• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda What-Ifs

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Chevy, don't hate me for this, but, TP is basically a failed attempt at a dark game. What I've seen of it is not dark at all, despite the numerous efforts to make it so.
People always say that and it's a pretty lame excuse. It may be somewhat true, but it's a good game despite that.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It would certainly be an interesting way to try to establish a major consequence within the story, although how it would work out I'm not sure. And having Ilia be that consequence wouldn't make much sense since she has hardly any plot relevance as is. If a character is to be killed, for it to mean something, the character needs to have a connection to or be important to the player's perspective. Another character instead, perhaps.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
People always say that and it's a pretty lame excuse. It may be somewhat true, but it's a good game despite that.

I think my issue with TP's story is mostly how basic it is. Aesthetically, the game is dark (as in literally. Everything is brown) and spends its opening post-tutorial minutes acting as if the story will be something more tonally distant from other Zelda games, but then immediately shifts into a bog standard Ganon has returned find the Master Sword routine.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
This is just about the one thing the hd version fixes

It definitely bumps all the textures into HD, but I still find the game's color scheme and graphical style very unappealing. :shrugs:

It would certainly be an interesting way to try to establish a major consequence within the story, although how it would work out I'm not sure. And having Ilia be that consequence wouldn't make much sense since she has hardly any plot relevance as is. If a character is to be killed, for it to mean something, the character needs to have a connection to or be important to the player's perspective. Another character instead, perhaps.

Bold of you to assume Link has a meaningful connection with any character.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I think my issue with TP's story is mostly how basic it is. Aesthetically, the game is dark (as in literally. Everything is brown) and spends its opening post-tutorial minutes acting as if the story will be something more tonally distant from other Zelda games, but then immediately shifts into a bog standard Ganon has returned find the Master Sword routine.
Yeah except Ganon is a big dramatic plot twist towards the end. You find the Master Sword to counter the Shadow Crystal and control the transformations.... I could go on.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yeah except Ganon is a big dramatic plot twist towards the end. You find the Master Sword to counter the Shadow Crystal and control the transformations.... I could go on.
I mean, hardly a twist. Ganon is the villain of almost every single Legend of Zelda game. Him showing up isn't a twist so much as it is making the story even more banal. Whatever your reasons for finding the Master Sword, it's still the same old plot beat that Zelda always hits.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I mean, hardly a twist. Ganon is the villain of almost every single Legend of Zelda game. Him showing up isn't a twist so much as it is making the story even more banal. Whatever your reasons for finding the Master Sword, it's still the same old plot beat that Zelda always hits.
Yes, having similar elements is what makes it a series.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Having identical elements is what makes it stale.
"Identical"
So the issue that we were debating was the MS in TP (And every other Zelda game)
Let's see here:
OoT: Get the MS so you can beat Ganondorf (But it backfires and empowers him)
WW: Get the MS to stop Ganon and save your sister. (But needs to be powered up with the prayers of the sages)
BotW: Get the MS because it's your old sword.
TP: Get the MS so you won't be stuck as a wolf.
So no, the MS in TP isn't "identical" to all the other Zelda games, and even then all the others aren't identical.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
"Identical"
So the issue that we were debating was the MS in TP (And every other Zelda game)
Let's see here:
WW: Get the MS to stop Ganon and save your sister. (But needs to be powered up with the prayers of the sages)
So no, the MS in TP isn't "identical" to all the other Zelda games.
Ultimately, you get and use the Master Sword to kill Ganon. One slight change doesn't do enough to make TP distinct from the other games when the inherent plot structure is nearly the same.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
"Identical"
Let's see here:
So no, the MS in TP isn't "identical" to all the other Zelda games.
Because the plot never evolves, Ganon never changes, and Link still isn't a character. Almost all Zelda games follow the same plot structure. While some pretend to deviate, few actually move away from Master Sword, vaguely mystical Princess Zelda, and Ganon being the bland final boss.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom