• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Does Twilight Princess Deserve to Be Called a Disappointment?

Poste

Servant To Zant
I got The Legend of zelda first but i wasnt such a fan then, but then i got TP and that pretty much did it for me. But i was dissapointed with how you defeated Ganondorf with the fishing rod, that was kinda dumb

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I got The Legend of zelda first but i wasnt such a fan then, but then i got TP and that pretty much did it for me. But i was dissapointed with how you defeated Ganondorf with the fishing rod, that was kinda dumb

Excuse me? I don't remember that? Is it POSSIBLE to beat him with the fishing rod? I used backslices mostly, but I don't know, that's why I ask.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The only thing wrong that was any sort of significant in Twilight Princess was the difficulty. Things were too easy. But it hardly makes it a disappointment. There's more to a game than just how hard it is.

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
Excuse me? I don't remember that? Is it POSSIBLE to beat him with the fishing rod? I used backslices mostly, but I don't know, that's why I ask.

You can distract him with it not kill him. I LOVED the final fight. It was what Wind waker's should have been only Wind waker had a better finishing kill.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
IMO, TP is the third best "Zelda" game of the series. I consider it higher than Majora's Mask and that's my favorite game. It incorporates all the good things about Zelda games (an in depth story, problem solving, lots of characters, overworld and whatnot). It also incorporate whats to come in Zelda with new gameplay. And I thought it was absolutely brilliant how hints from OoT was implemented. I hear people say that this concept made the game less like a Zelda game and I call them out on that. TP was an exteremly good combination of classic Zelda with next gen Zelda.

My biggest complaint with TP, I've said it before and I'll say it again, is the lack of Dark Link. I cannot stress enough that the darkest game in the Zelda series should have had DARK LINK!!! And not just as a simple camio in some freaky story. Zant's castle had no mini boss. Dark Link could have had an interesting history, a great role in the game, and a fight scene with Link in Zan't Castle. Especially since Link's sword was fused with light I mean come on it's just begging for Dark Link to fight it!!!

Huff... puff... It's okay. I'm good.

Other than that, there are other things I could have been without but nothing that made it a horrible game or horrible Zelda game.

David

But you called me here...
^ There isn't much that I can add to Random Person's post. I agree with it completely, except for the third best game of the series. It was good, just not that good to me.

But, I love the game. It is probably the game, after Ocarina of Time, that I have beaten the most. I love the story, the game play is fun, and it incorporates many of the themes that were used in the older games. It is a great addition to the series that deserves to be put high on a pedestal of awesomeness.

And for those of you that didn't like it, might I recommend playing it again and only focusing on the things that make it good? Its no fun to play a game and point out its flaws. Few games in the world don't have flaws. Unfortunately, Twilight Princess has its flaws. Most games do. It might be good for you to play games with an optimistic view, at least once, to understand why people like it. I know I have, and it really helps me appreciate more games.

No, I do not think that it should be called a disappointment. It was a good game, and a good Zelda game too.

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
Twilight Princess is one of the best games of the 2000's. Many reviewers have given it great scores and some have even called it the best Zelda (although I wouldn't go that far). So, I guess I fail to see how that's a disappointment.

I enjoyed my time with TP and think it was a great addition to the series.

J

jbd9187

I love Twilight Princess! I'm a huge zelda fan, and I think it was the best game to date.

M

MushroomBoy64

No offense, but why would you think Twilight Princess would be such a disappointment? It obviously isn't. There's not even a fingerprint in the game that makes it look disappointing.

zachev2kool

Hero of Winds
Twilight Princess was the game that got me into the Zelda series, and I have to say that if I wasn't completely pleased with the game, I wouldn't have tried the others. I really felt that it was an excellent addition to the series and wasn't really lacking in any area, some could have just been enhanced, such as the Twilight Palace dungeon. Story line, graphics, music, and everything else were very good in my eyes, I don't see why it's critiqued so harshly by some.

Compared to the first trailers. yes tp is kind of a dissapoinment.
And that is the main mistake nintendo made and it looks like they learned from that so that is good.
but if you compare tp with the other zelda games it is a big improvement in graphics controls etc.
but what tp lacked was originality and difficulty.
it was way too easy , even the parts between dungeons and normally on these parts i get stuck.
You can tell that they did wanted to make an original story (with the twili and stuff) but probably because they had to cut a lot of things they went the save way and took elements from other zelda games (especially a link to the past)
And i know there is always some kind of twist in zelda but this time it was just to please the oot fans.
But then if there is a master sword you can expect to fight a giant pig monster ( i am not saying ganon because of spirit tracks)
same with the triforce,,if that is in the game you can expect all three parts of it.

I disliked Twilight Princess, greatly. And I have only one reason for this: For the only time (that I can recall) the Zelda team wanted their game to be something.

Now, allow me to explain. They made Twilight Princess to accomplish one goal: to make a game more epic than Ocarina of Time. With this, a lot of things seemed forced. For me, the story was the one that seemed the most forced. While the story may be epic when you dig deeper into it, Ocarina of Time's story was fantastic no matter what angle you looked at. If you looked at it as a casual gamer and didn't look into why anyone did anything, it was still great. If you dug deep into the characters, tried to see the world from their perspective, it was practically flawless.

Twilight Princess, however, seemed to try and use nostalgia instead of story to make the game great, throwing Ganon in there just for kicks, giving you familiar faces and places to make you feel "right at home", so to speak. Twilight Princess didn't feel unique enough to me. Phantom Hourglass I loved, despite all the hatred from other gamers, because it was unique. The stylus controls were fun to play with, the new characters and places made me feel like I was getting to know a new world, new people in the game. That's probably why Majora's Mask was my favorite Zelda game. It was a new world with reused people, but given a different name and story, so they seem familiar, but you still have to get to know them again.

In addition, pardon me for just throwing out my opinion here, especially because it's partially irrellivant, but am I the only one that thinks that the story would have been much better had Ganon been introduced, with Zant seeming equal in power to Ganon, but as you slowly play through the game, slowly, you realize that Zant isn't anything more than a puppet for Ganon, but he doesn't realize this. Then the end of the game comes, he snaps his own neck WE ALL WIN.

Also, I played Twilight Princess on the Wii. They had motion controls. I'm no fan of motion controls. I feel motion controls distract from what you're actually doing. It focuses on the movement, rather than figuring out this puzzle. The reason why Phantom Hourglass was different was because the touch controls weren't trying to emulate that you were Link, rather that you were controlling him. Buttons. Goddammit, give me buttons. I should've bought the GameCube version. I would've liked it much better. The Motion controls also seemed very forced, as they built it for the GameCube, but ported it to the Wii, so it wasn't built for Motion Controls.

That's why I'm curious about Skyward Sword. I'm a button lover, but this was the first Zelda Wii game that was built with the motion controls, rather than added in. Will I still want my buttons, or will they execute it properly? I don't know, but I might not even buy the game. Zelda has made some mistakes recently, and I'm starting to enjoy their games less and less.

G

grievous3

NO!

I got Twilight Princess recently, but I have played both the original LOZ and OOT before I played TP and I was thoroughly impressed by it. I'm still a die-hard OOT fan, but I did enjoy Twilight Princess a lot. The only problem I had was that compared to OOT, TP was much easier. Besides that, the graphics, the storyline, and the gameplay were all very impressive to me. :)

S

SuperTriforce

I really did like Twilight Princess, It seemed like it was the spiritual sequel to Ocarina Of Time. Plus it did give us one of the best new Zelda characters, Midna!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom