• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Much Would You Pay for a Videogame?

H

HalfBlindGamer

Some people complain about the price of some games and consoles.
70 euros is too much for a PS3 game?!
500 is too much for XBOX 360?
Well, ever heard about Nintendo Championship 1990 (Nes)
Rarest game ever. Only 116 was made and 90 had gray cartridge and rest of them had golden. It costs about 10.000$ - 25.000$.
Somebody sold it for 17.500$ O.O
So how much you would pay for a videogame?

Btw, that game sucks, it has super mario an tetris an one other game (i dont remember) and it can be played for 6min 21sec.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I am happy paying the general standard prices for games as they are today. Before taxes, I usually pay $50 for Wii titles and $35 to $40 for DS titles. I think that's an acceptable level to keep them at as long as they offer good gameplay and an experience that lasts more than a standard short end game of about 8 to 10 hours.

In some cases, I've payed less for titles in buying them after some time since their release. I've paid about $25 for each of the Wii Tomb Raider titles, and I think that's a steal. I paid $15 for Spider-Man 3, and I was glad I did. I got about $15 of gameplay out of it. If I had paid $50 for Spidey 3 for Wii, I would have been greatly disappointed.

Sometimes these titles demand more, which is ridiculous. Web of Shadows and Quantum of Solace, both badly executed Wii titles, were $55 at their release. Twilight Princess was $60, and it was worth it. I would have paid more for it given I paid less than a dollar for every hour of entertainment I got out of that title.

I remember as a kid, NES games were much MUCH more. I paid $99.99 for Super Mario Bros 3 when it came out. This was the standard Canadian price the week it was released. Was it worth it? Definitely! I would have paid that for Mario Galaxy even, but hey, it was only $50.

So, really, as long as games give a good amount of gameplay, and are well done, I will pay what the current prices are. If it's a shovelware title though, I think the price should reflect that. It's a crime to charge full price for a title that seems incomplete and clumsy.

I wouldn't pay inflated eBay prices for games, especially in this day and age of downloads being made available. A title shouldn't go up in time if I can still find it used at retail for less. As for the Championship title, that's more of a collector's item than an actual desire to play Mario for 6 minutes. It usually ends that high just because of the completionists who want to own every NES cartridge, and there's something like 50 in the world. I personally wouldn't pay that much money for any kind of collectible. I think I'd rather eat, buy gas and pay off a mortgage.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I can be somewhat of a collector and if you have the money why not spend them? You only live once the wise folks say!

It all depends on the situation I guess. I´m so "poor" now that I wouldn´t buy any game for more than 20 dollars. Good thing situations tend to change and that I was born optimistic, maybe next month I would allow myself to pay 1 000 000 $ for a game ;)

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I've never been into collecting old games that I'm not gonna play and that cost an arm and a leg to buy. Whether it's an uber rare game or not, it just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm willing to pay no more than fifty dollars for a single video game. I usually buy a $50 game and maybe three or four less expensive games (Mainly used games from GameStop) every other month. Since I don't have job yet, I try to do a lot of extra work so that I don't completely empty my wallet on game shopping sprees. =P

As for consoles, I think I'd let myself pay maybe $350 max for a console. But only if I wanted it really bad, and was willing to work my butt off to raise the money. Because not only do I have to get the console, but also a game to play on it, a few controllers, and some other useful accessories. Which usually ends up being another 100-200 dollars.

Maybe once I get a job things will be different though.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Usually I try and look for used copies before looking at new ones. If it was a DS game that I wanted, I would try to keep the amount no more than $30. Also, before I buy games I check reviews and make absolutely sure that the game is interesting before I spend any amount of money. On the virtual console, I avoid paying as much as possible because I really hate spending money, especially online.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I don't like the fact that games in europe are way more expensive than the exact same games in the US. Twilight princess is still 60 euro here (well 59,95) which is $85,37. I don't say TP wasn't worth the money, but you all have to agree that the difference is price is just ridiculous.

I often buy 2nd hand games though. I rather have 3 older games for 60 euro than 1 brand new 60 euro game. Sadly the price for 2nd hand games are also on the expensive side. At the gamemania store a 2nd hand gamecube game is between 10 and 25 euro >.<

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121

I get some of my games for cheap from a friend who plays through them once and sells them cheap to friends, usually $20-$25 depending on how much he paid for the game.

I buy my new games for $50 - $60 for Xbox 360 and $40 - $50 for Wii and $20 - $40 for PSP and DS, all depending on whether they're 1st party games or 3rd party games, 1st party games are usually priced higher than 3rd party games. The prices of most games go down depending on how long they've been on the market although not all game's prices go down. I don't have a PS3 so I don't pay attention to those prices. The store I buy from is FYE. They also sell pre-played games, usually not less than $10 off of the new price. The're not always in good condition, I've bought 1 or 2 pre-viewed games from there that didn't work at all because of scratches and I had to return them.

There's also a locally owned store called Replays that sells PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games for super cheap, anywhere from $2 - $20 depending on the game's rarity, and estimated value. They sell Wii games from $15 - $39.99 depending on how new it is and they sell Xbox 360 games from $15 - $49.99 depending again on how new it is. I don't pay attention to PS3 game prices here either. I've never bought any DS, PSP or GBA games here even though they do sell them. They also sell PS1, N64, Snes, Nes, Dreamcast, Genesis, and Saturn games here as well as every game system as available. Again I don't pay much attention to the prices for these. All of the games on disk are resurfaced before resale and are never scratched.

Just some examples, I paid $3 for Thief (xbox), $2 for Metal Gear Solid 2 (ps2), and $25 for Blue Dragon (Xbox 360) from Replays

Replays buys games and systems for either Cash or Store Credit, amounts depending on the game and/or system's resale value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
It's all about being a smart shopper or not.

For example, twilight Princess GCN version in Portugal is nearly impossible to find, and used copies go up to +70 euro,wich is something like 100 dollars or so, but I found a sealed copy for just 54, for example.
And a new example is Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Right after the E3, both the first golden sun's and The Lost age's prices sky rocketed, a boxed The lost age now is worth 150 dollars, and I got mine for 5 euro, wich is 7,50 dollars or so.

Patience is often rewarded, that's one of the things you have to consider when buying games

D

Deleted member 121

It's all about being a smart shopper or not.

For example, twilight Princess GCN version in Portugal is nearly impossible to find, and used copies go up to +70 euro,wich is something like 100 dollars or so, but I found a sealed copy for just 54, for example.
And a new example is Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Right after the E3, both the first golden sun's and The Lost age's prices sky rocketed, a boxed The lost age now is worth 150 dollars, and I got mine for 5 euro, wich is 7,50 dollars or so.

Patience is often rewarded, that's one of the things you have to consider when buying games

Wow, that sucks that prices do that there, I suppose that is how supply and demand works though. Low supply when combined High demand make prices skyrocket as high as people will pay, and only come down to the point where there are buyers again. It kinda makes me glad stores here don't do that here (aside from Gasoline prices). I've never seen the price of games here increase accept for when new systems come out. Even then it's usually no more than a $10 increase.

Have you tried buying games online? I do believe its usually cheaper compared to local retail stores here. When I buy games and such online I usually go to http://www.Amazon.com games, depending on how long they've been out, are often at a fairly good prices and you can get quite the bargain on some games. Prices there usually aren't higher than my local retail stores, in fact, I don't think prices ever go higher, before S&H anyway.

I guess patience really does pay off sometimes.

L

Link of Hyrule

The most I would pay for a game is $200 to $300. I really am a game freak and waist money on them all the time.

B

Blood Wolf

To me the price should be with the quality of the graphics, the storyline and how exciting it actually is.

If it has crappy graphics, crappy storylines and crappy action, then it should be around like... 3- 9 dollars. (Yes, I do mean Wii Sports, NFL and and most team sport games)

If it has fail graphics, but good storyline, alright action, about 15-20 dollars.

Et cetera, but seeing as it costs to get the games stocked into selected stores, and the price to buy the games to put them in stock and the usual demand for the games gives stores the pressure, resulting with them raising the prices on all the games, even the ones that shouldn't see the light of day. So basically, once the item is in the store, we shouldn't really complain about the prices of the games, if they're too expensive, shrug it off and just find something that would be equally as fun and a bit cheaper, or if you do in fact have the money, look over a few cheaper games, see if there's anything you like because maybe in fact the one you have your eyes on is actually just some cheap remake of a game that had so fairly been excellent the original time.

The point I'm trying to get at is that no matter how much we complain about the prices of games, we can't expect the stores to drop the prices of their stock, but I do indeed wish that could be so because I want a few games for the PS3 myself, but I unfortunately do not have the money for them. x3

Sorry if I went off topic.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Wow, that sucks that prices do that there, I suppose that is how supply and demand works though. Low supply when combined High demand make prices skyrocket as high as people will pay, and only come down to the point where there are buyers again. It kinda makes me glad stores here don't do that here (aside from Gasoline prices). I've never seen the price of games here increase accept for when new systems come out. Even then it's usually no more than a $10 increase.

Have you tried buying games online? I do believe its usually cheaper compared to local retail stores here. When I buy games and such online I usually go to http://www.Amazon.com games, depending on how long they've been out, are often at a fairly good prices and you can get quite the bargain on some games. Prices there usually aren't higher than my local retail stores, in fact, I don't think prices ever go higher, before S&H anyway.

I guess patience really does pay off sometimes.

Don't misinterpret me, I payed 5 euro for my sealed Golden Sun: The Lost Age xD.
And I don't like buying online, specially from International Sites.
Most of the good portuguese game stores are near where I live, so I visit there often, and, a lot of times buy used games, either because it's an old game and can't find anywhere else new, or it's a new game but it's much much cheaper

D

Deku Scrub

I honestly wouldn't pay over $50 for any game, unless it was any Nintendo title, or some inflation somehow raised the prices.

Though I usually don't end up paying much for games, for I got everything that's good and new, and now I'm just focusing on getting games on VC that I never got to play, and some good Gamecube games like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime that I never bought, since I got the Gamecube not long before the Wii was announced. So I really only pay <$20 for games right now.

D

Deleted member 121

Don't misinterpret me, I payed 5 euro for my sealed Golden Sun: The Lost Age xD.

Which is why I said "patience really does pay off sometimes" =)

Honestly, The most I would pay depends on the game. For example if FFVII was remade for PS3 I would buy a PS3 ASAP just to get it.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I hate spending money, so unless I "need" to get the game *coughchronotriggercough*, I will wait until it drops in price. Unfortunately, this usually takes like... 2 years at least, it seems.
This is why I still haven't played Mario Kart Wii. I'm just not paying 60 bucks for a game.

It seems like the only games with decent prices are the crappy ones like 'Barbie Hairdressing' or whatever. All the decent games are over $40.

My sister once looked at the prices of games, and she was socked to see how expensive they are nowadays. Although I have no idea what they were like when she was young with a NES, I agree. The prices these days can be a bit too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom