number any way we look at it. I think I could be content with the post count option just not being a thing at all, lol. I honestly think it shouldn't matter, the whole point should be to just post and have fun and not even put a thought towards how much we posted.

Just my two cents, but while ZD in the past has had a lot of problems with people posting for the sake of farming a post count, I don't really see that as a prevalent issue anymore due to how message boards have evolved over time. Most sites where people post anymore don't keep a post count at all so it's less within internet culture to be posting for the sake of an arbitrary post count. I think that's reflected in the general attitude here on ZD as well, and us having chill threads for chitchat like toym, people aren't really posting in there for a post count so much as to just chat informally with community members and such. In that sense, I don't really see there being an issue in enabling post counts for these sections currently not being counted, since of course, forum games and mafia are equally interactive with the community in the way many general discussion/chit chat threads are.

I don't really think the numbers matter either way though; I think selective counting for the activity ranks at least is probably fine and makes sense as far as like substantial posting goes, but I don't think its necessarily a forbidden consideration to enable the counts in these other sections. Or as inversely proposed, disabling counts the chitchat boards/threads. Again, it's just numbers; I don't think most people really pay attention to what anyone's post count is anymore for this change to matter all that much, but when you consider the post count as a gauge for community involvement as mentioned a few times above, then I can understand the sentiment that there is an inconsistency in what "community involvement" means.

I'm not really for or against the change, but the attitude about post count isn't necessarily the same as it was when those restrictions were set in place.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Can the deletion of posts in the Life Advice thread be handled differently? There was just a deletion of a lot of posts in a certain topic, and while I agree that some were warranted, others had actual helpful advice and insight to the topic and were only deleted because they were in reply to a certain post. Maybe edit the original post out of any quoted posts, but allow the useful information to stay. I feel like Life Advice is somewhere where it's important that certain things be seen and deleting them just because they were a branch off of an inappropriate post is a bit ridiculous.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Can the deletion of posts in the Life Advice thread be handled differently? There was just a deletion of a lot of posts in a certain topic, and while I agree that some were warranted, others had actual helpful advice and insight to the topic and were only deleted because they were in reply to a certain post. Maybe edit the original post out of any quoted posts, but allow the useful information to stay. I feel like Life Advice is somewhere where it's important that certain things be seen and deleting them just because they were a branch off of an inappropriate post is a bit ridiculous.

Posts that involved debate not relating or responding directly to the OP were removed as the Life Advice isn't a place for that kind of debate between others. Some posts also had points relating directly to the OP and those posts were dealt with by editing out the part from the debate and keeping the part directed to the OP. Please keep in mind the following rule from the life advice rules:

Life Advice Rules said:
4) No Argument or Debates-it's okay to respectfully disagree with someone, but under no circumstances will we allow any kind of argument or debate. Likewise, if you disagree with someone's lifestyle/religion, this is not the place to point that out.

The only substantial posts not directly responding to the post that was removed for breaking the rules were yours and Fraxinus', both of whom I saw had previously given good advice to the OP in the thread anyway. I agree that the posts of yours and Fraxinus were both insightful but I don't think that life advice is the place for that debate, that's more in line with what should be in the mature discussion.

I think Life Advice posts should be concerned with responding directly to the OP and their concerns rather than conversations on moral topics between third parties in the thread.

If you'd like me to send you the wording of your post for future reference you can reach out and let me know.

Last edited:

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Posts that involved debate not relating or responding directly to the OP were removed as the Life Advice isn't a place for that kind of debate between others. Some posts also had points relating directly to the OP and those posts were dealt with by editing out the part from the debate and keeping the part directed to the OP. Please keep in mind the following rule from the life advice rules:

The only substantial posts not directly responding to the post that was removed for breaking the rules were yours and Fraxinus', both of whom I saw had previously given good advice to the OP in the thread anyway. I agree that the posts of yours and Fraxinus were both insightful but I don't think that life advice is the place for that debate, that's more in line with what should be in the mature discussion.

I understand not wanting debate in a Life Advice thread and I get the removal of certain posts. But both mine and Fraxinus' posts were something we mentioned we originally thought about including in our original posts so they were direct replies to the topic. They may have came about in response to a different post, but I don't think they were necessarily a response to that post and meant to debate. Personally I someone seeing the original post which was out of line may feel worse about their situation if they don't see other encouraging posts that may have been prompted by the original (though not just direct dismissal of the original post looking to debate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom