• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Does Twilight Princess Deserve to Be Called a Disappointment?

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
How many of you were disappointed with twilight princess when you got it? I sure wasn't. I found many very great things about it. Post what you liked about the game best. Or post what you thought was a disappointment of the game. I'm not gonna say anything right now I wanna see what you guys think about the game.

I wasn't a zelda fan when I first played twilight princess, so i didn't knew anything about the hype and therefore didn't had much to be dissapointed about, neither did I played it when it was released in 2006, My first run was in 2009, but I loved the game and it's still my favourite:)

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I thought it ws a great game but that may be because it as my first game. I can see some points of views from people but for the most part it was what got me into zelda. A complaint that I can understand is that it was dark and that it was really easy throughout the game and temples.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
I do think that there were some imperfections in the game such as just throwing Ganondorf in there, but it's still a good game. I wasn't dissapointed at all.

Kybyrian

There's certainly no reason to call Twilight Princess a disappointment. It was a fantastic game, and I don't see why there are so many people who wish to insist it's anything but that. The game definitely had it's flaws, sure, but a lot of games do. I think that the reason a lot of people are disrespecting a lot of the new Zelda games is because they compare it to their favorite over and over again. In this case, most Zelda fans prefer Ocarina of Time over many other games. When somebody compares a game to their favorite and measures the ups and downs and beats on it in every way possible, you're not going to enjoy it. This is why I always call critics sour people who just can't enjoy themselves. It sounds harsh but it's true. If you can only focus on what the game doesn't excel at, then you aren't going to appreciate it.

There were a few disappointments I had with Twilight Princess - not to mention some boring/bad parts that didn't appeal to me much - but I don't think it was a failure. The game was jam-packed with awesome gameplay and excitement. The dungeons were well-designed and the new items had some really unique and cool uses that really added a lot to the game. The biggest disappointment I had with the game is that it could go so slow at some points - notably the areas where there was twilight - but it could still be fun and exciting at many points during playthrough.

If you're one of the people thinking to yourself, "Twilight Princess is a horrible game," then I implore you to replay it and try to make as much out of those enjoyable moments as you can. I realize there are some people who just weren't pleased overall with the design and gameplay of Twilight Princess, but most people should be able to get something out of it. It's our instinct to focus on what's bad and remember that, but we should instead be focusing on what's good and try to enjoy it. That's what you have to do with a game like Twilight Princess. Everything isn't going to be perfect all the time, you just have to focus on what's good and try to get over what's not.

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
I say it was one of the best Zelda games I've ever played. I mean it had my favorite animal and everything. So I wouldn't believe someone if the said they didn't like the game.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Not a dissapointment, no. But I suppose it could have been over anticipated. I love Twilight Princess, but just no where near as much as the other Zelda games. I feel it is very dark, yes I know MM is as well but I actually haven’t played it yet. Whilst I should not be one to judge (as I am not even very far on in the game) I still think it could have been a bit lighter. Which, I know would probably ruin the story line and all but I just prefer lighter games. Also, I’ve only done the light bug thing twice and it’s already tiresome. I do think the story, characters, appearance and graphics were all very well done and high points of the game. But my own idea of what I like in a Zelda game made it less of a game I love. That’s just my personal opinion and it doesn’t stop Twilight Princess from being a brilliant game, it just pushes it further down my favourites list.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I wasn't disappointed at all. I love the game so much I keep on playing it over and over again. It is dark for sure yes and I also feel they could have maken the game less easy because it is very easy to beat. But in general I love it. I do agree with Kybyrian. There were some flaws in it but in general it was a very good game.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I found the entire plot to be pretty cliche or over used, and nothing about the game felt particularly different from previous titles. There never felt to be a sense of urgency to save the world, which was disappointing, given how hard they tried to make it seem in game. It had a bland cast of characters, and everything felt hushed and muted, even when a lot of action was going on, making some scenes have an awkward forced feeling to the situation. The music wasn't particularly good either, sounding very dated in some areas, and same for textures and the design of some enemies. Wolf Link puzzles could have been improved, and there could have been more done with it with the scent tracking and howling.

I could go on all day, over all, not a great game but its not horrible.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If you look at it for face value, it certainly is not a disappointment. But if you go in depth, all TP is is a graphical remake of OoT but with the items losing value. It's done really well in every department if you aren't a fan of the Zelda series prior to playing TP. Also, the graphical style was a bit bland. Realistic, yes, but bland. I did enjoy the story, because finding out what happens somewhere near the end was a shocker the first time through. TP all in all isn't a disappointment, but it isn't on par with some of the other Zelda "legends" in my opinion(OoT, ALttP, LoZ, etc).

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
To be honest I liked TP a little bit more than OoT. I feel that TP was more or less an enhanced version of OoT with better gameplay and graphics but I don't care about graphics to much.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No. I don't see why some people consider it that. It had a great story that flowed very well together (basically cinematically), the gameplay was extremely smooth, it had some of the more intense moments in the series, and it had the more mature tone that most fans were wanting from the series (including me). It had its flaws and the second half of the game was somewhat stale, making the final buildup just a skyrocket rather than a slowly increasing one, but the ending of the game was still executed perfectly. The only people that should be disappointed are the ones who hyped it up in their heads too much.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I love Twilight Princess, it's a great game, love the story, best transformation of Link along with MM, fun gameplay and graphics.

I think the problem is Twilight Princess is a great game. But Ocarina of Time is the greatest game. So, by comparision, I guess some would see it as a disappointment. But, really, you can't expect any game to match Ocarina of Time, let alone pass it (except maybe Majora's Mask but we're not having that conversation) I enjoy Twilight Princess thoroughly, and I urge the doubters to give it another try.

T

Twilight_Prince

Twilight Princess was a revolution in the playing style of the series as well as a masterpiece of a game. The new playing style captivated me from minute one. Sure Link is right handed in this game instead of left handed in the others, but so what. Twilight Princess is the father of Wii swordplay games. Link has gone from swinging a sword at the push of a button to swinging a sword at the swing of a remote. I say bravo to Twilight Princess and I am excited to see how Nintendo tops it with Skyward Sword.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
I certainly don't consider TP a disappointment. When I first played it, I felt like I did when I was introduced to the Zelda series back when OoT was released. The story is what blew me away, because it seemed to be deeper than previous Zelda titles I had played.

I'm not one to look at graphics, but to me, TP's visuals were very pleasing to me. I don't understand why people say the colors are dark; everything seemed pretty bright to me, thanks to the wonderful lighting. No, there wasn't a rainbow of colors like in WW, but the color choices seemed to fit the game's art style. I also thought they used the visuals very well throughout the various cutscenes. This really made TP seem cinematic and so it seemed to actually tell a complete story rather than giving a story as an excuse to play a game (not that there's anything wrong with that). I also think that TP has the best looking dungeons. Each one had a very distinct atmosphere and were intricately detailed.

The one thing TP did really well and what sets it apart from other Zelda games is the polished combat system. Despite the fact that the game is extremely easy, this has some of my favorite battles of the entire series. The Hidden Skills in combination with the normal sword moves really made fighting more involved. It never seemed like you were just hacking away at enemies, but you were actually fighting them.

Sure the game has its flaws. The beginning drags a bit too long (it can take, what, 45 minutes before you finally can go to the first dungeon?) and the Twilight sections can be repetitive. And yes, it was probably a bit too easy. But all games have their problems and so the question is, "Do the positives outweigh the negatives?" I'd say, in TP's case, yes they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom