• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Looking into this one the only available addon I can see is here which is quite expensive for the limited functionality it provides. It also doesn't seen to allow anon posting only in certain forums or have a clear indication of just how anonymous posts actually are. From the discussion thread it seems that posts that were supposed to be anonymous didn't come out that way so I am hesitant for all those reasons to go with this option. While I think this could be a good idea it doesn't seem feasible right now with what is available out there unfortunately. While I know this isn't the same and isn't entirely anonymous I think that there shouldn't be a problem posting threads on behalf of another member if someone wants to have a trusted mod or friend post something on their behalf. Obviously this isn't ideal but for now it may be the best solution that can be provided.

I thought of something for this but I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to do. I know for the anonymous mafia game you were able to restrict the accounts to only be able to access the mafia section. I thought maybe something similar could be done with Life Advice, where maybe users could apply to create an alt account that would only have access to the Life Advice section. It would allow other users to also reply anonymously in case their advice contains stuff they wouldn't want to share on their normal accounts. The main issue I see is just the extra amount of accounts that would be created, and then setting up the perms for each one.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I thought of something for this but I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to do. I know for the anonymous mafia game you were able to restrict the accounts to only be able to access the mafia section. I thought maybe something similar could be done with Life Advice, where maybe users could apply to create an alt account that would only have access to the Life Advice section. It would allow other users to also reply anonymously in case their advice contains stuff they wouldn't want to share on their normal accounts. The main issue I see is just the extra amount of accounts that would be created, and then setting up the perms for each one.
A single account with a public password could solve the multiple accounts issue, right?

Although I’m not sure how vulnerable to trolls it would be. Is staff able to identify and ban IPs based on single posts?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
A single account with a public password could solve the multiple accounts issue, right?

Although I’m not sure how vulnerable to trolls it would be. Is staff able to identify and ban IPs based on single posts?

That would get too messy with people trying to post at the same time with different drafts being saved. Especially if people wanted to reply to the thread anonymously. It could be hard to tell the anonymous people apart with just one alt. And the trolling would be a potential issue.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I'd like to take this time that under most law, the minimum age to own accounts on the internet is 13. Do with this information as you please.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
That would get too messy with people trying to post at the same time with different drafts being saved. Especially if people wanted to reply to the thread anonymously. It could be hard to tell the anonymous people apart with just one alt. And the trolling would be a potential issue.
I don't think it would get enough traffic for that to really be a problem tbh
the trolling seems likely to me, or even people using the anonymity to harm other users

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Yeah unless there can be an option for individuals to make their blogs not visible to the public like there used to be then they should be kept as is. It's much better to have them all invisible to the public than have them all visible because it would lead to a lot of people avoiding making blogs.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator

I can see this being abused pretty easily honestly and while we can track IP addresses there are easy ways for people to get around that.

AMA threads being moved to a new subforum in Community Area that doesn’t notify in the shoutbox. Not sure why they’re in the Blog section lol.

I don't really want to create a whole subforum just for AMA threads because I doubt it will be used for a substantial amount of time (since it is basically a quick trend in my eyes).

Can you add Tenor in approve media sites? You can only use Giphy right now

The way Tenor shares embed links seems to be much more complicated than Giphy which is why I assume it isn't already supported. It looks like previously someone has done it but since then the resource was deleted so I can't access it anymore. I'm sure there is probably some way to do it but looking around I can't find any examples of somewhere it has been and is still successfully implemented at the moment. I'll keep my eye out for potential solutions.

Is there any reason blogs are not visible to non-users?
If not, could they be made to be so?

Blogs can potentially be made visible to guests as an opt-in option (not automatically due to privacy concerns), I need some time to set up the permissions up correctly based on the way I have structured the blog section but once I do and am ready to give people the option to show their blog to guests too I'll let you guys know.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I can see this being abused pretty easily honestly and while we can track IP addresses there are easy ways for people to get around that.

I'm curious how it could be abused the original way I suggested. If you had users apply to you to create an anon alt, stating the name it would have, and you restricted it to only life advice, you would already know who controls which alt. And they couldn't troll anywhere except for life advice which could easily be shut down. I understand if it's a matter of being too difficult to set up, but I don't understand how it would be abused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom