• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Overrated Bands/Singers

Two Words.

One.
Direction.

ughhh I can't stand them, I mean they seem like nice guys, but their music is terrible and their fans are insane!
NO, you are not going to marry them. You don't have to fight over 'who gets who'
and I'm sick and tired of all their songs getting stuck in my head for a week -_-

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Breaking Benjamin - Yeah, they're pretty good. That's where it stops. Their songs are really basic, Ben Burnley is a terrible singer (plus he's a total moron IRL)... if you want some good Alt-Metal, listen to Chevelle.

Avenged Sevenfold - Not even sure why anybody likes these guys. Most. Generic. Band. Ever.

Train - Yeah, they're really not all that great.

Michael Jackson - He was a phenomenal dancer, don't get me wrong, but I guess I just never really liked his music.

Lastly...I can't believe I'm bringing myself to say this but.........
Radiohead
I love this band so much.... they're my favorite band, and they've essentially changed my life with their music, but their fans are horrible! Look at a YouTube video involving them, and I'm sure you'll find an argument about something stupid somewhere in the comments, and at least one of the people in this argument will be one of... them. Those Radiohead fans that believe that Radiohead is a creation from God himself, everything they do is the most artistic thing ever created, and they're basically worth worshipping. Gosh, these guys irritate me.
A good deal of hardcore Tool fans are like this, too, along with hardcore NIN fans. I'm sure at least one of you knows what I'm talking about here :lol:

Hanyou

didn't build that
I don't think I have the discernment to know what's overrated and what's not. After all, different things are rated differently in different circles, and I hardly know anyone who likes most of the music I passionately dislike.

However, I am curious how the Black Eyed Peas are popular at all--and no question, they are extremely popular. Just look at the lyrics:

[video=youtube;2U4Wq9tdu4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U4Wq9tdu4w&feature=related[/video]

Is there anything redeeming about this awful song? The lyrics are offensively bad, pointlessly sexual in random places, with random references to unrelated subject matter. The melody is catchy--for about five seconds. Then it just loops. There are no surprises, there is no emotion, technical prowess, poetry, atmosphere, or anything else that makes music good on display here. Even the most basic power pop usually has some redeeming qualities, be it social commentary, unexpected turns, or, you know, singing. I don't know what you'd call this auto-tuned mess, but it doesn't even offer charming simplicity.

I was genuinely surprised at how much hate people had for Rebecca Black's Friday, especially considering, regardless of the sordid story behind the production, the singer was just a young girl and the song was quite a bit like this. I can't even tell a difference. I don't know how a culture that praises the Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, and Lady Gaga can crucify someone like Rebecca Black.

It's all horrible. The Black Eyed Peas are at least laughably bad, so there is some entertainment value there, but it's kind of sad when you consider that The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and other bands that pushed boundaries were once considered popular music. Now we have this filth.

Last edited:
I agree with you about Michael Jackson. He was an entertaining dancer, but musician? nope.

I am curious as to why you put RHCP and Foo Fighters on your list? Flea is a talented bassist and Dave Grohl is a great drummer, frontman, and guitarist.

It's not as though I think they are talentless, it's just that both the RHCP and the Foo Fighters have fallen into a pattern of just rehashing all of their old crap without even trying hide it. I dunno, I just feel like whatever originality these two bands had fizzled out a long time ago.

Garo

Boy Wonder
And let me put on the record that this applies to anyone who uses autotune. Not only does autotune sound awful, if you need to use it to cover up your awful singing voice, then you shouldn't be singing.

Autotune is not inherently bad. It is a tool in the artists' toolbox, one that is used poorly at times, but one that is also used to great effect by talented artists who know how to use it. Though 808s and Heartbreak was probably his weakest album, Kanye West proved that it can be used well on that album; similarly, Nate Ruess formerly of The Format and currently of fun., who has time and time again proven himself to be perhaps the most talented vocalist today, used it to spectacular effect on fun.'s most recent offering, Some Nights.

Gotye (honestly, I don't understand why this guy got popular... that one song you hear everywhere is so dull and generic)
Michael Jackson (many will disagree here, but dude got like deified over the course of his career and frankly it was ridiculous)
Ozzy Osbourne (after Sabbath;you know, when he sucked)
Train
Justin Bieber (duh)
Maroon 5
Linkin Park
Green Day
Beatles
Rolling Stones (don't dislike them at all, but they are pretty overrated; really no one can call the esteem that they and the Beatles both achieved reasonable)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (seriously, they were passable early on, but standing by anything recent is just wrong)
Foo Fighters
Metallica (like, to a stupid extent)
Bon Jovi
Taylor Swift
Jay Z (he is everything wrong with modern rap, and he should not be allowed to put out albums anymore)
every boy band
Nickleback

Those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I didn't acknowledge any Disney bands as I do not recognize them as legitimate musicians.

:yes:

actual wtf lol :p

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
Two Words.

One.
Direction.

ughhh I can't stand them, I mean they seem like nice guys, but their music is terrible and their fans are insane!
NO, you are not going to marry them. You don't have to fight over 'who gets who'
and I'm sick and tired of all their songs getting stuck in my head for a week -_-
I agree with you.

And also...
Justin Bieber. Seriously.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
The problem with auto tune and using reverb too much is because it is used to mask a bad voice. There are so many crappy "singers" out there that get signed. Then you have the hard working musicians who bust their butt in bars and coffee houses with no help from auto tune whatsoever. It's like Hanyou said above. The popular music sucks these days. Nicki Minaj? Are you kidding me!? yuck. You couldn't pay me to listen to that...okay, maybe a hundred dollar bill...you get the point. Real musicians like Neil Young, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and bands like Rush and King Crimson were idolized. Not this generic stuff.

Sorry...... I guess I was being really opinionated when I say that.... it's just, they sound like every other metal band to me. Nothing really against them or their fans.

I bet if you knew them better you'd change your mind. :P I kinda see where you're coming from though. They do draw a lot of inspiration from Metallica and Iron Maiden, and, well, a lot of bands do also.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
hmmm....overrated bands/singers. I love Metallica (like looooove Metallica), but they are probably overrated. Especially their newer albums. It's just meh when you compare it to Ki'll 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. Not saying that they are bad, but a lot of people (including me) hold them in way too high of regard.

I'm gonna go with any boy band just because people (mainly teenage girls) like them for their pretty boy looks. Too often, singers become popular not because of talent, but because of their looks. This sickens me as a lot of true talent had disappeared from the pop genre as of late.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I bet if you knew them better you'd change your mind. :P I kinda see where you're coming from though. They do draw a lot of inspiration from Metallica and Iron Maiden, and, well, a lot of bands do also.

Yeah, that's fairly likely. :P I'm just not a huge fan of their general sound, but I'm sure they're perfectly talented musicians and songwriters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom