• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Donkey Kong Country Returns

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Before I even start, I am clearly warning everyone that this thread will contain spoilers. DeReps to comments saying that they are spoilers, or complaints to mods or admins to due someone spoiling in this thread is unacceptable. Spoiler tags will not be necessary, as this whole thread is about a relatively new game.

We haven't seen Donkey Kong and his pal Diddy alone in a while, have we? Well, now, we have it: Donkey Kong Country Returns brought to us by Retro Studios is here now for about 3 months. Well, what did you think of it? Was is good or bad?

Here are my reactions to the game:

Let's start with the music and graphics of the game. The graphics were absolutely gorgeous. Fantastic. The 2D levels rendered in 3D was executed superbly. The music was also very good, don't we all love hearing some retro music. Ah, the nostalgia that comes to us. I don't have much criticism in this area of the game.

The level design in the game was a big step down from the original (I am referring to Donkey Kong Country, not two or three due to the fact the number one had Donkey and Diddy and was the closest to this game). The difficulty was a far easier than the original game. We could probably all see this coming, as Nintendo is clearly shifting to appealing to a wider audience, so they make easier games. But I say that they should have made the levels hard like the were; after all, this is supposed to act like a revival or the series, right? The secrets were pretty bad also, I mean they were all so obvious. Half of the levels had a puzzle piece where if you walk back from the start, it is right there. The bonus levels were pretty boring, and their placement wasn't the best choice in my opinion. I am also disappointed that there were no ice themed levels, or there were no levels were the protagonists swim underwater.

The plot of the game was very plain also. I expected a bit more story to what was going on, but all we got was bad guys comes and steels bananas, Donkey and Diddy Kong get angry and chase them, and they beat up the bad guys and get bananas back. It does seem like the original one, but I didn't like how there was no plot development whatsoever between the beginning and the end of the game. We got a bunch of walking alligators (Kremlings) replaced by a bunch of living drums (Tikis). The bosses were sad. They didn't get harder as you progressed except for the final boss, they were only different. And the final boss fight was so disappointing compared to King. K. Rool. What a joke.

The characters in the game was poor. There were three returning characters in the game: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Cranky Kong. Where did everybody go? And the (other) animal partners went missing to. We only saw the Rhino and Parrot. No ostrich, frog, of swordfish. Bad, bad, bad.

Well, as you can see, I wasn't very impressed with this game. Sure, it might have done the job, but it did a very poor job. Tell me what you guys think of the game!

If I were to rate this game, I would give it a 5.5/10.

Last edited:

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I only played it at my bro-in-laws house for 30 min and I still think original was much and I was sad that the Rhino, Ostrich, Swordfish.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I thought it was great. They could've done an updated version of Donkey Kong 64 which, I don't think, would've come out as well. They left out some of the old favorites, but they kept the gameplay the same which is really why the series is great.

Perhaps for nostalgia's sake, it took a turn for the worse, but in the market that it's in, and with it's competitors (New Super Mario Bros Wii and Kirby's Epic Yarn) it had to focus on difficulty and gameplay. It's the most hardcore of the three and rightly so.

As for the plot, I never noticed much of a plot in the original games o_O

Graphics were brilliant, loved that sunset level. :) I think the really good bits were the ones where you'd move closer to, or further from, the screen. It was a bit of a challenge often making me get closer to the screen, even though i really didn't need to.

I think the difficulty was right where it needed to be. There weren't as many spots where I would get stuck for days, but I say that's due to my growing in age and skill, and also better controls. I think they've improved upon the originals in almost every way, without recreating the exact same thing.

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
I see what you mean in your points, but I think DKCR was a good game in bringing back Donkey Kong. The Countries were the best DK game in my opinion, and I think that DKCR was better than all other DK games (other than DKC).

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I love this game! I never played the originals but I might download them on VC. I love DKCR!!!

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Hmmm. I don't really agree with you... I do miss the other animals, and I agree with you about the underwater swimming part, but... the plot has NEVER been what the DKC series is about. I, for one, thought the cutscenes were well done and humorous. I also thought that the level design was very creative. I'm sorry that you didn't like this game. I really enjoyed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom