• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
In nearly every case though, embedding/inserting links as videos or otherwise works fine as an alternative. I personally don't see the need to do away with auto-censorship for a few select exceptions to that.

If anything, adding rules to where and when you can or cannot swear over-complicates things anyway. Forum rules give a general guideline to keep things clean, and the auto-censor ensures that that happens.
Did you try it?
It neither works for [MEDIA] nor the shortening url

I dunno if this was discussed in past,
But I'll put my two cents on censoring
I say they allow censored but make it bannable if it's used in the wrong context.
For example, there's a difference between "A lot of ****'s going on my mind" and "You piece of ****" (offensive)
"I wanna ***** about platinum trophy in RDR II" and "***** please" (offensive).
It's also quite inconvenient in Role Play section with censors.

So, is the word filter absolute? No there are words that are still uncensored that are offensive than the censored words.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Did you try it?
It neither works for [MEDIA] nor the shortening url

I dunno if this was discussed in past,
But I'll put my two cents on censoring
I say they allow censored but make it bannable if it's used in the wrong context.
For example, there's a difference between "A lot of ****'s going on my mind" and "You piece of ****" (offensive)
"I wanna ***** about platinum trophy in RDR II" and "***** please" (offensive).
It's also quite inconvenient in Role Play section with censors.

So, is the word filter absolute? No there are words that are still uncensored that are offensive than the censored words.
But for some, those words are offensive no matter the context.

I was gonna suggest while we were on the subject, maybe some sort of punishment for swearing too much? I mean, absolutely cussing a blue streak.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i think auto-censoring is appropriate considering this forum is meant to be family friendly.

If its possible to improve to improve the swear filter so that it doesn't do things like censor youtube links then i'd support that

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
i haven't noticed any problems with the censorship algorithm. Is scunthorpe even censored?

edit: it isn't, apparently. Can you point out where the site has errenously censored something that isn't a swear? If its possible to turn off censoring locally i see no reason why that shouldn't be possible though. I'd guess its not feasible both based on my understanding of forum software and because I imagine it'd have been done by now if it was possible.

Its possible that if the censorship algorithm is lacking in some way though then it could be improved.

I know it was a pretty prominent problem with a thread about watches a while back whenever people would type wristwatch. So it does get frustrating every now and then with legitimate words.

Edit: Oh, well huh. Looks like that one's been fixed and it doesn't edit anymore.

Last edited:
@Morbid Minish
Sorry about the delay, but link colors on Shades of Blue and Default Dark should be fixed now. It's something that's bugged me a long time as a Default Dark user myself, but Xenforo 2's themes handle links really stupidly and it was overly complicated not universally changing link colors, so it was just... annoying to figure out. I can't guarantee it's 100% fixed but I was trying to avoid changing username colors and other links that are all styled by the same thing. But hopefully it's more noticeable in threads/message content now.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
@Morbid Minish
Sorry about the delay, but link colors on Shades of Blue and Default Dark should be fixed now. It's something that's bugged me a long time as a Default Dark user myself, but Xenforo 2's themes handle links really stupidly and it was overly complicated not universally changing link colors, so it was just... annoying to figure out. I can't guarantee it's 100% fixed but I was trying to avoid changing username colors and other links that are all styled by the same thing. But hopefully it's more noticeable in threads/message content now.

No worries about it taking a bit. It wasn't a pressing issue, just one I had noticed. But thanks a ton for fixing it! Just checked it and it's so much better now.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Why do people need to swear in the first place
Because it conveys emotions like anger, excitement, frustration, arousal, and sadness. I think it’s an important tool when it comes for expressing oneself, specially through text where a lot of that is lost.

It’s not just for attacking people, and if that happens with this intention they should be warned despite it being censored or not imo. I find a bit silly that someone would be offended by reading a word but when the same word comes up as **** and is perfectly understandable in the context the person finds it fine.

The ideal would having it being optional, but I guess it’s not possible. I’m assuming there isn’t a way to individually customize by adding/removing the words to be censored for those wanting to expand the list too, right?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Because it conveys emotions like anger, excitement, frustration, arousal, and sadness. I think it’s an important tool when it comes for expressing oneself, specially through text where a lot of that is lost.

It’s not just for attacking people, and if that happens with this intention they should be warned despite it being censored or not imo. I find a bit silly that someone would be offended by reading a word but when the same word comes up as **** and is perfectly understandable in the context the person finds it fine.

The ideal would having it being optional, but I guess it’s not possible. I’m assuming there isn’t a way to individually customize by adding/removing the words to be censored for those wanting to expand the list too, right?
Those things can obviously be easily conveyed without swearing as I can prove in any given game of mafia, so it's not at all important
There's also a huge difference between seeing a swear and knowing what words got censored. It's not anyone being offended, it's me wanting to filter my consumption to friendly levels

PS sunfan finally realized I was right about the other thing in the mafia server and I'm right about this too
Granted it's a much much more trivial issue

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Hey, you asked why people feel the need to swear and I just answered it one of the reasons for it. And yea, you can literally convey anything in multiple ways; but I feel like it’s unfair to expect them to act and express themselves like you just because you feel comfortable limiting yourself in doing so.
:shrug:

It's not anyone being offended, it's me wanting to filter my consumption to friendly levels
I don’t see how it’s filtering anything to friendly levels if the person is still offending you in the same manner though?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think this whole debate about the censor is a non-issue. We've already fixed most of the words being censored in a word that happens to contain a bad word, for example, wristwatch.

At some point maybe we can get features to make censorship optional, like before, but it seems that isn't possible at this time. I think we should continuing priortizing being a welcoming family-friendly enviroment, especially considering lately we've had an influx of younger aged members. Isolated censored words can be guessed by those who know them within the context of a sentence anyway, so it's not a big deal honestly.

Those things can obviously be easily conveyed without swearing as I can prove in any given game of mafia, so it's not at all important
There's also a huge difference between seeing a swear and knowing what words got censored. It's not anyone being offended, it's me wanting to filter my consumption to friendly levels

PS sunfan finally realized I was right about the other thing in the mafia server and I'm right about this too
Granted it's a much much more trivial issue

Swearing has my seal of approval is the short answer to this.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
only the mafia boards would need it
ps remove the double post cooldown

I've now reduced this to 20 seconds but don't want to reduce it further due to spam. You guys don't see it but we do have lots of bots getting caught in the spam filter so I'd like to still have this layer of defence in place too.

Perhaps the games Hyrule Warriors and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity could be added to the "Favorite Zelda game" option in user's profiles for those who want them?

Just a thought.

I've added these on now.

Links are censored to. Even if it's one in a million, can something be done?

Type F a g in link w/o space

Fixed your link:

On such a rare scenario, you can just update your post to use a link like this instead.

I think this whole debate about the censor is a non-issue. We've already fixed most of the words being censored in a word that happens to contain a bad word, for example, wristwatch.

At some point maybe we can get features to make censorship optional, like before, but it seems that isn't possible at this time. I think we should continuing priortizing being a welcoming family-friendly enviroment, especially considering lately we've had an influx of younger aged members. Isolated censored words can be guessed by those who know them within the context of a sentence anyway, so it's not a big deal honestly.

This is basically my point of view here. I'm not one to care about swearing personally either but in this environment I think that it is appropriate for the filter to remain in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom