• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Am I the Only One?

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
So as pretty much all of you know by now, I am getting Twilight Princess for Christmas. The reasoning behind it is when I tried it for the first time I quit playing it once I got to the Goron Mines. Here's why.

When I first played the game I was 11 years old. I got to the Goron Mines and tried to pass the first room. I was trying to beat the game without any sort of help, so I didn't know that lava spurted out from below between the platforms. I hit the lava fountain and tumbled into the lava.

I saw Link screaming helplessly as he died in the lava. IT SCARRED ME FOR LIFE! IT WAS SO SAD!! I couldn't bear to see Link go through that pain! Especially since I was only 11 years old!

But I'm almost 17 now and a huge Zelda nerd, so I figured I need to beat the game and see what it's like. When I get to the Goron Mines though, I am following a guide for it to the LETTER so I don't have to watch Link die.

Am I the only one who thinks it's super sad to see that happen to Link? Am I just pathetic? Haha...I hope not.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I might be seen as a bit creepy for this, but I found a certain twinge of enjoyment when I heard Link scream as he mercilessly burned to death (or...respawn if he has hearts left).

Yes, you read that correctly: enjoyment. I'm not sure what it was, made it was the pitch of his scream? Whatever it was, it made me continue throwing Link into lava in the hopes that he would scream again. I found there were around 3 different clips he would use, interesting! xD

LinkIRL

Hero of Time
I might be seen as a bit creepy for this, but I found a certain twinge of enjoyment when I heard Link scream as he mercilessly burned to death (or...respawn if he has hearts left).

Yes, you read that correctly: enjoyment. I'm not sure what it was, made it was the pitch of his scream? Whatever it was, it made me continue throwing Link into lava in the hopes that he would scream again. I found there were around 3 different clips he would use, interesting! xD

O.O....

D:

I've always thought that it was kind of funny depending on how he fell in. The situation you described (getting hit with a lava spout, THEN falling in) is one of those instances that I would find funny. I grew up watching Toon Link shout and fly ten feet in the air with his pants on fire whenever he fell into lava, so I just sort of associated it with humour. When I really think about it, that is a pretty horrible thing to experience, but that never really affected me emotionally (other than making me laugh).

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I had been ripping people's spines out in Mortal Kombat and the like for a decade at that point, so no... not really disturbed. I think my actual reaction was something along the lines of "whoa... that's new"

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not really. It looks sorta comic. Like when Mario bounces in the lava in SM64.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Not gonna lie here, when I first saw that I laughed like an idiot because of how horrible it was, no wonder Twilight Princess is the only known Zelda game to be rated something other than E...that stuff's pretty bad. I did indeed laugh every time I fell in the lava though, partially because I clearly wasn't being cautious enough and partially because watching Link scream and sink was ridiculous, hahah.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
its alright to be freaked out by a game man, i remember i wouldnt play the original Splatterhouse games cuz of how creepy they were. hell when i was even younger Maniac Mansion scared me! i think it was the music, as ive notice when i got older im more emotional about music than anything, as i grew up playing Mortal Kombat, and was completely Numb to anything that was violent! its already been mentioned but nothing better than seeing Sub-Zero (favorite fighter BTW) rippin someones head off with their spine still attached. LOL i remember being a lil 8 to 10 year old kid seeing that and just laughed and screamed "dang, that even a lil too violent for me" so my dad comes in the room and says "im gonna regret buying you this today aint I' and as a smart *** lil kid i replied "only cuz you gotta get me the rest from here on out" LOL good times

And Lord Vain, your right, TP was rated 13+ wasnt it, i forgot all about that. to tell you the truth, everyone on this site hates on TP, and i find it rather disturbing, cuz Nintendo made ONE, thats ONE zelda title that was trying to cater to the age of most of their fan base and everyone hates. i for one LOVE TP and dont see what all the hate is about, i LOVE the dark tone, and the sadness it creates!

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Wow...I think you are the only one. My reaction when I saw it for the first time was more like "holy crap, that looks painful". Nowhere near mentally scarring. More realistic than flying 10 feet in the air with a flaming butt, now that I think about it.

I wasn't 11 when I first played it. But I think even if I was, it wouldnt scar me. The game of my childhood was Spyro, and Spyro reacts like SS Link and Mario to falling in lava, until his health runs out and he turns into a blackened burnt crisp of a dragon, then respawns at the last checkpoint. Seeing that as a preteen? "holy crap, that looks painful".

I think it varies with the person, but all in all, it's just a game.

I never felt any kind of remorse for Link's agonizing screams as he fell into the lava. but I did think "Fatality" and then a few seconds later a "wow! really?!" they put that in this game?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I found it so unnerving that I used it as fodder for a horror fanfic:

Burn
It's about Link falling into the lava in the Goron Mines and Midna trying to save his life. Link survives his plunge, but you may not have wanted him to. Don't click if you're squeamish.

*Looking at other responses* I can't believe you people! In Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, Link's lava-falls are pretty funny ("Mah biscuits are burnin'!") but in Twilight Princess? His lava-fall in that is HORRIBLE! I mean, maybe I'm a sensitive soul, but I was really horrified by it. Whenever I play that game, I try my very best to keep him from falling. And this is strange for me because *I like killing Link* out of boredom/just to see the different death-animations. Seriously, I will drown the boy, chuck him off cliffs and do all sorts of stuff just to see what this or that death-animation is like, or Game Over him when I've had enough hours on a game and am bored and want to shut off the game to do something else - but the lava death in TP - that one... I don't EVER do on purpose. I find his face and his screaming just too horrible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom