• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dissapointed with the Amount of Room to Explore?

and to add on to my last reply, they should really make a sequal to majoras mask, or make the next game like it, it was def the best zelda game yet, you cant even compare oot and mm to another zelda game, by far the most stuff to do, they just need to make the storyline longer, or longer and more fun sidequests even after you beat the main storyline. or a multyplayer storyline if that doesnt sounds to weird...

Over9000Gingers

I want fries.
Okay, ive never played a zelda game that i didnt like, but i really did love Skyward sword, and there were plentyof things to do from flying to different islands in the sky to adventuring to the three regions on land, however, there was not a whole lot to do after you explore places for the first time.....In majoras mask, you could play over and over and honestly play for months and still find new things all the time, wind waker has such a huge map with so many things to do i cant complain, ocarina of time was very adverse in gameplay between times and dungeons and twilight princes had a pretty large map with the wolf and human thing, and dont get me wrong skyward is great but i get an empty feeling when i get done playing it. I cant exactly explain it but there wasnt enough places like goron city, or zoras domain from the older games, they should have put more exploration factors into the game, like many of you mentioned secret caves and secrets in general. Yes there were some secrets like the drawings on the wall, sidequest and little tidbits here and there, but it was like the first time you explored an area, it was pretty much as it seemed. I liked the concept of going into an area, leave comeback and unlock a new section of the first area, but it just lacked exploration qualities. If i could ever talk to a zelda game director or whatever, id really like to tell them to make a game with new and old zelda game concepts, larger maps with plenty of stuff to explore and secrets to figure out, where you can replay and find new things.

Just to elaborate off of this:
SS is my most beloved Zelda game. I don't feel that the flying-exploration was bad. It was just as good as OoT and TP. Actually better than TP. Although I hear about caves and stuff in TP that you can explore that I never took the time to look for since the ginormous Hyrule Field. But for now, if you want real exploration in a Zelda game, just purchase the original from WiiShop or whatever. We probably won't get any real exploration in Zelda until the WiiU. The surface world was fun to explore the first time, but you're totally right about it lacking exploration qualities. If the surface was bigger and we didn't have the sky, then I'm sure it would have plenty and be like MMxLoZxALttP....

And if I was a Zelda director I would do the same as you! haha
I'd keep motion controls though. They're AMAZING! until the pointer glitches out

Honestly, the Zelda producers could have fixed this problem with relative ease and simplicity. Point blank, the sky was a complete dry and bland area, even more so than Twilight Princess' overworld it seemed. All Zelda had to do was create more islands to explore, and give the islands an actual purpose ther than to just go, get a chest, and never come back. Skyloft itselft had a lot of fun things to do, but the other islands were completley empty. Instead of compacting everything into one major island, spread it out onto multiple islands to make it more enjoyable to explore.

I compare the potential of the islands in the sky to the islands in The Wind Waker. In WW, you had several small islands (with the exception of a few) spread across a vast overworld. Each island had an equal amount of stoof that you could do. Mainly, this consisted of completing a puzzle to achieve a reward. I liked this idea, but I wish that the islands had some actual houses or people to chat with. Now going back to Skyward Sword, the islands had rewards on them, but their was no puzzle to go along with them. If the islands had people on them with rewards that required puzzles to complete to achieve them, I would have actually enjoyed flying around the sky. Skyward Sword had so much potential with this, but they blew it in my opinion.

Over9000Gingers

I want fries.
Honestly, the Zelda producers could have fixed this problem with relative ease and simplicity. Point blank, the sky was a complete dry and bland area, even more so than Twilight Princess' overworld it seemed. All Zelda had to do was create more islands to explore, and give the islands an actual purpose ther than to just go, get a chest, and never come back. Skyloft itselft had a lot of fun things to do, but the other islands were completley empty. Instead of compacting everything into one major island, spread it out onto multiple islands to make it more enjoyable to explore.

I compare the potential of the islands in the sky to the islands in The Wind Waker. In WW, you had several small islands (with the exception of a few) spread across a vast overworld. Each island had an equal amount of stoof that you could do. Mainly, this consisted of completing a puzzle to achieve a reward. I liked this idea, but I wish that the islands had some actual houses or people to chat with. Now going back to Skyward Sword, the islands had rewards on them, but their was no puzzle to go along with them. If the islands had people on them with rewards that required puzzles to complete to achieve them, I would have actually enjoyed flying around the sky. Skyward Sword had so much potential with this, but they blew it in my opinion.

There weren't puzzles on the islands because you had to find the Goddess cubes already to get the chests on the islands. SS's sky overworld was an improvement to TP's Hyrule Field. True, there wasn't much to do other than the pumpkin bar and the mini games. They could've added more to do but I'm just thankful flying was fun and quick compared to sailing. WW did have more to do, no doubt about that though.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
It's clear we all want Zelda Wii U to have a huge over world, I really want to see Hyrule field in 1080p HD graphics.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I think SS really doesnt have much to explore & is somewhat linear. It barely has much of a overworld, but it make up for it by having alot of things to react with. It reminds me of Termina, where you had to talk to & interact with many residents to get all the mask in the game. The same way is with the graditude crystals in Skyloft. I think they should always have it like that, because TP & OoT lacked it (not saying that those games arent awesome too).

A

Artificial

I agree to a certain extent. I feel like the sky allowed for a lot of exploring, but they didn't give much to do. Other then looking for goddess chests and a few random buildings here and there. I feel like they could have gave a little town elsewhere in the sky. To give it less of a empty landscape with rocks scattered around.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I would of preferred more side quests, to be honest.
Maybe a larger dungeon area to explore?
I'm not sure, most of it was pretty acceptable, others seemed very short.
Therefore it varies on location.

Eeveechan said:
It barely has much of a overworld, but it make up for it by having alot of things to react with. It reminds me of Termina, where you had to talk to & interact with many residents to get all the mask in the game. The same way is with the graditude crystals in Skyloft. I think they should always have it like that, because TP & OoT lacked it (not saying that those games arent awesome too).

I disagree with this. Sorry. :(

Skyward Sword had a ton of characters to interact with moreso than any previous installment since Majora's Mask, however, the development of even the most minor character was handled much better in the late N64 title. Majora's Mask had a world where you needed to care about its inhabitants as the moon was 72 hours away from extinguishing the world of Termina and all life on it. In Skyward Sword, on the other hand, few characters were able to establish the same emotional tie as the player. The obvious exceptions here are Groose, Ghirahim, Fi (as much as I hate her mechanical tone), and Scrapper (for the love of hilarity <3).

Linkwolf

Worship the Strangeness
They should add more place to explore because it just kinda repeats itself in each game :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom