• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I can take a look into this. I remember we may have had something like this in the past but don't remember why it was removed? (Perhaps in the change to Xenforo from V:cool:. I also need to consider if double posting will be allowed under any such plugin under different circumstances that can be set by us as we do have some limited circumstances where double posts are used and should be kept separate.
only the mafia boards would need it
ps remove the double post cooldown

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yea, I’m wrong apparently.

Just tested and it was 20s for the first one and 25s for the ones after it. Not sure if it’s always 25s and the first one just choked at some point.

Still do you really need something that allows you to send like ~3 messages per minute? :err:
yes, I shouldn't be restricted from posting when the outcome of a mafia game could depend on it

it can also end up being a snowball effect where one person posting and being delayed causes more people waiting on them to delay and so on

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
If you made 3 irrelevant posts or were reckless in the minute a game outcome could happen I’m more likely to question your playstyle/content than how the forum works maybe. :shrugs:

I feel like the cooldown is helpful because it helps stop some bots and people having freakouts.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i think at least lowering the cooldown is probably fine. I've never seen a bot on here so i feel like the spam filter probably mostly stops them entirely already. I don't know how often people have freakouts, especially the sort that would be stopped by a 25 second posting cooldown, but it could have happened. I'm not sure stopping them from doing that is worth inconveniencing other users though.

One good thing i imagine the cooldown does is prevent accidental double posting. I know Its stopped me from doing that at least a handful of times. It could do that on a lower timer as well though.

I'd personally enjoy if i could post faster in lorule lounge at least. I probably don't often feel the need to post twice in 30 seconds in mafia.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I don't know if this has been asked before, but after a discussion with @Gorozoron I've decided to bring it up here: This forum is suffering from the Sc*nthorpe Problem, where auto-censors can't tell what's a swear and what isn't. My proposed solution is to make censorship optional. By default, everything's censored, if you wanna see swears, then there's a button you can click.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i haven't noticed any problems with the censorship algorithm. Is scunthorpe even censored?

edit: it isn't, apparently. Can you point out where the site has errenously censored something that isn't a swear? If its possible to turn off censoring locally i see no reason why that shouldn't be possible though. I'd guess its not feasible both based on my understanding of forum software and because I imagine it'd have been done by now if it was possible.

Its possible that if the censorship algorithm is lacking in some way though then it could be improved.

shiitake has two i's; that's why it's being censored. You're misspelling it.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason there is no longer a toggle on censor visibility is because Xenforo2 actually made such a setting impossible to configure. We used to have one, but not anymore. Would rather keep the censor than disable it entirely though. I have no personal issue with explicit language, but since this is a family-friendly community, I think the censor should be kept in place. When we did used to have the option to disable it on our own ends, I found myself leaving it enabled, because there's a very real possibility that a word I use may not get censored when it should be, and I want to be able to catch that if it happens.

AwdryFan1997

i haven't noticed any problems with the censorship algorithm. Is scunthorpe even censored?

edit: it isn't, apparently. Can you point out where the site has errenously censored something that isn't a swear? If its possible to turn off censoring locally i see no reason why that shouldn't be possible though. I'd guess its not feasible both based on my understanding of forum software and because I imagine it'd have been done by now if it was possible.

Its possible that if the censorship algorithm is lacking in some way though then it could be improved.
#3,716 Our discussion began here, the term Shiitake (referring to a type of mushroom) is censored. Didn't know Scunthorpe wasn't censored here.

Edit: Have since read Frax's post.

Last edited:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
https://youtu.be/xGlsdR***0o

Links are censored to. Even if it's one in a million, can something be done?

Type F a g in link w/o space

AwdryFan1997

Links are censored to. Even if it's one in a million, can something be done?

Type F a g in link w/o space
Yeah, for links, it's an actual problem. I understand the need for a family-friendly community, but auto-censorship is not the way to do so. I say we make amendments to the rules to handle where you can and cannot swear.

Honestly, I think some should just censor themselves. Like, y'know, type asterisks.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
In nearly every case though, embedding/inserting links as videos or otherwise works fine as an alternative. I personally don't see the need to do away with auto-censorship for a few select exceptions to that.

If anything, adding rules to where and when you can or cannot swear over-complicates things anyway. Forum rules give a general guideline to keep things clean, and the auto-censor ensures that that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom