• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Books

Claire

The Geekette
My first post in this thread was dull, and my perspective on books have changed greatly. While I am not saying that The Hobbit is no longer worthy of being a favorite or is any less amazing than it truly is, there are other books which I have read that I've grown to love. I, without a doubt, have loved reading the works of Michio Kaku and Richard Dawkins. Most recently I've read Physics of the Impossible and The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution. I am a huge fan of non-fiction, and these two are absolutely favorites of mine. I've been reading more non-fiction in my spare time, and I enjoy it more than any type of literary genre.

I've read plenty of other books, but these outshine the majority. I'd definitely recommend them!

Epwna

The epic turnip king
Best Book Ever

What is your favorite book of all time.Mine is My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.It is amazing.So,what's your favorite book.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Aside from ancient texts of world spiritual significance which I don't approach for "enjoyment" the same way I do fiction... probably...

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. It's thoughful and beautiful. I got to meet the author once, too. Nice guy.

W

Wolfprint

American Gods by Neil Gaiman has been the top of my list for the longest now.

N

Nil

A Confederacy of Dunces is amusing, offensive, invigorating and so many more things, all at once! While there's not much on character development, there is a lot of stubbornness, adventures, general misunderstandings and the like to be had. The setting is a good ways back as far as USA goes, I'd say 1920-1960 somewhere, and it's a bit, ah, different. I don't understate the offensive.

Hmm, perhaps more friendly is the A Wrinkle in Time series, or perhaps The Phantom Tollbooth. Veritable STAPLES OF MY CHILDHOOD. Both mostly adventures. One with a bit more science involved, and the other, the latter, a bit more with silly wordplay abound.

I remember My Side of the Mountain, too. Good stuff.

Also, if you'vr never read Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel you're missing out. It made me spontaneously develop a six pack when I was five.

L

Linkmsg92

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I'm so drawn in by all the conspiracy theories and such that he incorporates into his stories. Also, the addition of the subject of Free Masonry just boggles my mind. He uses everything so well and it really is what inspired me to want to be a mason (Which I'm not yet). After reading the book I read up on masons and overall this book is just fantastic. A great read.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll.

I don't remember ever reading the original Alice in Wonderland, but I seriously love its sequel. I can't even remember why I love it so much. Maybe it's just because it's "nonsense fiction" and so irrationally peculiar that there's nothing for me not to love about the story. Maybe it's because there's nothing rational enough about the story to consciously analyze so I can't get distracted by all those over-analization techniques that English classes have brainwashed me with.
Oh gosh, now I really want to go dig out my old copy for another read.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
The Children of Hurin - JRR Tolkein

Incredibley dark, very pessimistic.
A good book for anyone who doesn't mind books not having a happy ending.

linkman8

True and Noble
Twi- (*looks around for twilight haters*)-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azakaban (dunno if it's spelled correctly)
*slowly slips handgun back into holster* :P
I'd probably have to say one of my favorite book series would have to be the Belgariad series, and the Inheritance cycle is one of my favorites too.

My favorite book would have to be The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Long title, I know, but it was a very entertaining read.
Some kid tries to find out who killed his neighbor's dog. He finds out who did in the middle of the book and also finds out what happened to one of his family members. A bunch of twists in the book. I would recommend it.

Austin

Austin
Are we counting graphic novels as "books"? If we are, I'd have to choose V for Vendetta by Alan Moore. It absolutely destroys the movie imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom