• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U Rumors

I think they're saying that because they somehow thought Link looked like a girl originally even though he didn't and all the salty fanboys started freaking out about the possibility of a female hero. That eventually evolved into the idea that we could also play as Linkle in Zelda U instead of just Link. That's my guess.

As they say in Mythbusters, "There's your problem!"

It doesn't help when you have quotes coming from the devs like "Link's not the most manly guy in the first place," or other such things. And the problem is Japanese culture and their views on androgyny. Westerners have become almost trained to think of androgyny as gender confused, and that's simply not how the Japanese use it in most cases. (They're usually pretty blatant when they do portray such a character.)

When you look at japanese games, literature, and other works, androgyny is usually used in male characters to characterize a boy who has room to grow, who hasn't really become a "man" yet. You see this all over Anime, because you get introduced to characters who haven't "grown" yet. They have their personal struggles they need to fulfill on the way to "manhood". The best analogy I can think of is that androgyny is how the Japanese portray a character like Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon.

I'd say if you want to get a really good idea that also puts it in easy context for a westerner to understand, read the SAO books. (****NOT THE MANGA!!!!**** The series began as a set of novels. The comics don't go into the context.) Anywho, in the novels Kirito is constantly agonizing about how he looks like a girl. That's why the Gun Gale Online thing hit him so hard (and funny). It was how he feared being seen!

Link has some "feminine" features because first off, the Japanese devs are working with a stereotypical Tolkien Elf look. (A friend of mine pointed out that Hyrule is supposedly a Tolkien elvish word.) But also, Link always starts out as a young guy who has a great, unrealized potential, usually becoming a hero. Weird thing is, none of his incarnations really ever struck me as looking "feminine", because his physical appearance reminds me of my dad and brothers, all of whom have sharp features but don't really look "feminine".

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
That sounds bad to me. 4 dungeons only? MM had 4 but it was a side game at the end of the day. This is a full blown 5 years in the making main entry and I dont expect anything less than 8 main dungeons.

What I like about Zelda is you are constantly doing different things, the game keeps things interesting, you are not doing the same thing for hours. Bigger dungeons that are 3 times bigger than standard dungeons sound tedious.

100 side dungeons sounds excessive when compared to 4 main. A heavy focus of Zelda is the story, loads of optional content and only 4 dungeons in the main quest seems far too side content focussed for my liking.
It really depends.
If they stick with only one theme the entire dungeon... Then yeah...

But if this is what I want: then it would be like the entire game of Metroid prime in a single dungeon. A single, interconnected area that has a variety of themes, gameplay elements, and different musical themes.

For example, what if they connected the Spirit Temple, to the Shadow Temple in OoT. Thematically, that would work perfectly in that you come to a grave tomb after a majestic ruined temple.

If they did Dungeons like that: where you can easily get lost, have amazing themes, tons of puzzles and enemies. Then, the whole 4 dungeons would be absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and really. Wind Waker really only had 4 dungeons. Forsaken fortress doesn't really count. That still made Wind Waker a main game, and an amazing game at that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It really depends.

But if this is what I want: then it would be like the entire game of Metroid prime in a single dungeon. A single, interconnected area that has a variety of themes, gameplay elements, and different musical themes.

For example, what if they connected the Spirit Temple, to the Shadow Temple in OoT. Thematically, that would work perfectly in that you come to a grave tomb after a majestic ruined temple.

If they did Dungeons like that: where you can easily get lost, have amazing themes, tons of puzzles and enemies. Then, the whole 4 dungeons would be absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and really. Wind Waker really only had 4 dungeons. Forsaken fortress doesn't really count. That still made Wind Waker a main game, and an amazing game at that.
Wind waker had Dragon roost, Forbidden Woods, Tower of the Gods, Earth Temple and Wind Temple. That is 5. There is also Forsaken Fortress and Ganons Tower which could be counted.

Wind Waker was also rushed and cut content to meet a deadline.

This new game has had more time spent on it than should be spent on a games development so it has no excuse to have less dungeons than Wind Waker.

Im fine with 4 main dungeons if they are meaty. This game will have a lot more going on, and specially such a vast world should have players more invested than your regular Zelda game. I imagine if i was a developer and i had put so much effort in the world around the dungeons i would like to motivate players to go outside dungeons.

Its silly to look at this game as a traditional Zelda game. Dungeons are not going to be the main course, at least not the only one.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Wind waker had Dragon roost, Forbidden Woods, Tower of the Gods, Earth Temple and Wind Temple. That is 5. There is also Forsaken Fortress and Ganons Tower which could be counted.

Wind Waker was also rushed and cut content to meet a deadline.

This new game has had more time spent on it than should be spent on a games development so it has no excuse to have less dungeons than Wind Waker.
But if the dungeons are way larger than we have ever seen in the series, then yeah. That does have an excuse.

That's like faulting Xenoblade Chronicles X for only having 5 main areas compared to Xenoblade's 15. Xenoblade X still has way more content than the original and more areas overall to explore because each area is way bigger. Is Xenoblade X a lazy effort? Hell no!

Even saying, if this rumor is true, if those 100 side dungeons are meaty as well. There is nothing to complain about really.

It really depends.

The only problem is this could take away from the significance of the dungeon as compared to the overworld. If there are only 4 dungeons, it really limits their possibilities and what importance it could have on the dungeon's lore and backstory. I'll use the dungeons you mentioned for example. The Spirit Temple is an ancient and majestic temple most likely used for worshipping the Goddess of Sand, and is entirely centered around the Gerudo religion. If the Shadow Temple, a Hylian and Sheikah grave most likely used for torturing victims during the Hylian Civil War. Why would a Gerudo religious site hold a Hylian/Sheikah torture area? The Gerudo weren't even technically considered official members of Hyrule because they hadn't sworn fealty to the King of Hyrule.

Also, the Metroid areas and caves are so large because those are the only existing areas of the game that are playable.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The only problem is this could take away from the significance of the dungeon as compared to the overworld. If there are only 4 dungeons, it really limits their possibilities and what importance it could have on the dungeon's lore and backstory. I'll use the dungeons you mentioned for example. The Spirit Temple is an ancient and majestic temple most likely used for worshipping the Goddess of Sand, and is entirely centered around the Gerudo religion. If the Shadow Temple, a Hylian and Sheikah grave most likely used for torturing victims during the Hylian Civil War. Why would a Gerudo religious site hold a Hylian/Sheikah torture area? The Gerudo weren't even technically considered official members of Hyrule because they hadn't sworn fealty to the King of Hyrule.

Also, the Metroid areas and caves are so large because those are the only existing areas of the game that are playable.
That's what those mini dungeons could be for. Much like how the Gerudo Fortress was a mini dungeon that expanded on Gerudo lore, and held a really awesome ancient artifact, the ice arrows.

So yeah. Having side dungeons doesn't necessarily mean it won't have story significance. There's room for both, and it's very true that some minidungeons could be required to go through the game, much like the ice cavern and bottom of the well were in OoT.

Say you have a large dungeon, and then you need the lense of truth, the hover boots, hook shot, and since rod to progress. Then you would need to go do those minidungeons to get the items necessary for completing a dungeon. Or, if you lack the necessary items, you just need to leave, and come back Metroid style.

Zelda U looks to be bigger than SS, WW, and TP combined times 10. This game has been in development for 6 years, which is three times the development time for Metroid Prime 2 and 3. I'm pretty sure they could make Metroid Prime sized dungeons if they wanted to, especially with current technology making it very easy to add content to games. Now, I'm not saying it should be as big. But maybe the size of Metroid Prime 3 planets.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I think they're saying that because they somehow thought Link looked like a girl originally even though he didn't and all the salty fanboys started freaking out about the possibility of a female hero. That eventually evolved into the idea that we could also play as Linkle in Zelda U instead of just Link. That's my guess.

Actually one of the recent rumors mentioned the possiblity of a female character. Given how recently Linkles been made official, I think people are just thinking that she's the likely candidate of this possible reality.

Of course, I'm sure it was totally necessary for you to insult anti-fem Link people to make this post, that isn't even really accurate.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
But if the dungeons are way larger than we have ever seen in the series, then yeah. That does have an excuse.

That's like faulting Xenoblade Chronicles X for only having 5 main areas compared to Xenoblade's 15. Xenoblade X still has way more content than the original and more areas overall to explore because each area is way bigger. Is Xenoblade X a lazy effort? Hell no!

Even saying, if this rumor is true, if those 100 side dungeons are meaty as well. There is nothing to complain about really.
Yes there is something to complain about. The main focus should be on the main game, not the side content. Mini dungeons sound optional, I don't want a Zelda game made up of mainly optional content.

The only acceptable way would be to have multiple mini dungeons necessary to complete the story. Like in OOT we have the well and Ice Cavern. In Zelda U there would perhaps be 12 essential mini dungeons.

The main focus should be on whatever they are set out to do, its not decided by us, we are not the creators. Mini dungeons can be excellent to drive the narrative forward, the lore and enrich the exploration factor. The remains of an ancient civilization, story delivered through gameplay and our desire to know more about hyrule. And you get out of it what you put in.

If you need something to be mandatory for you to enjoy it... then perhaps you are not really into these kinds of games to begin with.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The main focus should be on whatever they are set out to do, its not decided by us, we are not the creators. Mini dungeons can be excellent to drive the narrative forward, the lore and enrich the exploration factor. The remains of an ancient civilization, story delivered through gameplay and our desire to know more about hyrule. And you get out of it what you put in.

If you need something to be mandatory for you to enjoy it... then perhaps you are not really into these kinds of games to begin with.

It's the fans that decide what content they want. Nintendo can put out what they please, however it doesn't mean people will like it or have to buy it.

I'm saying what I want the game to be and what I think it needs. I'm not some blind fanboy with his knees behind his ears, eagerly waiting to receive the Nintendo dong any way they want to give it. I'm the one with the money here and If I don't like what they put out I'm going to take my custom elsewhere. Simple as that. By being discerning I demonstrate that I actually care about the content more that someone for instance who would take whatever they put out.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
It's the fans that decide what content they want. Nintendo can put out what they please, however it doesn't mean people will like it or have to buy it.

I'm saying what I want the game to be and what I think it needs. I'm not some blind fanboy with his knees behind his ears, eagerly waiting to receive the Nintendo dong any way they want to give it. I'm the one with the money here and If I don't like what they put out I'm going to take my custom elsewhere. Simple as that. By being discerning I demonstrate that I actually care about the content more that someone for instance who would take whatever they put out.
But I mean....
Just look at every single open world game made(except for Xenoblade). It's at least 80% side content, and the same stays true for the Zelda games as well. You can beat Wind Waker HD probably in about 6 hours if you only did story content. However, that didn't stop the game from being great.

Majoras Mask itself is a game entirely made by sidequests, and it is a beloved games by both fans and critics.

Having a lot of side content and making that the focus can be s good thing, so long as you make it worthwhile, and make the side content add to the main story of the game.

This same format worked perfectly fine for Majoras Mask. It is beloved by many fans, and that shows nowadays as well.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
But I mean....
Just look at every single open world game made(except for Xenoblade). It's at least 80% side content, and the same stays true for the Zelda games as well. You can beat Wind Waker HD probably in about 6 hours if you only did story content. However, that didn't stop the game from being great.

Majoras Mask itself is a game entirely made by sidequests, and it is a beloved games by both fans and critics.

Having a lot of side content and making that the focus can be s good thing, so long as you make it worthwhile, and make the side content add to the main story of the game.

This same format worked perfectly fine for Majoras Mask. It is beloved by many fans, and that shows nowadays as well.

Having more of the type of meaningful side content like in MM would be an excellent thing if combined with a decent lengthed main story similar to TP in size. It's popularity is unmatched except by OOT so they obviously did something right there, so if they can take the best of that game and improve on the complaints, mainly the lack of meaningful exploration and side content, they can make the ultimate Zelda experience that they said they were aiming for.

Is ZeldaU/NX a reboot of Zelda 1?
The Link standing on the cliff image is very similar to a Zelda 1 promo pic. Also Reggie did wear a Zelda 1 shirt at E3 a few hours ago. So who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom