• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Link have parents?

According to OoT Link's mother is trying to escape from someone (something like that) and shes runs into the forest (I think the Deku Tree refers to it as the Prohibited Forest). She leaves her child (Link) there and leaves the forest but gets killed when she leaves. That would explain why Link doe snot have a fairy and can grow up later on in the game because he is actually a hylian snuck into the forest

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
In the actual Ocarina of Time storyline, the Deku Tree mentions Link's mother bringing him to the forest to save him because the Great War was going on. She had been injured in some way during the war and died shortly after she had dropped him off at the forest.

As for his dad, I'm pretty sure the only place it made reference to him was in the manga or comic of OoT. He was portrayed as a Hylian Knight who was killed during the Great War.

All other Zelda games don't really give any reference to Link's actual parents, as he is seen living with other relatives...(uncle, grandmother, grandfather) My belief is that we have the original Link, the Hero of Time, who is supposidly the first Link of all the other generations of Link throughout the series. (aside from those who believe MC to take place even before OoT) But anyway, according to the storylines of the games, each generation of Link is from the same bloodline as the Hero of Time, or the previous Link.....Which would mean that his parents, or father at least, was also from this same bloodline but was not destined to save Hyrule or wherever the place was at the time, or just wasnt destined to be a Hero at all. So, they become irrelevant to the story, and to avoid confusion in people thinking that Link's dad was another Link, they just let him live with another relative.

i disagree with this. i dont think that people would get confused if link had parents. most of the games take place a LONG time after the previous game so no one should be confused anyway. i think the reason they dont have Links parents is to sort of make him seem like a tragic hero. he lost his parents when he was little, but despite this he went on to do great things.

another thing, i dont think every Link is related to a previous Link, seeing as how in WW, the OoT Link left that timeline right after he saved it, therefor he would have no offspring.

final saying, MC is his grandfather, ALTTP is his uncle, WW is his grandmother, i think in TP he was an orphan, in OoT his mom dropped him off with the deku tree then died.

as for his father, i dont remember where i read this, but each Link (except for WW and PH one in my opinion) is a descendant of a Hylian Knight, so that would explain his fathers origins. his father probably died while protecting the kingdom as a hylian knight.

Kazumi

chagy
In oot I heard Link's father was a knight of Hyrule and died in the war before oot. And I also read in the oot manga Link's mother had a horrible sickness and took link to the Deku Tree and the deku tree took him in as a kokiri because he was destined to be the hero of time. Link's mother died moments later from her sickness after delivering link to the deku tree. Also im pretty sure Saria and the Deku Tree were the only ones who new he was hylian.

I believe the reason none of the Zelda games give him parents is to make him more of a "random hero." To detach him from the world, a little anyway. That's my theory.

OoT, and the following games have always given Link more of a role as a character connected to the world, at least more than the previous games in the series.

This is all my own thoughts, though. I don't really know what happened to Link's mom... I still think it's possible he's related to the Royal Family... but no one ever seems to agree with me...

Kazumi

chagy
I always thought about the possibilty of Link being like Zelda's cousine or somthing like that. Or maybe even her brothero_O It seems completly logical I mean they are so similiar. They both have blue eyes, blond hair, are crossdresers:D, are very good archers, epona likes both of them (people say epona only listens to link, zelda and malon), they have pieces of the Triforce!!! Its perfectly logical and I would support it but I am a major ZeldaxLink fan! (and when I say major I mean major!:D) so thats one of the only reasons why I dont support you fully! Did you know there is a whole website full of "zelink" moments from games, manga and the episodes:D (even if the episodes dont count)

Whef!! that was a long speach!

I always thought about the possibilty of Link being like Zelda's cousine or somthing like that. Or maybe even her brothero_O It seems completly logical I mean they are so similiar. They both have blue eyes, blond hair, are crossdresers:D, are very good archers, epona likes both of them (people say epona only listens to link, zelda and malon), they have pieces of the Triforce!!! Its perfectly logical and I would support it but I am a major ZeldaxLink fan! (and when I say major I mean major!:D) so thats one of the only reasons why I dont support you fully! Did you know there is a whole website full of "zelink" moments from games, manga and the episodes:D (even if the episodes dont count)

Whef!! that was a long speach!
Hm. I've never been one to pair Link up with anyone in particular. I used to go with LinkxRuto, mainly because he sorta promised. But then someone pointed it out to me that she didn't really ask him, she just tricked him... all in all I think I'm more for LinkxMalon... I don't know.

There were several aspects of OoT where I thought it seemed like they were siblings... but I never could really find any agreement on various sites and forums.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
Okay, I know what your thinkin' "duh, of course!" But let's think for a moment. Have they EVER been introduced. Do we ever meet them? NO! Sure there was the Deku tree... but he was not the true father. And other times... Lives with grandfather, grandmother, no one, etc. NEVER HAVE WE MET HIS PARENTS. Why? Think about it. Please, tell us your theories. All are welcome.

Now my Zelda knowledge isn't really the best at midnight, but I think the only time we've ever actually seen one is in ALTTP which would be his uncle.

Although there have been quite a few mentions of actual parents like in OoT. We probably haven't met them I would think due to the James Bond that keeps popping into my head with the parents are dead, you stay more emotionally connected to the job at hand.

Or maybe just likes to kill them. Eh.

Link would have to have parents. Where would be of come from? We know he's not a Kokiri, and I doubt Hylians have any kind of genetic project.
I also think that saying he was created directly by the goddesses is pushing it.

However, it is true that his parents are never brought up or shown. Only in Ocarina of Time it is confirmed that his mother left in the Kokiri forest. His father is said in the manga to have died in a war, and I think that is a possibility.
As for other games, I'm not too sure. They could of also died or something of the like. Or, maybe there was an event in which one died and the other left, or both were forced to leave.

Claire

The Geekette
In OoT, we know that Link had a mother. Also, knowing he had an uncle in ALttP, we must assume that he had a mother or father, a sibling to that uncle or aunt. We have never encountered his parents in game, and he has never had parents shown at all. Such as, in Wind Waker, he only had a grandmother. By this information, we can assume that every Link has had parents. Perhaps we can assume that Link, in every game, has reached the age of manhood and no longer needs to live with his parents - or perhaps there is a specific reason why both of his parents aren't ever 100% explained.

LoZfan

Shut up and go away
Okay, I know what your thinkin' "duh, of course!" But let's think for a moment. Have they EVER been introduced. Do we ever meet them? NO! Sure there was the Deku tree... but he was not the true father. And other times... Lives with grandfather, grandmother, no one, etc. NEVER HAVE WE MET HIS PARENTS. Why? Think about it. Please, tell us your theories. All are welcome.

hmmm. you have a point.. however... have you read the OoT manga?... we see a woman that looks like link in the face.. possibly that was Link's mom... Also, The Deku tree shrub said that a HYLIAN woman.. was fatally wounded and left HER CHILD in the care of the Original Deku tree... but again that's a Theory all the same

Not having any mention of Link's parents is a recurring theme in the Zelda series. It's almost always an uncle. Occasionally it's a grandparent like in WW.

OoT was the only time I can think of that there was any mention of even one of his parents.

EponaOwns

The Real Master of Epona
In OOT, his mother was the one I believe who took Link to the forest to protect him, and I believe she died because Hylians can't live in the Kokiri Forest. (Minus Link, who was under the Deku Tree's protection). And I recall that Link's father was killed in the Great War.

In ALttP, the man he lives with is his uncle. I can't remember who it is in MC.

If hylians cant live in the kokiri forest then wouldnt link die? and didnt his mother die of a fire?

If hylians cant live in the kokiri forest then wouldnt link die? and didnt his mother die of a fire?

I think the Deku Tree said that Link's mother was "mortally wounded" or something like that. And I think Linkman8 was confusing that with the Lost Woods, where apparently if you stay too long, you'll turn into a Stalfo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom