• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda What-Ifs

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Found another souce for that thing I was talking about:

"One such concept would have drastically changed the original title, The Legend of Zelda, which would have seen the Triforce pieces as computer chips, being intended to “link” our hero between the medieval world of Hyrule with a more futuristic version (which reiterates the original intention of our protagonist’s name!). Also, Ganon was a vampire… These changes would have modified the entire progression of the series, had Nintendo went with them, but it would be a fun theme to explore!"

I must have read this at some point, because I remember the thing about the computer chips. Also, @ArchAngel217 , this version of Ganon looks right up your alley.

And here's some ALTTP concept art for Zelda that I love:
D4074E20-E08B-4280-8E3F-4FBBDEBA433A.png

Although I really like what ALTTP did with everything as it is, this is still really cool! I wish we got something like this in a finished game. Maybe even in Botw 2 because Shekiah technology and time travel have both been established... (Jk. But I can dream.)

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Well guys, it's been a week! Discussion on the previous question is now closed, unless there's something you really want to add!

For this week's question, I have a bit of a tricky one. I have a lot to say about this, some of it contradictory, so this should be fun:
What If Link had never pulled the Master Sword in OoT? Would he still have been able to defeat Ganondorf?

What If Link had never pulled the Master Sword in OoT? Would he still have been able to defeat Ganondorf?
I...this question hurts me because the answer is clearly no but the game says otherwise. All that Link and Zelda would have had to do to stop Ganondorf was successfully convince the king that a) Zelda's prophetic dreams were, in fact, prophetic and b) THE TRAITOR IS STILL A TRAITOR AND SHOULD PROBABLY BE EXECUTED! Like, I do not know how the king could be so completely and utterly stupid, and his stupidity causes Zelda's weird vigilante justice attempts anyway.

I personally like to see it as the events of Ocarina of Time are inherently necessary for Ganondorf to be defeated, that being the destruction of Hyrule. AND YET the game makes it so that the only difference between round 1 (Adult Timeline) and round 2 (Child Timeline) is that Link has the Triforce of Courage. Which, if this is the case, means that Ganondorf could not have been defeated without Link getting the Triforce of Courage, but that is proven false because Ganondorf isn't even defeated by Link with the Triforce of Courage in the Child Timeline, he is sealed in the Twilight Realm because WHY NOT?

There is also the game-specific requirement of Link needing to be 16 or 17 years old to wield the Master Sword. If the Master Sword is the only thing that can truly defeat Ganon (and Silver/Light arrows), then it would stand to reason that Link would necessarily pull the sword. Except that isn't the case in the Child Timeline, Ganondorf is "defeated" in a different way: by sealing in the Twilight Realm.

So the answer is no, but the answer is also kind of yes.

Uwu_Oocoo2

ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
This is a tricky one, because it always seems to fall back in on itself. If Link didn't pull the master sword, it means Ganondorf wouldn't have entered the sacred realm and obtained the Triforce of power. But it also means Link wouldn't have the Triforce of courage or the Master Sword. But would he need them if Ganondorf was less powerful? I was also under the impression that the sages could only awaken after the door to the sacred realm was open, so they couldn't help either. But once again, would he really need them? Obviously he was able to storm the castle without otherworldly help, but exactly how powerful is he?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
He wouldn't have to. Ganondorf was only a problem because he got the Triforce. He intimated Zelda and scared her into sending Link on a fetch quest for the Spiritual Stones which resulted in the Sacred Realm being opened.

Uwu_Oocoo2

ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Well guys, it's been a week! Discussion on the previous question is now closed, unless there's something you really want to add!

Less discussion on the last one than I had anticipated, but we got some good points! This week's question is a pretty simple one, bc I had school and didn't have much time to think. Be forewarned for Link's Awakening spoilers:
What if Link didn't awaken the Wind Fish?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

Less discussion on the last one than I had anticipated, but we got some good points! This week's question is a pretty simple one, bc I had school and didn't have much time to think. Be forewarned for Link's Awakening spoilers:
What if Link didn't awaken the Wind Fish?

I don't have the same sort of drawn out answer for this, but it is one I've considered.

My take? Nothing significant. The island remains an anomaly, a beacon of life in what was previously a blank sea. If the Windfish doesn't wake up, Koholint Island continues to exist. Whatever power lets the Wind Fish warp reality remains in effect. Without the presence of someone actively trying to destroy Koholint Island, the sentient monsters return to a more docile state.

Euthanizing the Wind Fish is considered. If killed, would the energy maintaining Koholint dissipate?

Were I writing it, the island would keep on living. What would the alternative be? Could a moral Link condemn the entire island to save a single whale, no matter how magical it might be?

Link's Awakening is a story that frustrates me. It acts as if it's going to impose some sort of moral quandary, but then it doesn't. Part of that is the willing handicap Nintendo keeps putting on Legend of Zelda by making Link a mute idiot incapable of making any choice within the narrative. It feels like a story setting up something big, but right before puttering out at the finish line.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
One question that has always bothered is if Link is actually physically in the Wind Fish's dream, or if only his consciousness is there. Because his mind is there but his body is asleep and drifting at sea, that means at any point his body can drown or starve to death. Would his consciousness die with him, or be trapped on the island? If it was trapped on the island, would waking the Wind Fish and destroying the island make him die completely? The idea of the Wind Fish dream thing sounds like it should make sense, but if you really get down to it there is no logic involved. Another factor I find interesting is that if he doesn't wake the Wind Fish, that civilization is doomed anyway. The only children are 4 brothers, and there aren't (aside from Link) any suitable bachelors for Marin. So no matter what Link chooses, they're screwed.

Uwu_Oocoo2

ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer

A bit of a fun question this time around, because it's Friday! Fridays are fun! So here we go:
What if Nintendo made a brand new Zelda game with perfect graphics, story, mechanics, and enjoyability (essentially the perfect Zelda game) except they replaced all the Hylians with Ooccoo, would you play it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom