• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo's Pretty Quiet... Why?

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I've been wondering, why is Nintendo rediculously quiet on Skyward Sword? They've been giving out info on many of the other games, heck they even give a release date (sort of) for the 3DS for crying out loud! It's been about 5 1/2 (or 6) months already since we've seen anything new. I understand this might build up a lot of hype (I think), but still, I'd like to see or hear something new... NOW. I kinda don't want Nintendo to rush it, but I'd like to hear something. What do you think? Do you want to hear or see something too?

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
That's a good question actually. I heard that they are putting the final touches on SS. Though why they don't give a release date..... I don't know. I think that they really want to surprise us with what they're releasing. But I think that they should show something like a screenshot of SS. Maybe a sneak peak of what a dungeon looks like. But not too much so that the dungeon becomes a lot easier.

Nintendo doesn't want the hype to get out of control like it did with Twilight Princess. Too much hype is a bad thing because people will get unreasonable expectations and get let down when the game doesn't live up to them. With Twilight Princess due the hype, people were focusing on what could have been in the game instead of the good things that were there. When a game or doesn't live up to expectations, people will often nitpick more and if it spreads, it will create a lot of negative sentiment for the game and hurt sales.

This is true in all forms of media, for example the hype was crazy for Star Wars Episode I and when it failed to live up to fans' expectations, it got a mixed reception and a bad reputation. Now Lucasfilm and Lucasarts are more quiet on things in order to maintain some sort of control, and the exact same thing is going on with Nintendo. We've only seen one Skyward Sword trailer because of this, and we are unlikely to see anything else until much closer to the release date.

I'm a masochist, so I'm fine with Nintendo intentionally torturing me just to build a little hype, and to not make the same mistake they did with Twilight Princess.

This is exactly right. Nintendo has learned from its past mistakes. The hype surrounding TP is what ultimately ruined it for so many, because after nearly two years of being spoon-fed by Nintendo, they were lead to believe it would be the absolute greatest game to ever exist, which it obviously couldn't be. Not saying anything about SS guarantees that the same thing never happens again.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I'm actually pretty satisfied with what they've already given us. The more they release the less impressive it's going to be. Even if they did release more stuff I would hardly look at it. A release date would be nice but besides that I'm satisfied with the lick of the ice cream cone we got.

They don't want to overhype it like they did with Twilight Princess. I was so excited for Twilight Princess and I didn't even end up beating the game on my first play through because I got bored with it... it was very disappointing.

It might be a better going into the game not knowing what things are going to look like or what the story line is gonna be like or what items there are going to be. The only thing, really, that is important to know about are the controls and the jist of the storyline. Nintendo has already given us a bunch of information regarding the controls and enough information to know what the basic storyline is going to be.

In my opinion I'd be content with only the info we have now until the game releases. It will make the debut of everything we've ever wanted to know all the more exciting. :P

actually, to follow up on every one else's comments skyward sword has gotten a relitively negative response from the general public since the whole E3 Presentation and people complaining about the cell shaded graphics. Even if it's half the game i expect it to turn out to be i know that it will blow most peoples expectations out of the water.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I agree with everyone that it shouldn't build up on the hype like Twilight Princess, but I think Nintendo should AT LEAST at the most show us something new. They should show us a litte thing new, but not a whole lot to spoil it. Agree?

I sadly agree with Nintendo4ever, Skyward Sword has been getting negative responsive lately, because of it's graphics, sadly. Why do people judge a game by how it looks? I like the fresh new look, especially how it's like a painting come to life. The impressionist-like graphics are beautiful! When The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword releases, it's gonna blow peoples minds.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Nintendo's usually quiet about all of their games until about one month before their release. System hardware is a bit different, but games tend not to get the treatment until they're ready to be pressed to a disc. I'm not seeing any shadier activity from them than there normally is. The reason why we got so much info pre-Twilight Princess was because it was originally intended to come out earlier. I wouldn't compare the current lack of info on Skywalker Sword to the info on TP at the same time since it's announcement.

A better comparison to their marketing campaigns would be PH and ST, and even look at the pushes this year for Metroid Other M and currently DK Country Returns. They're not the type of company to build hype over months and years. They like it all to come out in the window of the game's release so people are immediately made aware, and then they get excited and make a purchase. Other companies release a video a week or so for a year and eventually people's minds get fuzzy on just when the title's coming out, or they get tired of too much pre-hype.

So, really, it's just Nintendo doing what they do best. No reason to worry, or to be anxious. When the hype train starts, we'll know it, and we'll be playing the game soon after.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I don't mind that Nintendo's not showing all that much of SS. Makes the wait more worth it in my opinion because I don't know what's going to happen in the game and when I do finally get to play it it'll feel like a whole new Zelda experience for me. TP never really gave me that whole disappointed experience. Although it probably was because I never really payed attention to the spoilers about it and the trailers showcasing it.

And as for the graphics giving SS an already negative opinion in some people's eyes, I'll admit that I was a little turned off by the graphics in SS when they showed it at E3, but afterwards I remembered how WW was when it first came out and how people hated it due to its graphics but in the end it turned out to be a pretty epic game. When I thought about that and decided to look at the game itself and not at it's graphics I began to look forward to it and now I can't wait to play it when it comes out! :)

I've been wondering, why is Nintendo rediculously quiet on Skyward Sword? They've been giving out info on many of the other games, heck they even give a release date (sort of) for the 3DS for crying out loud! It's been about 5 1/2 (or 6) months already since we've seen anything new. I understand this might build up a lot of hype (I think), but still, I'd like to see or hear something new... NOW. I kinda don't want Nintendo to rush it, but I'd like to hear something. What do you think? Do you want to hear or see something too?

Because if they released information about it, a lot of people would complain about it not coming out sooner, being delayed (if they released specific release dates), then ***** about the game when it finally came out because it didn't live up to the expectations (whatever Alpha/Beta content was shown).
I think it's a good idea not to release lots of information early on, to avoid this sort of problem as much as possible.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
The reason why we got so much info pre-Twilight Princess was because it was originally intended to come out earlier.

If I'm not mistaken, the release date for Twilight Princess was pushed multiple times to the point in which they put it on two consoles instead of the one that was already out on the release date it would have had in the first place. In this case, they haven't even given much a release date yet, only saying that it would be released sometime in 2011. They have said the same for the 3DS, but they already have a definite release date for in Japan and "ish" around the rest of the world.

I suppose why they're being quiet, as February Eve has mentioned, is because Nintendo is trying to not fill the game up with hype, leaving fans with their theories and not what Nintendo gives to the masses. Hype can be a really bad thing, such as with Battlecruiser 3000AD or Duke Nukem Forever (which I fear is getting a release date...I fear it because we can't make a joke about it never being released now).

Why I bring this up is because what if they announce stuff, but it takes them longer than expected, we start to believe that they are trying to make it absolutely perfect when it looks the same as it did during the announcement videos. The whole point of this, as others have stated, is because Nintendo doesn't want to disappoint everyone because they believe everyone will think the game will be bigger than the end product.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Actually, Nintendo is kind of quiet about other games as well. Probably so that more people will buy games because of the excitement. :)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Because if they release too much info then people already know what to expect and it won't be all that new when your playing for the first time and feeling all that POWER!!! And also because if they give us too much info people won't care for it as much becuase all the mystery is gone and will just get the game on release date like eh, without any anticipation. So it's a smart move to keep quiet.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
They don't want to give a release date because then if they don't think they can get it done they will either a) Rush it and it won't be as good as we want it to be or b) Postpone the date and then people will get mad. Although I too want them to reveal something it's better for them to not so we will be more hyped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom