• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Does Twilight Princess Deserve to Be Called a Disappointment?

H

Hymness

Hi people! This is my first post here, so I'll try to look like a nice person :P

I really appreciated Twilight Princess. I found the game more serious than its predecessors. The visual art was outstanding, and I really like to point at the TV to shoot arrows or throw the longshot. It felt pretty natural, immersive, and it was also easier to use that kind of weapon that way than using a joystick.

I found the story quite interesting. I loved the fact that the universe of this game was a lot darker. I found Midna to be a really fun character, and I found her to be a sexy chick in her human form (I had to say it). It's been a long time I played it, but I don't remember any dull boss fights.

I just passed OoT for the Xth time, and I'm in Majora's Mask right now, playing it for the first time. Both games are fun, but I think I prefered Twilight Princess :)

Hymn'

EDIT: Oh, and re-visiting the temple of time in ruins was surely one of my most appreciated moments in my gaming experience.

The way I saw it the first time I played it, it had a ton of epic moments (all the horse-back stuff, and I think I had too much fun with Link's "sheathing" animation). It was certainly fun to play, but as you got into the story if felt almost dragged out and awkward as it kept going. The City in the Sky was just too much of a stretch, and didn't seem to fit well at all with the story. I didn't think too much of Ganondorf's presence being out-of-place though.

Edit: @the above post, the time-jump was another awkward thing, they could have just as easily done a dungeon in the ruins. Why they didn't is a surprise to me. Just think about it: how would a giant spider hundreds of years in the past have a part of a mirror that was only recently split? It just doesn't make sense, even for Zelda games.

M

matersword

i was really disapointed when gannondorf made an appearence. i wouldve liked him to have depth like zant rather than throwing him in at the end like they did.

R

Rovin

I loved Twilight Princess. I loved the way the game looked and played. The gameplay was near perfect if not completely perfect, especially the part's where youre riding Epona. Another thing that I loved about it was how it reminded me of the Lord of The Rings movies, which I'm a big fan of. I also liked how the characters were alot more 3D than in previous games. Not to mention that the unlockable sword moves were awesome. I think that the only reason some people may not like it is because it's just not as nostalgic as some of the older games and it needs some time to grow on us. The overworld was massive and I liked that alot. Also, Ganondorf is one of the best video game villians of all time and a staple of the Zelda series. I had no problem with him being in the game. Plus, we all have to admit that the last boss fight with him was one of the most epic Zelda moments. So no it was not a dissapointment.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I was hardly disappointed at all, in fact it's currently my favourite Zelda title. It felt like a very epic and expansive game and I was able to sink 65 hours into it total on one save file. (This included random Epona riding, thorough exploring, 100% completion and a lot of fishing, of crouse!) It's got great graphics, a soundtrack I thoroughly enjoy, expansive environments, some of my favourite new characters and even two boss battles that I enjoy the most in the series.

I understand some people's complaints with the title, but at the same time others are truly unfounded. I find most of the harsh naysayers really don't have a reason as to why, which is my biggest problem. They just feel it wasn't what they wanted, but then what they did want is pretty much laid out before them. It's got better graphics, it's got bigger environments, it's even expanded and tweaked on elements supposedly "perfected" in the N64 titles such as the now dated Epona riding mechanic from OoT. I've got into many a discussion with people about why they dislike the game and it seems to just boil down to the inclusion of Ganondorf. While I had no problem with it, I can understand why people did, but I don't see it as a reason to dislike an entire game. It disappoints me that people will hate on the game for this sole reason, and don't ever seem to find one other thing they dislike about it.

I think in the end it really boils down to the whole lot of us as Zelda fans are hard to please. We always want one thing and when we get it we want another forgetting we got what we asked for to begin with. When we get that new thing, we want the original thing again. We just can't seem to enjoy what we have currently. I always find each Zelda title is more fondly enjoyed once the next one comes out. In the rear-view mirror, they are all classics, but when they're currently with us they're scrutinized beyond reason. This is evident in the current buzz about Skyward Sword. For example, many people say TP's graphics were too muddy and WW's were better. So, they gave SS TP's graphics with WW's colour scheme, and everyone says it's not dark enough now. (I've seen photoshopping of SS's screen to look like TP's from the same people who've hated TP's graphics.) I imagine by the time SS releases, TP will get more of the love it will deserve as we find things to hate about SS and say "I wish it were more like TP in _____ respect".

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Another thing I want to point out is the point of Twilight Princess. The whole point of it was to be a nostalgic game for those of us who played OoT and for us to dig into a very in depth Zelda story. I believe the gameplay lacks in difficulty because Nintendo wanted players to focus more on their story than being stuck for hours on one part of the game. And because it is a throwback to OoT, of course Ganondorf is gonna be in the game. What shocks me is the lack of Sheikah, but that's a conversation for another topic.
For people who don't like these elements, I can't blame them. You like what you like and you don't what you don't. But for people who say it was a bad game because of these, or even a bad Zelda game, remember that this was Nintendo's purpose and it pleased many a fans to have a thought out continuation of OoT. If you're game sends the message you want it to, while entertaining a good mass of it's audience, does that not make it a good game?

I'm not saying people have to like it, but some recognition is in order. I hate Conker's Bad Fur day, but I would be straight up lying if I said it was a bad game considering it brought out the best of the N64. If Twilight Princess had elements you didn't prefer, can you atleast admit it was a great experience for people who do like that stuff?

(PS. I too found the City in the Sky to be wwwwaaayyy too tedious and long, but I'm starting to think that it was actually in preparation for the story of SS. I know, I'm really late on that :P)

Last edited:

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
Wow, I can't believe how many relies this got and how many people replied to this, I really think that this is the best game in the franchise, I mean it had a lot of unique temples, sometimes that was bad ( City in the Sky ) other were unique in an awesome way like the Cannons in Snowpeak Ruins. This also had a really cool transformation that was easy to turn into and was a fast way of travel, If you didn't have the horse whistle that is. It also had the best free roam area. I can't tell you how many times I went and did drive bys on Epona with bomb arrows. The cave of ordeals was super fun challenging and ......not very rewarding, but I digress. I can't thank everyone enough, especially Kybyrian for posting an article about this on the front page, I am so new here and I can't believe everyone actually thought good of this thread!

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Disappointment?!?!?!?! No way! I'm on Arbiter's Grounds right now and I think it's great! Not as good as Ocarina of Time, but I still think it's amazing! I was apprehensive at first; I didn't like how dark it was, but I've embraced it. I really like the plot, the characters (Midna especially), and the gameplay's awesome! I don't think it's a disappointment at all!

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Disappointment? No. I was and am still very fond of Twilight Princess, I enjoy the environments and I really liked the story. I even really enjoyed waiting for the game, I know we had to wait forever but in the end it got really fun just waiting for the game and talking about it constantly on forums (classic Nsider anyone?). End the end I would say the game was very enjoyable and worth the wait, however I do have one complaint about it-I hate how it divided the fan-base I mean the game is nowhere near realistic and yet ST, PH, and now SS are shunned because they chose to be of a different graphical style than TP. If anything I don't hate the game I hate how people seem to think every Zelda game needs to look just like it.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's a great game overall, but it was FAR too easy, and the boss fights were FAR too disappointingly easy. Not to mention the very limited gameplay. There are FAR too many artificial boundries in unnecessary places. It was a good game, but at the same time a dissapointment...

I feel conflicted.

...Oh well.

Ill put my 2 rupees in this thread just because i can...
I wasn't really disappointed with twilight princess it was actually that game that got me back into the series. Heck i didn't even know anything about it until my father bought it for Christmas back in 2006 and after 3 weeks of playing it section at a time i grew fond of the game. Ever since then i have 100 percented it 2 times and beaten it 10+ times. Anyway back to the thread, when i first played the game i wasn't much of a zelda player i only played windwaker and ocarina of time back then so i couldn't see how it was too easy or anything. now that i have played it tons of times i have better opinions on the game.

First off im not disappointed but i am a little saddened by what the game could have been and what it is now. The First complaint i heard is the huge holes in the story's plot, i haven't noticed these holes and i believe it had no holes, but what do i know im not a storyteller or anything. The next complaint i hear is how easy the game is, yes now im older i believe it is easy but back then i struggled with the game (mostly the puzzles) and i found it rather difficult. In my overall opinion i have to say the game is good i don't a problem with it, sure it could have been better but people were in demand for it and Nintendo felt rushed to get the game onto the store shelves.

Twilight Princess is a great game! I love it, the graphics fit the story and theme very well, and the gameplay, on the Wii, works well. The temples were exciting and sometimes challenging. I feel that many peoples' opinions-myself included- have been skewed by negative perceptions of forums such as these. The game is definitely not at good as Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time, but it iss still an excellent game that does not deserve to be deemed a "disappointment".

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
One thing I loved about the game was the final boss, and I mean the final final final final boss, last form. We can all agree that it was fun and super epic. I can already see people typing "It was too easy" But so was OoT's and WW's and those were all epic last battles. TP had the best though. An epic arena sword fight against ganon after he destroys the castle and its raining. How epic can you get?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't think it's right to call any game a disappointment unless it has bugs or glitches that prevent you from enjoying it, or something MAJOR wrong with it. TP doesn't have any of those things... granted, I wasn't a fan of the graphical style, but I could see the merit in it. I wasn't a fan of the story, but it's better than the story in many video games.

I did not like TP, but that doesn't mean it was a bad game. It just wasn't my cup of tea. It would be awful to say the game was a disappointment, because it's really not that different from the other 3D Zelda games. The gameplay was just as good.

I think that people might just be expecting too much from the Zelda series... which is why they're always disappointed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom