• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Biggoron Sword

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
So is it just me or did you all love this sword too? I can remember getting this sword and then taking the time to go back to the Fire Temple to get my Hylian Shield eaten by a Like-Like (I got it back of course but didn't equip it) just so I could run around and look awesome. Hah. What did you guys think of the Biggoron Sword? How often did you use it? I would be surprised to see someone who did what I did.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I do love the Biggoron's Sword. I never got my shield eaten by a Like-Like on purpose, but I pretty much have never beaten OoT without it. I usually get it as early as possible, too. It's easiest to get it after the Forest Temple, after you've obtained the Bow. But if you're stubborn, you can get it right after getting the Hookshot, so long as you have Din's Fire (and Epona, of course).

Why? Well, the main impediment to getting the Biggoron's Sword early is killing the Skullwalltulas on the wall right after the area with boulders. You need a ranged attack to deal with them, or you can't scale the wall.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I also love the Biggoron's sword, but it feels weird to not have the Hylian or Mirror shield. On normal play throughs I get the bow in the Forest Temple, then the sword, and finally finish the temple. I've tried with just the hookshot, I could still make it with plenty of time to spare, but it's not worth it.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I love the Biggoron Sword, though I primarily use it on mini bosses & bosses only. On my normal playthrough I do about 1/3 of the Biggoron side quest prior to the Forest Temple (I head to the temple after getting the saw from the Kokiri girl in the Lost Woods), then do the rest of it after beating the Forest Temple. That's a convenient way for me to do it since you're atop Death Mountain when you get the sword, so afterward you can just drop down to Goron Village and meet Darunia's son to get to the Fire Temple.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I feel like one of the few who doesn't like the Biggoron Sword that much. It's OK for beating up on random trash, but when it comes to battles that require any kind of skill, I always switch back over to the Master Sword, because I like the use of the shield.

I feel like one of the few who doesn't like the Biggoron Sword that much. It's OK for beating up on random trash, but when it comes to battles that require any kind of skill, I always switch back over to the Master Sword, because I like the use of the shield.
you're not alone. i pretty much don't like the biggorons for the reasons you stated. i usually like to block with my shield and strike with the sword. besides, the biggorons sword always felt a little awkward to me:S

Kybyrian

I think that the Biggoron's Sword was an excellent edition to the game, and we should have more equipment like this. It was great going through the trade sequence for it, and it was an absolutely awesome weapon. The sword was huge and dealt twice the damage of the Master Sword. It was my favorite sword to equip while using the Mirror Shield and the Goron Tunic. Made it a little easier on me while running through some places, because I could just slice the enemy a couple times and get it over with right away. It was also great for some of the bosses because it made it so much easier. Half the hits to defeat the boss? I'll take that any day. The shield was a small price to pay to wield it, in my opinion. I never really used the shield anyway.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
you're not alone. i pretty much don't like the biggorons for the reasons you stated. i usually like to block with my shield and strike with the sword. besides, the biggorons sword always felt a little awkward to me:S
I'm the same way. I've gotten the sword once and that was just to say that I got it. I was never a fan of it, so I always just stick with the trusty ol' Master Sword. Much more reliable and easier to use in my opinion.

That said, I am a fan of the trading sequence to get the Sword. I thought that was great fun.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
That said, I am a fan of the trading sequence to get the Sword. I thought that was great fun.

I agree, although I don't love the Biggoron Sword, the trading sequence was definitely a lot of fun! It's one of the only times we get to meet and talk to some of the characters who weren't part of the main plot, so it's a cool sequence.

I LOVE the Biggoron Sword. I just love running around dungeons swinging this massive blade around and screaming at the top of my lungs haha. I always get it right after getting the Hookshot and Epona (never thought of using Din's Fire to kill the skullwalltulas, but with the Hookshot I always end up with like 30 seconds left over so there's really no need). I also love wielding it shieldless with the Goron Tunic. Red's my favorite color, so I've always played the game wearing it the whole way through (even the Forest Temple). On my first playthrough of the game, I ended up losing my Hylian Shield to the Like Like in Ganondorf's Shadow Wing, and the look just kinda stuck. Since then, I've always played that way, since the shield is really pointless anyway. It's also trained me to play without a shield in general, so in reruns of the game or like in MM, I always forget I have the shield.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I'm a very tactical Zelda player, and I love to have as much variety in my combat as possible, so I loved the Biggoron Sword. That's not to say I used it all the time, though; I used it mostly on enemies with larger weak points or that were particularly slow moving, so I don't have to risk getting hit. There are also just certain types of enemies and scenarios that call for the shield, and others for the Biggoron Sword. On large groups of enemies that weren't projectile-based, I would generally use the Biggoron Sword. I like to switch things up a lot, so I use the Master Sword and Biggoron Sword equally, I'd say. I didn't want the Master Sword to feel obsolete. ;) That isn't to say I relied on the shield much, I used it more as a precaution. I was always much more of a dodging person than a shielding person anyway, but I still used the shield on occasion.

OoT Spoilers(?)
That being said, I actually consciously decided not to use the Master Sword for the final phase of the final battle. I figured it wouldn't do any damage, because there was so much emphasis on the Master Sword being knocked away that I figured the Biggoron Sword wouldn't damage him at all. I think the Biggoron Sword actually stops doing damage to him at a certain point in the fight, though, to trick up the people who did think that the Master Sword was entirely obsolete.
So anyway, I pressed on with the majority of the fight with no sword, because I'd rather test out how to damage him without a sword, because it obviously had to able to be done, as the Biggoron Sword isn't a mandatory item. I fought him for about half an hour trying out all sorts of non-sword related shenanigans, eventually whittling down his health the hard way with bombs until I was prompted to pick up the Master Sword. :lol:

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I think the Biggoron Sword actually stops doing damage to him at a certain point in the fight, though, to trick up the people who did think that the Master Sword was entirely obsolete

Yeah, that's true. I've battled with the Biggoron Sword against Ganon for like, ever lol. It doesn't work after Zelda prompts you to go get the Master Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom